Thinking of selling my G27

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 3, 2016.

1. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I live in the UK and I'm thinking of selling my mint G27 for a Thrustmaster T500.

I can't afford to spend more on better gear than this due to the grind of bills / family / food / bills / family / bills.

Did I mention I pay the odd bill?

Anyone think this would be a daft upgrade or anyone think what a reasonable price would be? I'm not an ebayer so would be selling privately / on gumtree.

Thanks

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if the T500 is that much better than the T300 to justify the higher price. Ever considered the T300?

Be aware that the T500 has static shift-paddles that you have to remove if you want to use a rim with own shift-paddles.

Maybe you should wait for the upcoming Thrustmaster Direct Drive Wheel. I can imagine that many will sell their T500 for it and the prices will drop..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. hotak

hotak New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I got a T300 to replace my G25 last year, when i first got the T300 it was a big delusion for me because i was expecting a big upgrade regarding the wheel torque, while in fact it isn't that massive.
    That was untill 6 months later, when i got to try again my old G25 from tge friend i sold it to. The difference is really big regarding precision and detail in FFB, it's just something that you won't feel immediatly when upgrading, but you can really tell it when going back to the older gear.
    T500 i think is not the best choice: It has about 50% more torque than T300, but from what i hear it has about the same "precision" of the G25/7 so i'm not sure is worth the upgrade, i'd say better to wait the new DD wheel

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    torque is not even so super important on belt driven wheels, not to mention the fact that even the T300 can potentially brake your wrists when cranked up to 100%. So in my opinion you don't need a higher torque.
    Direct Drive wheels have very high torque but that's not why people choose them. They choose them for their precise FFB without loss of torque over the time.
    When a T300 or T500 warms up too much it can lose torque. So it's not (not only) a matter of higher torque but of more precise FFB in your wheel.

5. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    So here's my 'rig' such as it is at the moment :

i5 4960 @ 4.5k
    GTX 970
    16Gig Ram
    SSD
    Single 38" monitor

...runs iRacing at 400fps / RRE everything maxed at 1080p etc

But then :
    G27 & pedals
    Wobbly table
    Office chair with wheels (!) Yes I know (!)

If you were upgrading what order would you upgrade in first? Chair and desk? Then screen etc?

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I upgraded from g27 to t500 in the last 6 months, glad I did. The difference is huge. I also got the ferrari f1 wheel and love it. The t500 is more robust and not as prone to breakage as the t300, read many horror stories about them. Don't go the g29 route either, it is a dud.
    Pedals on t500 are excellent too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'd mirror those who suggest you go the T300 route. For T500 money you can easily get the Ferrari Alcantara edition which'll give you a decent set of pedals to go with your new wheel as well as kickass rim.

You mentioned being on a budget so no point in waiting for Thrustmasters new direct drive wheel as that'll no doubt run you more then the t300.

Never had the FFB fade on the t300 myself. But that might be because I run it with the fan always on.

8. hotak

hotak New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You're not the first one telling me T300 has more than enough torque, but I don't really agree about that: Even with heavily clipping FFB i don't have any problem rotating the wheel and i'dvlike a stronger force on it. I'm not even a very strong guy, i weight about 50kg and don't do any sport, but still i find it difficoult to believe T300 has enough torque to hurt my wrists

9. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Don't deathgrip your wheel bro? To each their own, I remember reading... I wanna say Gamermuscle returning his T500 for his old G25 because it was not very responsive in the FFB. Something I find the T300 does amazingly well for it's pricepoint.

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    for some reason I only had these high powers in project cars. I had FFb Strength on 80% and Tire force on 100 and I was shocked.. turned it to 100% FFB and it was very very heavy in corners (and it was even possible to push tire force to 200, what I did not do). So i ended up with 100% FFB (to not lose details) and Tire force at 60.
    in R3E the torque is not so high, not even on everything 100%.. somehow.. in the thrustmaster profiler it's on 75%, in the game the main force is at 100%. This feels very good for me, so there is no point in having higher torque for me when it feels good not even at full force.

I think I could get it stronger with the FFB Multiplier in car setup if needed.

So either OP gets t300 or t500 it will be a big improvement. And when he's on a budget the T300 would be fine.. (maybe standalone T300 base with a rim you like and the pedals you like).. and as I said.. when the Direct Drive Wheel from Thrustmaster will be released (I have no clue when this will be) the prices of used T300 and T500 will drop more.
    With the extra money I would get a decent chair.
    I race a wheelstand pro in front of my TV. And my chair is from IKEA ;) http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/S39125669/ .. so it's basically a budget rig

@Rodent I think you thought I said he should wait for the direct drive wheel but I meant he should wait so that prices for the other wheels drop, not that he should buy the direct drive wheel.

11. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Nope, not true. You can remove the static paddles if you're more comfortable with that, but you don't have to. I have a GT28 rim on my T500 and it works just fine with the static paddles still attached, plenty of room between the static paddles and the GT28's paddles to shift comfortably, both sets of paddles trigger the same buttons though. With the Ferrari F1 rim however, the static paddles trigger different buttons than the F1's, so you can use the latter for shifting and assign other functions (look left-right for instance) to the static paddles, which is pretty cool.

Back on topic: if you can afford a T300/T500 or any other wheel without having to sell the G27, I'd hang on to it as a spare if I were you. The G27 might be the last decent wheel Logitech ever produced.

12. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Office chair with wheels you say? At least consider replacing the casters with something like this, helps to stop the chair sliding around, as long as someone is sitting on it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZ2LZ58/

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW another wheel option to consider is the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition Package, which comes with the T3PA Pedals and Leather 28 GT rim, this is what I'm considering buying for my first wheel...

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tx-racing-wheel-leather-edition

[​IMG]

I prefer the look of this to the Ferrari Alcantara wheel myself - yes it's smaller, but I have small hands and the paddles on the larger Ferrari Alcantara wheel are harder to reach, as they're in the same position as the smaller wheel.

14. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    That's a nice looking wheel!

Bit out of my price range at the moment....step daughter is going on holiday tomorrow....and just lost her spending money....so that's a loan of £300 I've just made :(

15. Shenmue_X

Shenmue_X Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0