Sonoma resource hog - ended up costing me way more $$$$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElNino, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is! I was not looking for a card that can run 3 monitors and I am sticking with 1080p for a while.
    I paid 242 CDN$ for it, quite a lot less than the 970 which is out of my budget!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Groovy, you've inspired me to keep upgrading. I went ahead and ordered a second used R9 290 (not x, but should run fine with 290x) to run in crossfire, along with a new 1000w PSU to feed these monsters. I'm hoping that since i'm running triples, it should scale decently even if not truly supported. I will post back here once i get it installed and tested. I actually thought about going to nvidia instead, but the 290x i have is a bday gift from my wife, so that needs to stay for awhile.

I don't expect sonoma to run well on high, since even if FPS doubled it would still be lagging badly at certain corners, but i'll try it out anyway. Mainly hoping ETS2 runs better on high settings and marginal improvements in R3E.

3. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @ElNino nice! I went the Nvidia way because of bad linux support. I am quite happy that big titles are now ported, Cities:Skylines runs smooth. :)
    I have ETS2 installed on ubuntu, haven't played much in a long time. I don't know if it supports the xbox controller.
    My next upgrades will be another SSD drive, a strong CPU heatsink/fan so I can oc my 6300 again. :)

4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ETS2 worked great with windows 8 version and xbox controller, youd think they would have that worked out for a linux release, but maybe not. I started ETS2 on xbox controller - that's what got me started buying a decent wheel and triple monitors, and then into racing sims....I blame it all on ETS2....

One minute i'm installing some trucking game that looks interesting, the next thing I know i'm ordering a 1000w power supply for crossfire.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    :D
    I played about 3h on ETS2 but it was with the keyboard, such a pain! It was more of a rampage than driving! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1