Bug Surround sound bug found

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Insert Coin, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    @nate
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

@Anthony Monteil
    I understand the dilemma you are facing. Reproducing any issue is necessary to get the data and implement fixes.
    It does seem that audio in front can be heard clearly, but beside and behind must be at extremely low volume - somehow.

Here is a list of cars I have been driving.....
    single player practice sessions and/or leaderboard laps
    WTCC 2015 @ Paul Ricard
    WTCC 2015 @ Salzburgring
    M1 Procar @ Salzburgring
    GTO Mustang @ Spa
    GTO Mustang @ Oschersleben
    300zx @ Hockenheim
    All exhibit loud, ear shattering, distorted sound when running over curbs/3D rumble strips.

After finding this thread, I only tested the GTO Mustang in a race against AI @ Redbull ring (several times)
    I just watched a replay video. Can you access my video replays? The deficiencies are present.
    Unfortunately, I tend to clean out my video replays so as not to clutter up your servers, so I did not save them all.

Regardless, let me give Nates suggestions a try and I will report back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    @nate, your suggestion did not work.

@Anthony Monteil
    I tried this experiment: Volume settings in 7.1 surround and in Stereo settings
    Master volume 100%
    Opponent Car 100%
    Player Volume 100%
    Engine Volume 10%
    Scrub Volume 40%
    Skid Volume 40%
    Roadfeel effects 40%
    Reverb Factor 100%
    All other volume settings at "0"

Race 1: GTO Mustang at RedBull Ring
    I can hear cars in front of me. The Audi is very noticeable, the 300zx barely perceptible....and maybe my engine masks the other Mustangs? i can't hear it.
    Side by side? Imperceptible.

Race 2: GTR2 Porsche at Zandvoort
    I purposely started last, so I could drive side by side with another car without the other car audio interfering.
    I can hear multiple cars in front of me driving away, but driving side by side with a corvette, the corvette audio is barely perceptible and we were the very last 2 cars, at least 5 seconds in back.

In both races, the opponent's car lowers it's volume, even though I have it set to 100% - so I can barely hear them.
    I only hear the bumps on the track surface or the curbs when the distortion is present.

I kept the replay videos, if that helps. Or if you would like, I could make a youtube video recording and post it here.

Very strange indeed.

If you need me to be a guinea pig for trying different things to get this sorted, let me know.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's some good information there mate, thanks.

I will try to test and reproduce this to see if I can offer the devs anything you havent already said. Sadly, I may not be able to reproduce this though, but I'll give it a shot.

Just curious though, do you notice any of these same audio issues when using stereo mode (such as with headphones or simply 2 speakers)? Or are all of these issues solely related to using the surround sound in 5.1 or 7.1 mode?

Im not familiar with how R3E's audio system in game works, but if it also happens in stereo mode, that may mean it is a universal issue and be easier to identify.

4. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    For now, I tested the 7.1 surround and Stereo settings in-game.
    I am using Logitech headphones. All are USB headphones.

I'm at a loss.
    Thus far I have some mixed results in my bug finding. I reset my audio to default settings as per your instructions.

1) No noticeable sound distortion for my Leaderboard laps - Pre and Post physics update.
    Aquila cup at Raceroom Raceway (1:33). Post update
    GTO Mustang at Oschersleben (1:28) Post update
    Daytona Prototype at Slovakia Ring (1:54?) Pre update
    2 different types of engines. 3 different types of curbs

2) Single player Race = sound distortion of 3d curbs and bumps/driving on grass and low volume of audio from other cars

3) Single player practice (single car) = sound distortion over curbs/bumps

4) Multiplayer Race 1 = VERY BAD sound distortion. (Canhard R52 at raceroom raceway)
    Starting Grid was horrible causing my headphones to cut in and out when engines were revving.
    Tunnel was so loud and distorted my headphones stopped working (no sound) until the car exited the tunnel

5) Multiplayer Race 2 = no sound distortion at all (Canhard R51 at Raceroom raceway)

I'll revisit this after I get some sleep.

