Problem Sudden Performance-Problems

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by m.bohlken, Jan 23, 2018.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure since when it happen exactly but since some days I noticed some sudden Performance-Problems while playing in VR.
    I noticed it the first time after the Hotfix with the Shadow-Correction for VR (Hotfix from 10.01.2018).

Today I did a Multiplayer-Race in Zolder. That session described the problem very good I think.
    During qualifying everything was good. The Headmovement were smooth and no stuttering was noteable. As the Session came to an end I was standing in the pit. As the Session was quite full, I had to share my Pit-Position with several other cars --> to be honest that was looking like another problem too, as there were four or five cars on on spot while on other spots there was just one car.

But back to the problem - as the session ends I was sitting in the car, with the flickering of the other cars around me. After that the game switched in the "Preparing the Server"-Mode together with a switch of the cam. In that moment I already noticed a stuttering while moving my head (in VR). Coming back to the then following Warm-Up-Session the stuttering was extremly noteable. To be honest it was to a point in which it wasn't really drivable anymore but I tried atleast. Unfortunately that stuttering stayed till the end of the race.

The Video-Settings: Shadow and Reflection on Medium, the rest on high I think. Launch-Option is Set on "-vr 2.0" no other Super-Sampling is active. MSAA through Nvidia Inspector on 4x MSAA. ASW is locked on active, Asynchronous Reprojection is active... And to remember - in Qualifying everything was still smooth.
    I checked Steam-Cache already - no problem found.

Does someone else have notice something like that?

In the attachement the Log-Files from today.

Attached Files:

2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is that looking like the whole screen is stuttering? Had that yesterday, too. I don't know, what it was. Toggling ASW Off and on did the trick for me. Seems that Oculus had a problem there.

3. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, exactly... but only when there is alot movement like turning the head left/right or driving through a corner...

The Strange thing is, that it was running smooth a few seconds before but started after the switch to a different perspective or something like that...
    And in addition - I didn't notice any change in the Oculus-Driver.... But as I wrote I remember a little update of SteamVR a few days ago...

4. jenseits

jenseits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem here. The stuttering also appeared while the session changed from qualifying to race. In addition to the stuttering I think the framerate drops a little bit too.

5. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but it's absolutely random.
    Could you both try to Ctrl+numpad 1-4 many times to roll between the ASW modes of Oculus?

I think, I could fix it with this in this case.

6. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Thanks - I will have a look at that for sure.

7. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    And please share your experience with it.
    But, if working or not: hopefully the devs (S3 or Oculus) are aware of this problems.

I think, it's a sync problem when the system is in huge stress. When you shake your head, the processor have to calculate many strings and I think, that the picture doesn't came to sync again.
    Next time I will try to test if I can see the double lines only with two eyes, or with one eye only. If it is with two eyes only, it should be a sync error from the VR headset.

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Could it be related toOthe meltdown and spectre patch?

9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Test was positive:
    Yesterday I had this problem again and hitting Ctrl+Numpad1 or 2, 3, 4 many times has solved it.

10. jenseits

jenseits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can I change the keybindings. Because my wireless keyboard has no numpad.

11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely have no idea. Sorry!

12. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    the last times I've played, the problem doesn't appear again. I've signed into SteamVR beta before and updated the Oculus-Driver/Software which was available short after my last post regarding this problem.

Do some of you still have that problem?