Something has to change in ranked MP - this is'nt fun anymore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pierredietze, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I also realised that when your rating drops, beating opponents of your skill level will gain you more points than usual.

That's the answer I was looking for. "It'll fix itself, get over it, the sun will rise" isn't really an answer. I mean, I can punch someone in the face, say the same and it will be 100% true. Doesn't make it normal, though.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It is the answer though. Don't worry about fluctuations race to race, the overall trend is what matters. If you have reached a point where you're trend line is more or less flat then that means your rating is at about the right level. If you want to improve from there you have to improve your driving skill. There will always be fluctuations which could be as big as plus/minus 50. That's the way it works and the way it's supposed to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so. Technically it is, but it's too broad. When someone asks about a nuance, an unusual situation, the answer should at least touch on this topic. (Aren't we here to look into the system in details to make it better, hopefully?) Talking about everything but the very point of the question, however, sounds pretty dismissive to me. "It will fix itself" - well duh, but as I mentioned there are many things that also fix themselves that aren't considered normal. What's the difference that makes it fine in this case? That's the point.

5. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    So now we're just arguing semantics. I'm going to leave that one alone.

Here's a thought though.
    If the issue is that people are getting beat by a fast new-comer, why wasn't it a problem when they started out?
    Unless you happen to be rated 1500 or lower, you've done the exact same thing to others when you started out.
    So where are all the complaints about receiving too many points?
    The thing about an ELO system is that it works both ways. People just have a tendency to remember the bad stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Agree with the OP and I'm already thinking of sticking with racing AI only. Being new to raceroom but not racing is proving a real struggle to get out of the rookie servers.

Sitting at the back to improve rating defeats the object of racing and removes any enjoyment.

Running wide isn't an incident for me so to receive points is harsh, can understand it being essential for corner cutting.

Getting points for someone else taking you out for me is ridiculous and very harsh.

In the rookie servers your mastering your trade so to get punished so often it's just off putting and not necessary. I'm literally point counting instead of concentrating on racing.

At least raise the incident point threshold so you don't have to drive around like a nervous wreck trying to avoid the next accident that will DQ you.

As previously mentioned you can rack up 30 points in the first lap if someone isn't paying attention.

For me if the points system is putting people off racing multiplayer then it's failing at what it's trying to achieve.

Back to AI racing for my novice ass lol!

7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    We all go through this period in Sim racing, AI is a tool to improve close proximity racing, race craft and of course pace but don't give up on the real thing. There would be no such thing as Sim racing if we all took the same route, nah; part of improving in Sim racing is taking the crap that comes with it, frustration, disappointment, embarrassment and the big one of course, why oh why, is everyone faster than me. The more you hustle and bustle a car around a track the easier it becomes and the more aware of your opponents you become. All about experience and that only comes from getting back on the horse and going again, although people may shout and swear (me especially) if you make a mistake it is all generally forgotten by the next race, really not worth holding a grudge in this sport, we're all still learning, just some swifter than others. Best bit of advice, get behind someone a tad quicker than yourself, don't overtake, just follow, once you understand why they are quicker, you will be quicker. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    No, I just try to stick to the topic.

9. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Unless your rating is right on the limit of what is required to enter certain races, in which case you're denied entry until it returns to its previous level. You can probably guess how I know this...

But yeah, it's just a game and I get that.

Still, it can be very annoying when this happens, and doubly so when you had very little to nothing to do with the events causing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Perfectly valid opinion, but one thing puzzles me.
    You do realize that iRacing uses the same 'no-fault' incident system that Raceroom uses, right?

11. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not a fan of iracing or their pricing model. Wasn't too impressed with some of the graphics either considering their pricing structure.

I have most of the sims but Raceroom is my go-to, looks pretty good, nice selection of cars (European) and the physics is spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Part of your skill set as a good driver in real life is being aware of what is going on around you. These cars all have mirrors, you have mutiple camera views and you can judge from practice sessions where Wally or the Wallies are. Sometimes it pays to cut a corner or go off track to avoid a shunt as the penalty is lower.

