Starting clutch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi there.

I've been meaning to post this for ages but keep forgetting.

For years now I've felt driving sims have been missing a trick with starting and clutch control. The thought first hit me way back when I played using a controller, but it's also really apparent with my wheel setup. My setup is maybe unusual, I have no pedals, throttle and brake are on analogue paddles on the wheel, very similar to a controller, there simply isn't any space for another paddle for the clutch, so I have to use a button.

On the start line it's nice that the game expects you to have a foot on the brake, most don't. But what if that brake paddle/trigger/pedal could be a clutch? Obviously this would have to be an option.

In normal mode where people have all the controls it would be just as it is.
    In 'brake/clutch' mode the game would automatically apply the brakes and use the brake paddle as a starting clutch. As soon as the clutch has been fully engaged the paddle becomes a brake again.

This would only be for starts or when the car comes to a complete stop.

At least this way people with controllers would be able to choose to use a clutch for starting and pit stops, and weirdos like me!

Any thoughts?