Stuttering Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueFlight, May 2, 2016.

1. BlueFlight

BlueFlight New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I am completely new here and today was the day i installed Race Room finally.
    I was very looking forward to it but after setting up a race I immediately noticed a heavy stuttering every 1-2 seconds which makes the game completely unplayable of course.
    That's quite strange since I can run other games like Project Cars or GTA5 on maximum settings.
    My system specs are:

I7-5960x
    GTX980 ti
    32 GB RAM
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10

Has anyone an idea what's causing this maybe?
    Thanks for every response.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    glad you gave Raceroom a shot.
    It's a bit of a workaround but other users (with very potent GPUs) have reported that switching the display mode from fullscreen to windowed cured stuttering for them. Give it a try and report back if it doesn't help.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I have a comparable system except for a few generations older CPU and I can definitely say I do not get this behavior with Windowed. So as Christian said it's at least worth trying to see if it helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlueFlight

BlueFlight New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That did the trick!
    Thank you so much Christian and Hamster, excellent forum service :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PECHOUX

PECHOUX New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    Stuttering (if it's really stuttering) can be very very difficult to solve. And once you saw it, you can't play anymore.

Stuttering is this: Despite a high number of FPS, game is not smooth, it's like there are some permanent micro freezes when linear action (like car running on a road). you can mostly see stuttering by look far the environment when turning.

Reason is this
    The screen (except Gsync screen or some else) usually can display 60 Frame per second, not one more. Graphic card is sending maybe 200FPS and you see stuttering!!
    That's because, to summarize, the dispatch of FPS in one second is not good. If you split the frame dispatch into this second, you have maybe 50% of frames in the first quarter, nothing during the next two quarters, and 50% on the last quarter. Repeat this on all seconds, and you've got stuttering.

FIRST thing (the most common and efficient) is to check Vertical Synchronisation. It must be enabled. You can choose "use application parameters" or "activated". Avoid "adaptive", the results are often stranges.
    When Sync V is activated, tripple buffering option MUST be activated to have the better "smooth". (Advanced Nvida Devs infos).
    What Sync V do, is firstly to send 60fps (no need to send 200 when screen can only display 60), and most important, it dispatch the frames a lot more regulary into one second.
    N.B: Careful if the Pc is not powerfull enough to have ALWAYS 60 fps in game, because in case you have just 59 fps (start of race for exemple), there will be instant limitation of half of FPS, becomming quickly 25/30 fps....not goooood....

This was for theory, sorry...

Maybe you did already enabled the V sync? and it's not enough?

I spend hours, nights, days, almost a year of regular test sessions because I had some stuttering on my configuration. There are so many parameters which can have influence on stuttering: Graphic engine / Games paramèters /drivers settings/ screen / and harware in PC unit of course.

In my case, I finally found what was causing stuttering, (at the end of course).....It was the memory channel managing by the motherboard, AND the advanced speed parameters.
    It appears than the tripple chanel had a very bad managment on my gigabyte MB. If in dual channel, better results, and in single channel, it was almost good. The last parameters to do not have stuttering anymore was to set manually (with the help of manufacturer datasheets and a advanced memory soft) ALL (including very Advanced) speeds and parameters of memory. The result is perfect.

Before this, I changed some parts, like Graphic card, SSD, memory, without results.

If you want some more explanations, maybe I can help. But as I said before, Try the Vertical Sync with tripple buffering in full screen.

I have a old core I7 3,9ghz / Gigagyte UD5R MB / 1 single 4GB memory / gtx 980ti.
    Everythings (except project cars...but i dont care) run in high details ultra smooth at constant 60FPS. As I'm playing on 46" LCD TV I need AA and some other features like new scaled NVIDIA graphic interpolation activated (DSR).... and NO stuttering anymore.

4 go memory can seems not enough, but I've a G15 keyboard with processor and memory use in real time in game on the keyboard screen. It appears than very few racing game use more than 3 / 3.2GB memory (O.S included). the ony one using almost 4GB is project cars wich is near 3.6go use. Most work is done by graphic card. In all my tests, except stuttering difference, i did not see losing perfs because of less memory.

Best regards,

Charles

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I'm never use V-sync. Some peoples have input lag with this options switched on. Instead this, i'm use FPS Limit. Display frequency + 1. My Apple Thunderbolt Display is 60Hz. I'm use FPS limit - 61

7. PECHOUX

PECHOUX New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes sometimes FPS limiter works well to, but my opinion is V sync is more effective.

8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Wow, when i swapped motherboards awhile back (exact same CPU and GPU), it absolutely fixed the bad stuttering i was having, specifically at Sonoma and Shanghai. I have never seen such a performance difference from swapping out a motherboard so it was hard to believe, but this just reinforces this. Thanks for posting this. In my case, it was 100% an issue/limitation with the motherboard. I have not had ANY stuttering problems since switching to the new board.

9. PECHOUX

PECHOUX New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I had some circuits more subject to Stutt.too.
    My next step was to change motherboard, memory, and processor. I really spend so much time to find why there was stuttering, but i was not sure that changing these parts would have been effective, because I called some friends to come with some other PC units. Two were having a little stuttering. One didn't. But, i agree with you, it's now clear for me that the first hardware to change is motherboard. But try to explain to your wife than, you're going to spend lot of money without to be sure it'll work. :=)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You not been married long.
    Yes darling, this part here broke, it made that one there not work properly and if i buy them two there it will all work perfectly.
    Just tell her it worked perfectly and sell the other bits behind her back, tell her you binned them and you then get beer money on top of a better computer ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    sneaky, but dangerous :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    It's like the old guitarist trick, leave the house with empty guitar case. Be sure to say goodbye to the wife so she sees you with the case. Buy new guitar, put in case, show up back at home with same case.

A week or two later..."oh that??? No i've had that one, I just replaced the pickguard"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I can see how that would work, unfortunately my son would soon give the game away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Honey, you look so good today, have you been hairdressing?
    Your pants fit so well, you must have lost 5 pounds!
    The dinner yesterday, it was perfect, where did you learn to cook that way? Must have been your mom!
    How can you do this,? Amazing!
    By the way, there was a new graphic board at sales, I couldn't resist, but you really look so good!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I find it both interesting and comforting that these types of spouse and hobby money situations exist across all continents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    To me it's more a matter of bad conscience than a real conflict about money. My wife is very understanding.
    She goes and buys some plants for the garden! Thats here hobby.

17. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Oh man...been there, done that...sooo many times :oops:

• Like Like x 1