5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I've had no problem with suround sound but that distortion sound from GR5 cars and some other cars for a long time always asumed it was my crapy system causing it ha ha... and I have had serious issus with the curb FFB seting causing heavy studer and lag effect when driving over higher curbs like Hockenheim curv one curb, all curbs like that caused heavy studer and lagg and made it imposible for me to drive over them. So I turned of the FFB seting for the curbs to 0% since I still can feel the curbs thrugh all other setings and after that all are perfect and for some reason the distortet sound is gone too. Don't now how that is linked and yea it's only when in game is set to 5.1 I hear that diostortion even if it is sent out to a 2.1 or I activate all 5 speakers, or using headphones and it comes back if I turn the FFB seting for curbs to even as low as 1% distortion is back when I am in cockpit that is on some GR5 cars and high rev cars like BMW touring class... Don't know if this could be of any help :D

6. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well.....not sure what is happening.....
    I leave my computer on overnight. This morning, I plug in my logitech headphones and they aren't recognized by any audio drivers. Re-installation of Logitech and Win7 drivers and voila! No more distortion.

Why did it only affect R3E? "sound dudes" created such full, rich, audio (compared to the other sims/games) that my audio programs couldn't deal with the dynamic sounds. "Sounds" like a good reason to me. ;)

signed....Perplexed.

7. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    LOL, I don't think the "richness" of the sounds can cause all the problems you mentioned, but this "I leave my computer on overnight. This morning, I plug in my logitech headphones and they aren't recognized by any audio drivers. Re-installation of Logitech and Win7 drivers and voila! No more distortion", could you confirm that reinstalling Logitech and Win7 drivers fixed the distortion issue?

Because if it's the case, then it might be a Windows update or a specific issue with this kind of hardware and drivers (surround headphones especially).
    We would need to test your Logitech headphones and see if we can reproduce it but I'm afraid we won't be able to do that soon.

Also, this looks like a totally different issue that I can't reproduce either (in any mode stereo/5.1/7.1) :

"Race 1: GTO Mustang at RedBull Ring
    I can hear cars in front of me. The Audi is very noticeable, the 300zx barely perceptible....and maybe my engine masks the other Mustangs? i can't hear it.
    Side by side? Imperceptible.

Race 2: GTR2 Porsche at Zandvoort
    I purposely started last, so I could drive side by side with another car without the other car audio interfering.
    I can hear multiple cars in front of me driving away, but driving side by side with a corvette, the corvette audio is barely perceptible and we were the very last 2 cars, at least 5 seconds in back."

The FFB related issue mentioned by Mich Angel is also very interesting and I can already check it.

My quick guess is that some surround headphones drivers are messing up with the R3E surround system and create all kind of sound glitches, which is kind of logical when you think about the way the surround effects are managed with headphones (fake 5.1 and 7.1). I wouldn't expect those "tweaks" to work with any title in any situation.

I never encountered any problem with my Siberia virtual surround headphones but the reports mention some various hardware systems, a majority of surround headphones though.
    I can see a track for future investigations at least.

I'll try to get access to the concerned hardwares but I can't promise anything at this point.
    I'll keep you updated about it guys ;)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony Monteil
    I did a fresh install of windows 7. Then upgraded to windows 10. Audio in everything was perfect in stereo mode.
    In music, movies, streaming audio, ALL games.

I installed the Logitech Gaming Software, switched to 7.1 surround sound. The moment I tried to use the equalizer provided in the Logitech software AUDIO DISTORTION CAME BACK o_O -- for music and Raceroom audio. I reset the equalizer to default settings and then turned it off. Now, audio distortion only occurs in Raceroom.:confused:

This distortion problem causes the Track Ambiance background audio to stutter while in the Car Setup UI. I'm playing music at the same time and the music sounds fine. It could be the internet music source is playing in stereo mode, whereas Raceroom is in 7.1 surround.

At this time, I'm leaning towards a Logitech software issue (equalizer) causing the sound distortion. I don't know what triggers it. the UI audio stutter is intermittent. But the on track audio is distorted all of the time.:(

Just fyi....... in the event other people are having similar issues. Probably nothing S3 can do until Logitech revises their software.

If it were a hardware issue, I believe it should happen more often and in various types of media.

****EDIT****
    I see Logitech has updated LGS software. But according to the description, it only addresses issues with their latest wireless headset. fyi

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  9. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for these valuable informations Azfalt.

This is not necessarly a specific Logitech drivers issue but it provides an interesting track for investigation ;)