Released Sonoma Raceway

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, Feb 13, 2015.

1. MrBiscotte

MrBiscotte Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Yes ! Nice work on this track ! Great feeling. Thanks.

2. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Ahh Sector 3, you've done it again. Another quality track. 10/10. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zonic2001

Zonic2001 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Wow!!!! Sonoma is hard to drive... took me many laps to get it right. Didn't know it was this challenging of a track!!! Excellent job Sector3. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    i noticed in the WTCC drivers hotlap he mentioned a section of the track that is 'always' dusty & therefore has low grip. i was wondering if that was implemented or if itd be possible to implement/if s3 even think it would be a good idea to do so?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I feel dumb, having just learnt Sonoma = Sears Point, one of the few tracks I liked in NASCAR Racing 2 (because it wasn't oval ... yeah, I know :D). Just to be sure, Watkins Glen is still called Watkins Glen, right ? :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Zonic2001

Zonic2001 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Last time I checked is still Watkins Glen.

7. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Sonoma Raceway, the track formerly known as...;)

Sears Point Raceway (1967–2001)
    Infineon Raceway (2002–2012)
    Sonoma Raceway (2012-Present)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    iirc, earlier they mentioned something about a new weather-tech introduced in sonoma .... anything special to see?!

9. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly, Sonoma is the first track we have released that has a unique light setting specific to this track. Previous tracks all shared the same general light settings.

10. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Watkins Glen is just 'the Glen' :D

@Hannes Wallstedt - by unique light setting, do you mean there is another new time of day feature just for Sonoma or is this just a graphic enhancement? Either way, is this something that can/will be rolled out to all tracks?

11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The track looks beautiful and runs well.
    I had some fun with running the WTCC in that layout.
    But when I ran the ADAC 2013 many AI cars got lost in the main start finish area.
    and just seemed to wander around there on the tarmac.

12. Matteo Stirati

Matteo Stirati Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Great work, I was racing Sonoma with wtcc, such an amazing experience!! RR became my new favourite sim among all!! Totally unexpected (I was playing a lot AC) but definitely deserved!!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Sonoma has custom lighting for EACH time of day, as opposed to one global setting that is adjusted depending upon the time chosen.

14. Mue

Mue Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    awesome track, absolutely great work s3!!!

15. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I'ts just a set of tweaks to light settings, such as saturation, that are specific to this track. Whether a track will receive a unique light setting is entirely dependent on whether we feel it is necessary to achieve the look we want for that track. Sonoma, for instance, is out in the middle of the desert and as such we wanted to tweak the lighting to match that.

While it certainly is possible that some old tracks may receive updated lighting, this is mostly something that will be seen on the new tracks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Hannes,
    I recently complained about distorted/fuzzy dynamic shadows at low/medium gfx settings (using with 1600x900 res) - while I`ve got back to 1920x res cause it actually works like charm since I switched off all dynamic shadows & increased contact shadows up to 16 (guess with better rig you can max them out) and NOW (while not distracted by strange shadow dynamics anymore) it looks almost perfect, cause its obvious how much work you`ve put into the right look regarding light tweaking in connection with time of day settings : Beautiful !
    I don`t miss dynamic shadows that way.....and for my taste they don`t have to be superrealistic in terms of saturation ("blackness") and intensity (dynamic movements) - for lower performance rigs they should just "mimic" real-time dynamics correctly and a light grey tone would be fully enough (if this might have anything to do with performance issues)...hope its clear what I mean.

17. Leigh

Leigh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    On the off chance that S3 ever find themselves looking to spice up older tracks, I present to you a very green version of Sonoma Raceway. Looks completely different, does it not?

• Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    better video ;):

... but we know what you mean. That's why I really like the idea of different seasons for each race track like you can find in PCars2.

• Like Like x 4
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Even in Raceroom such a thing is existent already... But only on Hockenheim, where an autum-Version is available when driving GT-Masters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Not entirely different but much better. Even if I like the layout of US "Desert Tracks" like Sonoma or Laguna (or arabian ones, while they are too much Tilke-like for my taste, mostly ) it's the sheer lack of an interesting enviroment (that also creates immersion and I don't talk about postmodern Satelite Cities built from scratch) that makes them a bit boring (and somehow exhausting) to drive to me...
    I mean come on , just think of the Green Hell, Spa or US Tracks like Road Atlanta or the lately released Road America....

• Agree Agree x 2