#TheDriversHelmet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Schweetz, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Schweetz

Schweetz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Hello you all,

I'm a bit dissapointed in the current state of motorsports.. it's all commerce and everything haves a price on it..
    When I started following motorsports and F1 as main subject, I was very interested in the designs of all those helmets from various drivers.

For me for example the designs from Fissichella, Barrichello, Jos Verstappen and Jean Alesi were just a few of my favourites. And it was just a 56bits world on our computers at home (mid 90's), So I made my own 32x32 picto's from the drivers helmets for my folders and programms. I think I had at least 30 different helmets on my Windows 95 home screen :D

But that isn't my case here. I hate the kind of 'team' helmets now adays and besides I like the fact 'our' boy wonder from Holland Max Verstappen is really making progress, I don't like what RedBull is doing to their drives when you talk about their new helmet designs.. They are completely overruled by RedBull.. Two prancing bulls with a yellow beachball. And a very small spot/chance to make something personal of the helmet, I think it's less than 40% of the surface where they could give the protection-ball a personal touch.

And you can say.. big deal.. ?!
    But isn't it every driver's nature to make their own design as early as they can.. when they're successful on the karting track, they want a personal touch to their outfit. And when you're making progress to the Formula Fords or 3's, the only spot you could see, it's the drivers helmet. You want to be recognized. You want to say "Look, that's me !". And I guess many drivers have their own design based on their favourite driver in their youth. Sure, you're able to redesign your helmet, but the main reson to design your helmet, is for self expression. Putting the national flag into it..

There are so many reasons I would very likely to say to #F1 to prohibit the 'team' helmets, especially now ForceIndia drivers are also 'managed' to wear their helmets based on the team colors.. and you know what that means for Checo and Ocon.. They are gonna wear pink from top to bottom.

We can do this..
    Small and important question.. If you're agree with me with all the above; Please share your toughts on social media with #TheDriversHelmet + #F1 and other important persons active in motorsports. Like Coulthard, Will Buxton or just @Fia . We can at least try to make this trending and maybe we could achieve something with this. Are you lazy and you don't want to make your own message in social media world? You can also search me on Twitter with @Dutchmeikuh + #TheDriversHelmet and retweet anything you could find ! :D

Side note.. and not the subject of this thread, just an small example who inspired me the last two decades to be involved in motorsports. This is just an example of what I would like to have when I was a proffesional racing driver. :cool:

[​IMG]
    This design I made last year, is based on Jos Verstappen's design + a little flavour of Tom Coronels lid. Also putted Pouhon, my most favourite corner, in the design as red/white outline.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    One day, I hope we will have the opportunity for the individual designing of our helmets and suits as you can do it in iRacing.

3. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    My Helmet which i also did for iRacing :)

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      328.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      232.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      298.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      271.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      330.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.PNG
      6.PNG
      File size:
      301.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.PNG
      7.PNG
      File size:
      324.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.PNG
      8.PNG
      File size:
      323.2 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Schweetz

Schweetz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Guys, this Is not the topic to post your own helmet design or making your helmet design in iRacing. I want to know if there are more motorsports fans like me who dislikes the new trend of making the helmet a piece of the team's outfit instead having your own spot to invidualize your character in real motorsports.

Like you are suggesting you want to have your own design in any kind of simulation game, like iRacing or RaceRoom. Or an arcade racer like Forza and Gt6..Hmmm, I think I see a kind of agreement ;) Somewhere on a Dutch forum I also had the idea to think about the regulations the Fia should come with, along a prohibition on 'team' helmets, sponsors are ofcourse allowed to support their driver and team, but there should be at least 70% of space (square cm's or inches) for the design the driver haves in mind. Should it be a new design or a piece of art he's racing with since he did his first miles on go-karting? Like the helmets from Force Inia now, the two drivers got each a pink helmet with a very loose variation on their own design, harly recognizable when they are racing I guess.

[​IMG]
    Estaban Ocon's helmet with a hard Barbie-make-over. Can't find a picture yet of Perez's helmet.

That's why I would like to fire the hashtag #TheDriversHelmet up a bit, for everyone who's active on social media + who agree's with my opnion, I really want to see how the 'important' people in motorsports would react when our hashtag grows bigger in maybe a tranding topic ?! Please share your thoughts, not your helmet designs.. :p:D

:smirk:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017