The End Is Nearish...Win 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gopher04, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Microsoft Ends Windows 7 Support in 2020, companies can buy security updates up-to 2023 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you're still on Windows 7, Microsoft will be ending support for it in 2020. Organizations, however, can purchase an extended contract for support.

Through the way of extra dough, all of the sudden support will continue to provide paid support for Windows 7 until January 2023, including security updates. This scheme is called Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) and will be per device, also that contract price will increase each year. The Extended Security Updates will be available for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers with Volume Licensing. Also, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with an active Windows 7 ESU subscription till 2023. Customers that are in the ESU program will be able to continue to use the Office suite this way.

Though Windows 10 is closing in, Windows 7 actually still has a market share of nearly 40%.

2. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The automatic updates on Win 10 seem to cause more problems than they help. I'll stick with Win 7 until it won't run any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy i choose to update to W10 when it was free, so far no problems with W10.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Depends, there have been alot of problems with the update system since release, also you can get a licence for Win 10 licence for as little as £10, just have to look in the right places, I personally wont move to 10 for awhile yet, atleast till I do a major hardware upgrade..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I've been using Win10 since day 1 and never had a single issue with it. The automatic update system has almost zero effect on the PC's performance, unless you are doing something exceptionally resource-heavy, like rendering or gaming. And even then, there is a trivial solution: check for updates manually around 30 minutes before you'll need the maximum performance of your PC. Normally, it takes less than 5 minutes to install the updates and restart the PC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-to-sell-post-2020-support-for-windows-7.html

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/no-microsoft-has-not-confirmed-a-new-monthly-charge-for-win7/

The best you can do is to see Windows exclusively as a game console operation system. You use it for launching your games, nothing else, that means. For evertyhing else, you have a second platform or dual boot system with another OS, and that is where you do your work, do emails, surfing and browsing, shopping, storing images and so forth. EVERYTHING except gaming you do NOT under Windows.

I prefer Linux Mint, but even Chrome is better than Windows, since it may not know privacy, but its security- and functionality-relevant bugs get dealt with faster and technically more competent, than it is the case with the Microsoft equivalent. Its a mixture of wanted policy change, customer abuse, and technically incompetence home-made by selling out too many brains and experienced guys from their Windows laboratory. That they try to save money on their betatesters as well , which are externalised btw, does not make it better.

The atrocious quality of Windows patches these days is a logical consequence of all this.

The ordinary private user and household does not need microsoft at all, and can safely and comfortably use >>free!<< alternatives like Linux Mint. Even many working places can run without Microsoft. If only the decision makers would want that. But Microsoft spends hundreds of millions into lobby work per year. That has consequences, too. The tax payer has to foot the bill of this corruption.

Those avoiding W10 due to concerns about privacy and telemetry, are out of date anyway. The criticial such stuff from W10 has been reverse-injected into W7 already over one and a half year ago, or over 2 years, I have lost track of the decline of W7. They just have not told you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I bit the bullet and switch to win10 about 3 months ago and love it
    tho I did have a major issue with an update that got me into a never ending boot loop so I had to reinstall it

8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If the CIA wish to watch me, watching sim racing streams, sim racing like James Hunt or pay my water bill, then so be it, rather that than have them tampering with the rest of the world. Long ago, I too feared the big brother approach of Microsoft and although I still ran PC's using Windows, they all ran though a Smoothwall (Linux) PC before entering the WWW.
    Back then I spent more time crawling through logs, running diagnostics and countless other dull, boring tasks but I was free from Microsofts grasp. Today I wake up, boot up my 3 PC's (all running Win 10) and get on with whatever I want to do.
    Have to say I prefer my computing today, with over 7 billion people for the yanks to keep their eyes on, fancy there's one or two above me on the list. So what, I've sold out for conveniences sake, sold out to whom exactly, Microsoft? US Government? Beelzebub?
    Absolutely nothing different has happened to me on either occasion, neither Mr Paranoid nor Mr Bloggs can tell the difference between running the highest security available and subscribing to Bitdefender.
    I fully understand the need for competition, which Linux provides and increasingly better year on year but I'm sorry, Windows bash away to your hearts content but I have 3 reliable PC's and a lot of computing to get done, so I am more than happy to back track on an update if necessary. For those who wish to trim down what Microsoft receives from your PC then there are countless sites dedicated to blocking this, Black Viper is one off the top of my head. I don't even bother with any of this anymore myself, as I reckon having my door kicked down by the CIA would brighten the day up nicely and what are they gonna do, no need to remove my PC's as they already know what's on them, so what? remove my Bong collection, Boo Hoo, cheap as chips on Amazon, bollox, guess you're now gonna tell me I'm an infidel for using bloody Amazon. :rolleyes:

