Suggestion: button management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Currently, to alter ABS and TC in cars, all in all 4 buttons would be needed: one for up and one for down per function. On wheels, buttons are precious, since they are limited, in VR additional hardware or a button box is no so good an option.

Currently when you have reached the upper or lower value of the TC and ABS scale, it is fixed there: you need the other button to move opposite again.

I suggest to make there a third key binding in the options, per ABS and TC: a "toggle" switch, so when you have gone through TC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - you then press the very same button again and start with 1 again. That way, only 2 buttons would be needed to make all ABS and TC values accessible in cars, instead of 4 buttons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    A integrated option to have some kind of "shift" key would be nice, or Short/Long press
    For now i use Joy2Key, It has options to achieve exactly this.
    It's free and very very powerful
    https://joytokey.net/en/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can. Since last upgrade. ;) You have to enable according two options in pitstop menus ("factory" if the car has it in real life as well, or "always on", enforcing it also on cars which have it not in reality), and have to map keys to commands in menu.

I ignore ABS currently, since I have no buttons left and drive VR.

4. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    You can set the ABS (Factory, Artifical, Off) In the Menu, but there are no Buttons to control it while Driving.
    Its not a controllable ABS level like 1,2,3,4,5,6...

5. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I think you misunderstood those ABS settings. Those are assists. It's not like TC presets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    And why are there two ABS functions in the keymapping menu that must be mapped, one upwards and one downwards...? :rolleyes: Additional to the ABS options in pitstop main menu (off, factory, on)? Like it is with TC as well.

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The buttons must be mapped in the keymapping menu. By default they are empty slots.

8. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I really don't find it.
    Could you make a screenshot?

9. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Me neither

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Whoops!! Someone is getting his Sims mixed up! :oops:

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am puzzled now. I could swear I saw it when checking the keymap menu when the oatch was released and I read their explanation on ABS somewhere, and I checke dit again yesterday afternoon before writing the above. After the question ny Nico - it suddenly is gone...? Since oyu all seem to agree it is not there, it must be my mistake most likely, but I really wonder what has tricked me so badly there. And no, I do not mistake it with ACC. Weired, I am confused.

However, the options in the pit mai menu read like this:
    - off
    - ABS
    - Werks-ABS - ja
    - unterstützt

I take it that "unterstützt" means assisted braking, "ABS" means enforcing aBS on cars even if they do not have it in reality, and "Werk-ABS ja" means factory setting: ABS available if the real car has it as well although series regulations may ban it).

Well. I still would like to need just one single button instead of two to switch thorugh all TC settings. As OtterNas3 probaly meant to hint at, ACC has a superior design there, effectively tripeling the number of available buttons to map. This should be shamelessly copied, simply that. While the mapping initially is confusing, once you understood the ide abehind it, it is a design that hardly can be any better.

All drinks and laughs on me today.:)

12. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    There is one big difference compared to AC (never used ACC so I don't know the menu). You cannot enable assists on the fly. In AC1, you had to select the wanted assist before you start the session. In R3E, you can do it whenever you want.

Assisted braking means that the car brakes for you when approaching a corner, if you brake or lift off enough (depending on the situation), it will stop doing that. It's in fact what happened in the previous "Novice" mode (the car braked by itself when approaching corners etc).

If the car has factory TC (like GTR3 cars), you can use TC presets. If you change to TC - ON, it will have a more aggressive kind of TC (in cars without factory TC, you will get a weight penalty because you use an assist).

It's the same principle for ABS - ON (except that you don't have a weight penalty because ABS ON is less efficient (slightly longer braking distance).

I don't see the point of wanting to map buttons to those assists. Normally, you choose them once and then you don't change it anymore (or rarely).

13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I do not need buttons for mere assists, yes, but for changing TC and ABS settings, they are needed, and that drivers change TC setttings even before every corner is something that was introduced already by Michael Schumacher (at least in F1). If I - for whatever a reason - misunderstood ABS and how it is used in RR, settings are not needed for it in cockpit indeed, but the two buttons for TC still could be reduced to just one. I use them in longer driving sessions for sure, like brake balance as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Just to be clear: in R3E, there are no ABS settings like for TC. Basically, it's ON or OFF.

For the two buttons of TC, you would just want to have one button like for switching between virtual data display pages. But I think that it would annoy people when you have to push multiple times to get one level down (like push 5 times to go level 3 when you were in level 4).

Brake balance are two buttons and it should stay like that in my opinion :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I see what you mean. ACC has done quite an impressive job on the possibilities you can configure buttons.
    Many options have an advanced screen, where you can set such things as i.e. Longpress for 1sec and use the same button as for another functionality.
    There is also the checkbox for cycle through if I remember it correctly to start at the beginning after the last (TC i.e.) option.

All for maximum customization so to say.

16. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    The red dial on the DFGT wheel is useful for changing the level of TC.

17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Get a wheel with a toggle switch or 2. ;)
    Had to change wheels because of a shoulder injury, tried a F1 wheel, hated it at first but could change gears with one hand, so had no option, wouldn't use anything other than an F1 style rim now, great for rotation firstly but the plethora of buttons & switches should make it a must have for VR users. I also have a button box for start/ignition and actually use the toggles on this for BB &TC, a further toggle I use for Launch control, box is right by my left hand, so easier than trying to use a moving wheel. The Dpad and the 2 buttons next to it take care of all pit functions, being able to go up/down the gearbox with one hand makes all aspects of boxing simple. Don't think I will ever use another type of wheel and if you have the dollar there are so many other functions it can take on, HUD, clutch etc etc.
    Forced upon me but I'd fight anyone to keep hold of it, revelation is an understatement.

18. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    If you have a mobile phone or tablet, I have found 'SIM Dashboard' to be a good app for creating dashboards and virtual button boxes if you need more buttons.

Dan has produced a good video here explaining all about it. He starts talking at 45 seconds in.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  19. Leigh

Leigh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Thanks for sharing! ;)

20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The default rim for my CSL Elite PS4 has 18 buttons/clicks, if counting coolie hat and paddels (one button I did not count, it is needed for accessiung the hardware menu), and I would like to reduce button waste for principal reasons instead of curing it with investing 200-500 copins for any new wheel rim. Also I talk of easy-to-use, I could attach my old CH ProThrottle as bvutotn box again, but ,my table is crowded and connectors are limited already. Fimnally, I drive Vr exlusvely, so have o sight on my real world environment. Apps for smartphones or tablets and button boxes thus are no option as well. I had used such things until one year ago, and found I never used it, was a bit tired of always starting two or three other programs before finally going to the sim itself. I still must now launch Oculus software manually (I have it off by default), and then need to recallibrate my pedals almost every time in Window soptiopns due to this wonderful pest named Windows 10. And CrewChief (well, her eI do not complain).

Lets keep it simple. The button use in Raceroom has plenty of space for optimization, and the way ACC does it shows the optimum, mor eor less, effetcively tripling the number of available buttons. Without any external hokuspokus done. Conclusion: here is space for raceroom to improve on something.