Steering Wheels?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smokin Jo, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Smokin Jo

Smokin Jo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Could anyone recommend a good budget starter steering wheel & pedals please?
    I used to race a lot a good while ago (Microprose Grand Prix 1 & 2) using the keyboard so I have no experience with steering wheels other than the one in my Scooby :)
    I have tried using keys on this sim and its terrible so I thought I would try a budget wheel to see how I get on with it. I have looked at the Logitech driving force GT which seems to have a lot of good reviews on Amazon.
    Would you recommend that product as a good way to start?
    Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    for a beginner you cant go wrong with the dfgt. its really the best at its price range and works great with r3e.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. The DFGT was my first 'proper' wheel and for the price it's unbeatable. It's very solid and durable, comfortable to use with surprisingly good (and strong) FFB. The lack of proper paddles is a shame but the shift buttons are a decent compromise. The pedals aren't great but you don't expect much at this price point. The brake can be easily modded for stiffer feel.

The DFGT is a wheel that could do the job for many years if coupled-up with a good pedal set.

You could also look at the Thrustmaster T100 at this price point but I know nothing about it. I think I'd rather go for the tried-and-tested DFGT as a safe bet.

4. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Three voices in unison then, can't go wrong with the DFGT for a solid tried and tested cheaper steering wheel.

5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Yep my dfgt was ace.... My brake mod was a squash ball...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Not the same price, T150 is 100€ more than DFGT, so for that price I would go for the G27.

Edit: The T100 force feedback could be compared to the DFGT.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  8. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    noone said it is :), but not the same feeling as well. if t150 will feel like t300/tx, imo it will worth to spend 100 more (and nowdays 200 euro is still a low budget wheel set).

9. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you're right about the FFB, but those awful pedals and the lack of a shifter would make think it twice. ;)

10. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I got a used DFGT for $50....works great...pedals are average, but wheel is good and has sequential stick as well.

11. Smokin Jo

Smokin Jo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. I bought a DFGT earlier this week but not had a chance to use it yet.