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Three years ago I decided that I had enough of spending hours every week trying to keep my W7, whcih I used for everything then, "clean", and jumpd on the emergency brake. With Linus Mint, I got a super-fast installation with all graphics, office, browisng and emailing software aboard, and then some. Super fast, super comfortable installation. No additional software like browser, office suite, image editor needed, its all on board. Botting is a fraction of time, shutting down is a fraction of time of what Windows needs. No advertising, no bloatware. No endless stuff loade don booting that is never needed by anyone anyway. No telemetry. You install uit, you switch on AV which is on board as well, and you are done, and evertyhign runs faster, more stable, more reliable. For the ordinary home user, this beats windows by a lightyear.

With W10 now I see a degradation of my brandnew and expensive hardware I vozught in Novembere over this poeriod of time, due to the patches added. Then, many upgrades in that time for both 7 and 10 have bogged systems down, caused endless paisn and troubles for many, especially prfessional workers in offices and companies. There were months in the past 12 months when not a saingle one, not a single one Windows update for office and Windows was technically okay and not bugged.

Don't beleive it? Read some insider or tech blog frequently and follow the mess as it unfolds from one month to the next. It gets worse and worse and worse. Since three years.

Thats why I limit Windows to game-launching only. Its not worth the hassle, and it delivered already perceivable perfomrance losses to my expensively paid-for new rig: and this without me having touched upon the Spectre and Meltdown "patches".

Lets stop this glossing and sweet-talking about Windows. Its that mess because Microsoft sees that it gets away with it. Why correcting their customer-hostile practices then?

Windows is far beyond its climax times. In a few years I might not have interest in any gmaing anymore that needs a PC. Then I will be done with any software that has "Microsoft" stamped on it. Of the stuff I still play, only RR and ACC still depend on a PC, the rest already exists on consoles or even smartphones: The Hunter, Fallout 4, chess. A small but surprising number of games also is available for Steam OS/Linux.

There is a world beyond Microsoft.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Then live in your world, I in no way endorsed either Windows or Microsoft and neither did I diminish any Linux based OS's. I merely said that in my world, my 3 Win 10 PC's, purr quietly on station, my front door is intact and my ports are closed to the dark web. What you call bloatware, others (not moi) find informative and useful. Microsoft have never had a hope of creating a lightening quick, slick version, as they started with an OS that was unable to network (not safely), it was first produced as a stand alone OS, not until networking became essential did they start bolting workarounds on willy nilly to try to create the environment it was most definitely not designed for, who can forget the Win2000 travesty. So Windows has had a rocky road (reminds me of other software, not so far from home, I purchased) but I can only speak from personal experience and I look after several PC's around my town and just go on frequency of visits to the friends and family and hanger ons and uncle Tom Cobbly and all! All together now!
    My point is, once upon a time, most of my free time was spent trying to get PC's running and communicating to one thing or another but since I did the rounds and updated the bloody lot to Win10, I've not heard a peep from a single one of them.
    I must admit, history has taught me to download updates but hold off installing for a couple days and keep an eye on the Tech forums for any melt downs or the like and I request my, lets just call them what they are, freeloaders, to do the same.
    So in your world Microsoft may indeed don a black cloak and eat children for lunch but in mine it does what it says on the tin and computes. The fact I'm lying naked on a wooden desk, with everything that can be crossed, crossed, kinda reveals the faith I have in them, as well as revealing ones self. :oops: Having said all that I am in the process of accumulating parts for PC 4, as I type and it may well run a non Microsoft OS, so could well be dipping a toe back into your world in the near future. :eek:
    I'm fully aware my laziness is a poor gauge to condone or condemn software but it's all I have! :p

