'Speed Indicator' Setting also Changes the Unit of Measure for Fuel - Doesn't Work for UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lanius1984, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Just a minor issue - as the title suggests.

When I choose MPH as my speed indicator, it then changes my fuel measure to Gallons... Here in the UK, we use MPH and Litres, but I have no choice for that.

Would be nice for these settings to be separated.

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Actually that is correct both mph and gallons are imperial mesures , now the question you really need to ask is the gallons the english or the american version ?

Andi

3. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I know it's 'correct', but it doesn't give UK users the option of their version of correct :eek:

We use Litres and MPH - so it is incorrect for me in-game, and no way to change one without making the other wrong.

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    All that option does is change from metric to imperial , but i will ask

Andi

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Balls. In the UK we always quote miles per gallon. You may buy it in litres because the EU said we have to but that's all.

6. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I have never used gallons outside of this generic measure of how far your new car won't get you on a new tank. Litres is the way we all use this now surely?
    (even every day stuff is measured in Litres, like water, drinks etc unlike the US which still uses Gallons for this I assume)

Either way, not much to actually argue over here - this setting in-game says nothing about changing Fuel measure, it only states it's for Speed - having these separately controlled would allow weird people like me to mix the 2... but I imagine lots in the UK do use this mix. Never had this issue in any other sim.

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I actually made a request to change that setting quite some time ago, looks like it got drowned under a pile of more important stuff.
    But it's still there, so some day it will get "fixed".
    I'll give it a bump.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I suppose you don't drink pints of beer or milk either then?

9. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if you just like arguing :p

I have no idea how a pint relates to a gallon (I'm sure it does by the way, just that we don't use gallons for any real measures!).

Fair to say the UK is in a bit of a transition away from Imperial, and towards Metric, but we're stuck somewhere in the middle - I think age may play a part here too.

Amazing if this setting already works for you mate - it doesn't for me.

10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it just a "what number describes my feeling towards the thing better" thing? ;)

AfaIk many people use °C when they talk about cold temperatures but they use °F when talking about hot weather.
    -10 °C sounds a lot colder than 14 °F and 90 °F sounds a lot hotter than 32 °C.

11. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    In the UK? I personally didn't think so, I don't know anyone that uses °F for example and I can't recall the conversion formula from school :confused: Honestly, I thought we were exclusively °C. Just goes to show, a setting to allow control can be quite useful!

My dad still mentions gallons from time to time I think, but he's 67...

12. graveltrap

graveltrap New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As knowing how fast you are travelling is not really that important on a race track, so I just use metric values ;)