When there is rating at stake it can´t be a free for all or people will just ram all the time. Apportioning blame will result in people gaming the system to their own advantage.

The system is not fair but then neither is life so the best we can do is operate within the limits and report any legitimate bugs or issues such as double jeopardy penalties.

13. ✠UK_SPAWN✠

✠UK_SPAWN✠ Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    the only real thing bothering me at the moment is taking points for other peoples bad driving (and them taking points for my bad driving) and hitting you. lets say 3 or 4 individual people hit you, they each ony got 4 points, you got 16 and you did nothing but race clean and stick to your line and then that last contact or mistake gets you DQ. feel like sometimes youre being bullied off the track.

If its the same person battling it kind of works ok as you know they are getting points also...

The other day in the 1hr race a guy in front made a tiny mistake 2 corners from the finish and i ended up touching his rear bumper and i disqualified him. I felt so terrible for them. so its not about "me, me, me"

it just doesnt feel right and it does feel like points watching and tactically using them rather than racing sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  14. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Sorry mate, that was my bad. I read it as IRacing, not AI racing. :oops:
    Time for a trip to SpecSavers I think......

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 16sth

16sth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    He might have had all off/cut tracks and punted others himself. Yours was just at the end of cumulative incident points

They actually do that in real life. Aussie 'Supercars' at Adelaide. 3 strikes over turn 2 and it's a drive through. Some drivers will purposely avoid any strikes until late in the race when they know they can take advantage of using more kerb.

Maybe DQ overall is a bit harsh. Perhaps a drive through or 'stop and go' might be more appropriate?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mirrors are kinda irrelevant when a "Wally" is on track. Many people race for the simulation feel so inside cockpit and a good fov, downside is you have a limited view unless in VR or using triples.

Regardless of your view it's difficult to predict a shunt or sideswipe.

If I'm out practicing or qualifying I'm concentrating on the course, learning the corners and improving time, you don't get to see everyone or remember them, can't see many people doing that tbh.

Not requesting to remove the points system as that would be ridiculous and as you say it would be a ram fest, asking to modify it in certain areas, more leanent in rookie servers and stricter in the higher class servers, modify the going off track limit in certain areas.

Always room for improvement, that's how things evolve just like life

17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Only had a couple races yesterday, how I got through to the end of the Monza wreck fest was just pure luck. Couple points, why are people not penalized for speeding in the pits during Qualifying? You sit and wait patiently for a gap, pull out and then a couple dicks just waltz past and create a traffic jam, you slow to make a gap and more people overtake, if we're gonna play by rules then use them. Ramps the frustration up to a high level before we've even started. Chap did it in the Monza race, sped past, hit the car ahead trying to overtake, then dropped back and filled a hole that wasn't there, he then proceeded to hold up both my fast laps. In the race he was directly behind me and gave me 24pts of rear tappage, before tapping me a bit hard at the second chicane on the last lap, overtaking and going on to finish ahead of me. It was at this point I took it that this was the time to stop racing for the day. No doubt tappy, tappy continued to race unaware of what an utter dick he is.
    This highlights what's going on, clean drivers get mugged by dicks and go do something else, while the toe rags continue on their merry way spoiling yet more peoples races.
    Gentlemen/women, speeding in the pit lane just highlights what utter contempt you have for the rest of us and Dev's please fix this, why it is still possible is beyond me. Guess it was only one point, just stretched out! :)

18. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    This one I really don't understand :eek:
    I was pretty surprised to see that you don't have to respect pit limit during practice and Quali... Usually the first thing I do is put my limiter on, but now I do like everyone => full speed because otherwise you can't get the spot you're looking at for your hot lap

19. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    But on the other hand, you sometimes encounter respectful racers instead of wreckers.
    Lets stop for a moment to admire this beautiful T1 Monza yesterday on a ranked server :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It would be better just to have no out lap that way no being held up or holding up others, less time wasting and if you screw your lap up you can just respawn.