11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I had Win7 installed on my sim racing PC for a very short while, before I installed Win10Pro (Mac user for decades) and at work there were rarely issues with Win7 (if there were, we had the IT guys to fix them).
    Coming from PS3/PS4 (not hindered by any PC knowledge) I switched to PC only for sim racing and having access to triple screen setup.
    When Win10 works, there is not much to complain ( if anything), but in these two and a half years (give or take a few months) I (the shop) had to reinstall three times from scratch after a failing Win Update. I have little knowledge, but the system should update automatically. Even the shop was not able to get it running again. Had to disconnect everything and bring the PC in each time.
    Each time the system got in a start-up loop, with no possibility to get out. A few times I was very close to throw it out of the window (without S)...very close... and move back to PS...
    Each and every time I get a Win update message, fear strikes...

During all the years I used Mac OS, I updated several times, small updates, complete new OS etc... Never a hint of any issues, always worked flawless, never needed any outside help. Mac is still as fast as when I bought it.
    WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT ACHIEVE THAT ?

12. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Real men write an exclusive operating system for themselves. You don't have to trust anybody and it will 100% suit your needs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Each to his liking. My experience is dentrimentla to yours. W10 gives me more tech problekms mand blue screens than W7 anbd WXP in all those many years together, and I run W10 on latets hardware since just 9 months now. W7 until summer 2015, when I locked it down, was piece of cake, and the most stable Windows I ever had.

Delay updates to the max time possible, use a windows update blocker, and define internet connection as metered - thats the way to go with W10, nothing of that is guaranteed to delay unwanted version upgrades, Microsoft sometimes ignores these settings or resets them so that it can install them, but for many people it seems to work so far. Any stuff that I would mind to write on an open tourist postcard, I do not store on that machine as well, nor do I type any sensible data, letters, information, code, PIBs with it. The only exception is the Steam access account.

People are too unaware of the dangers that lie in their data beign in the wild - and still so in many many years to come. What today is considered harmelss, tomorrow can be used against you, if laws and standards change. Most people are naive in imagining the many malicious possibilities. So far every technology man ever invented also was used against man and for the benefit of those in power. This one is no exception, And the web, as they say, never forgets. I add: it also never forgives. Whatever you type, no matter how profane, gets automatically recorded by somebody somewhere, for later use.

Caution today may keep future harm away. And that is no paranoia at all. That is simply realism undistorted by laziness and comfortability.

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Jeez are you a nuclear physicist or something? Something can only come back to bite you if you're up to no good. I'm all for transparency, let everyone know what everyone earns and for doing what. If all information was available to all, then information would be worthless.
    I run an up to date i7, 16gB 3200 ram, 1080 gpu for gaming, an i5, 16Gb 1600 ram, 660GT gpu for general PC duties and an old i7 920, 8GB 1600 ram, 780GTX gpu as a media server. I also use a cheap tablet, also Win10 as a remote control. Now all of these run all day every day, without fail or failure, yet you run just one that gives you nothing but trouble, one of us is doing something wrong!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    The biggest problem with Linux is that what you see is all you get. If you're in need of specific software that actually works, it's most likely only compiled for Windows.

If all you need is OpenOffice, Firefox and Gimp, you're all good with Linux.

If you need more, then you're pretty much out of luck.

16. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    In order to operate better VR and ASW (Asynchronous Space Warp), Win10 update could not be avoided.
    I'm purchased Win10pro to reduce the risk of trouble as much as possible.
    It is possible to deliberately delay automatic updating,there is no problem at present.

17. Alex Wurst

Alex Wurst RaceRoom

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    For Gaming (especially newer tech), windows 10 is, at least for me, the far better option.
    We tested many things, and found out that VR seems to use up to 30% less cpu on windows 10 than on windows 7. Just because something is "still supported", doesn't mean it's as optimized as the OS it was originally meant for.
    Same with other hardware, we've had many issues with fanatec wheels prior to switching to windows 10 on all our event simulators, ranging from FFB loss or even game crashes. Fanatecs answer was that they simply do not do as much QA testing on older hardware and software.