Surround sound question....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Sercombe, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Chris Sercombe

Chris Sercombe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First thing, love RaceRoom, have most racing sims but like this the best, so my question, the sounds in this sim are the best out there, period, but when i play using my 5.1 av setup, cars coming up from behind, then either overtaking left or right, i dont hear this from my rear speakers, and i have enabled 5.1 in sound settings, and anyway, i hear other effects like the gravel under the car etc, in Dirt Rally you can clearly hear cars coming up from behind and then passing either left or right, i do hear a very faint car sound in rear speaker, but not like it should be, is this a known problem, or just how its meant to be, cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It's the same if you're outside of the car and you turn the camera around, you have on every position the same sound :/

3. Chris Sercombe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What i done was out of car view and near a corner, to make ai break, and i do then infact hear the cars break into the corner from my left or right, i guess its meant to be suttle when there passing you in a race at speeds.

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    That are two different things IMO as one thing is a source that creates a sound and the other is the direction of your "head" that has or should have an effect on the Volumes. But I guess @Anthony Monteil can explain it better

5. Chris Sercombe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, i guess im just worrying to much.

6. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    R3E surround system is fully directional so you should hear the sound coming from its actual position related to your head location and orientation,.
    Therefore, a car running in your back should play in the rear speakers and so on.
    At least, this is how it's meant to be and how it works in 5.1 here.
    The reasons why the effect is not correct on your system can be multiple but I guess you already checked all the parameters (game sound setting, sound system and sound card options). If not, I would advice to check and test that your audio system is actually set on 5.1.

This is a bit worrying though: "i hear other effects like the gravel under the car etc"
    Do you mean that you hear the surface sounds but not the car engine ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Sercombe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thx for reply, yeh i think it was just me, i do now get rear car sounds etc, i put up the volume slider for other cars and thats made it better, i got my car engine sound and other effects like gravel etc, its all sorted now, any way, all good now, thx

8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    One dares to lay doubt at the feet of our Anthony Monteil, burn him I say, where's me bloody pitchfork! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The Foo

The Foo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does RR support Dolby or DTS? Is it PCM on a Av receiver? Does the subwoofer get properly used in 5.1 at 80hz?

10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Lol!

11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    If you have your soundcard hooked up to a reciever i would set it on auto and see what codec comes up. I gotta believe if it's 5.1 the bass will be routed properly to the .1 channel. Im using my sound card's discrete outputs so im not sure, seems to handle bass properly in that setup though.

Or short answer - i dont know, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I know i know old thread, But i just finished building my first actual rig and setup a 5.1 surround system around.
    Of course i did all the test and in windows its detected and tested and each channel is working as it should.

But Raceroom even if i select 5.1 the car noise from the car behind is not coming out of the rear speakers.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

13. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Before you get too deep in trouble shooting I would crank the opponent car sound to max and see if you get anything.

14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Hey Ducman
    yea thats one of the first thing i did. lower my own sound and oponent cranked up.
    i even made adjustement in windows to make both rears about 50% louder than the rest.

did some audio test with movies and whatnot and yea its configured correctly and working fine. Just not raceroom sadly

15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You can test if your 5.1 setup is working in RaceRoom by using the free camera in replay mode. If you move the camera in front of your own car, the sounds should definitely be coming out of the rear speakers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0

It looks like something is not working properly. You should definitely hear the opponent cars coming from behind in your rear speakers.
    As majuh suggested, the first thing is to test if the directional surround system works using the free camera. Then, just turning your head around with the mouse and listening to the game will be enough to tell if it's functional or not.

From there, we'll know where we need to look ;)

17. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Salut Anthony,
    Thanks for replying.
    So i did more testing like you proposed with the free cam, I am not getting anything from the rear speakers at all.
    I moved the camera ahead of my car and all the Rev sound is coming from the front speakers.
    of course i do the "windows test" and they are definitely working in windows. Working for movies as well.
    i select 5.1 in RaceRoom still to no avail.

ialso this is one of the way i tested the audio. it comes out loud and clear on the rears speaker
    https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  18. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Do you use onboard audio or a sound card? Can you post a screenshot of your configuration in the audio driver?

19. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    upload_2021-11-28_18-14-29.png

upload_2021-11-28_18-15-22.png
    upload_2021-11-28_18-15-43.png

upload_2021-11-28_18-16-0.png

Doing the test under configure is functional
    upload_2021-11-28_18-16-35.png

Drivers tabs

upload_2021-11-28_18-17-23.png
    upload_2021-11-28_18-17-50.png

upload_2021-11-28_18-18-20.png

upload_2021-11-28_18-18-44.png

20. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Ok, and what about the Realtek driver configuration itself? The driver should provide an additional tool, either "Realtek HD Audio Manager" or "Realtek Audio Console". You should make sure that surround sound is also properly configured there.