Thoughts about internal/external sounds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    First of all i just want to say that R3E is the best sounding sim, no buts or questions about that.
    Yet, I have some thoughts regarding internal and external sounds.

As a sound nerd :D i have changed the sound of the second cockpit camera to external sound on some cars. While fiddling with this i have come to the conclusion that you can`t hear the sound from the exhaust pipe(s) while driving whit cockpit camera (depending on car).

Most noticable is it on DTM2016 i think, should`nt there be at least some of the exhaust sound be heard from the cockpit? I guess this cars are stripped from all kind of sound isolating stuff as rear seats, carpets, etc.

What do you think? o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    in real life i guess you hear next to nothing of the exhaust, ear plugs and a helmet , engine note killed by the straight cut gearbox , just the vibration and a growling sound but nothing over defined , you hear more through your ass than your ears in real life imho

Andi

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Yeah..but i don`t drive with ear plugs and helmet :) The sounds used are probably not recorded from the inside of a helmet.
    We can adjust the level of the sound comming from backfires. We could have a slider for exhaust sound to :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting topic this :D

From my own experience and some informations I collected, the amount of exhaust sound you hear in the cockpit depends a lot on the car model.
    The exhaust position is an important factor of course, but the materials, components and engine's configuration/type are also crucial.

R3E is using a lot of distant/trackside recordings/samples for the external sounds, which are very different from what you can hear when you're sitting in the car, quite close from the main sound sources (engine and exhaust).
    These external samples are often including some doppler and reverb effects.

Therefore, mixing our external sounds with the cockpit sounds might not be the best way to enhance the immersion/realism.

Instead, we would probably need a third sound layer that we could call "cockpit exhaust" for exemple, playing some specific samples recorded into the car near the exhaust exit, which is sadly not possible in R3E at the moment.

This feature has been often requested, even before the release of R3E in the SimBin's era, and it's been been looked into.
    For now, I can only say that it will be possible to achieve it in the future, but probably not in R3E, due to some technical limitations.

R3E is always using some real recordings from the cockpit for the internal sounds, but some things can't be recorded with a microphone for sure.
    As Andi said, a lot of stuff can only be "felt" through your body while you're sitting in the car for real, much more than through your helmet, for which butt-kickers and subwoofers can help.
    But I'm convinced that some details need a specific audio channel.

I hope you won't be too disappointed though, and that you'll probably enjoy it in a next title. ;)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Anthony for your detailed reply, much appreciated!

I do feel everything that's going on in the car with simvibe and 9 buttkickers so that's not what i miss, it's the low frequency sounds coming thru the exhaust pipe(s).

No, I'm not so disappointed. Nice to hear that the development in the audio front has not reached the end. I look forward to future titles.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the best sounding title, R3E :)

Thanks!