thrustmaster t300rs wheel loose

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickyjj2011, Feb 20, 2017.

1. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hi
    just got new thrustmaster t300rs noticed after couple of hours of racing the wheel comes loose
    does anybody have any ideas, love this wheel but having to tighten a crappy screw to secure it, well seems cheap.. maybe this is just the way it is with thrustmaster..
    thanku

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    which screw , maybe put some thread lock on the screw ?

Andi

3. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hi
    its the tension screw which thrustmaster call it.. i have tightened as much as i could without over tightening..

4. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    You also have to tighten the locking ring as much as possible, before tightening the set screw.

5. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    This is the main big nut thing that screws onto the back on the rim, and do it as tight as you can by hand, then do the little locking screw up, if you don't do the big nut up the only thing that will happen at some point is you will cause the shaft bolts to snap..

6. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    ok maybe being new i being to kind to it, i will use more strength to secure the wheel and try again. thanks everyone

7. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    it would be cool if someone came up with a better release for this wheel. I too have one. I have fitted a 14-inch wheel to a hub, but it is a pain to swap the wheels.

8. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I believe you can mod it and use a proper quick release..

9. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I saw the wheel adapters on DSD site. but i haven't seen anything like that. I will have to look again.

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    strange, using my T300 for almost 2 years now without any issues with the secure screw etc... so you tightened the big nut that holds the wheel? and then you also tightened the screw that secures the big nut? Never had any issues with that so I'm just wondering if you did forget the little screw or not.

11. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    will be using my wheel tonight so will use a bit more strength in tightening the wheel nut and use the screw again.. its not the most expensive wheel in the world but £320 and u have a crappy screw at the bottom to tighten is a bit cheap,, i expect platinum at least :)

12. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    When I had my wheel new it was loose, but it were actually the screws in the front that keep the wheel together that were loose. I had to tighten them and it was fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Had this happen only a couple weeks ago, small ring of allen heads on wheel itself, whacked a bit of locktite on the threads and Bob's your uncle!
    With regards to the small fixing screw I replaced this with a larger self tapper (noticed Thrustmaster also do this on their new wheel) have not had a problem since, please be aware that wires run down this column so too long and you've knackered your wheel!! :eek:
    the larger pertains to girth rather than length! ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i just tightened the wheel more and the screw a wee bit more and all this fine after 12 hours of racing all good :)
    although did have a problem with the spring on the brake make a clicking noise turns out to be a problem with them sometimes so disassembled and reset spring it was out of position for some reason.

15. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lol, I had also the exact same thing with the spring of the brake, very annoying. The spring did not go entirely up to the "notch" (not sure what to call it) of the pedal. Only when pressing the brake after a certain point the spring moves in the correct position, which you can hear and feel as a mild click. I simply jammed (gently) a couple of screwdrivers in the spring and let it stay there, did this some days (obviously not when using it...) This made the spring firmer and the top of the spring is now completely on the "notch" when it is depressed.

Funny how you have to do some adjustments yourself before the thing is really ok... But now it's working like a charm.

16. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hi so did you compress the spring? with the screwdrivers.. and do you use the mod for the brake that came with the pedal set?

17. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    There's the same cheap screw system on the TS-PC Racer, I love the wheel but this screw is not serious... on a 550 € wheel... (but got it with 20% discount), a screw in plastic that you should NOT tighten too strongly, like indicated in the user manual (they know the system is crappy...).

18. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps my post was not clearly formulated.

I put the screwdrivers in the spring when not using it. This caused the spring to get stretched slightly, making it firmer. Obviously I removed the screwdrivers when I started playing. I did this for some days. Best would be if you go away for a couple of days, just put them in and let the spring slowly get stretched out a bit. You can ofcourse use something else, but they fitted nicely for me.

Be careful when inserting the screwdrivers of course, but the spring is quite strong so I do not think you can damage it by doing this. At least it helped for me, takes time though...

Just check if by placing a screwdriver in the spring that the spring pops into place on the pedal "notch" You should be able to see.

Hope this makes it a bit more clear...

19. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    omg i thought they would of done away with that..even for an expensive wheel like that...

20. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I already had to tighten the screw a second time recently, cause after less than a week of (intensive) use, the screw was gone and the "quick release" was releasing the wheel while playing. I don't understand how they didn't put a steel piece to receive the screw... Probably one day I'll have to mod it.

Except for this detail, I love the wheel, but it's my first one so I can't compare with something else than an old PS3 gamepad, and that's a huge improvement! :D

Edit: in fact, what Thrustmaster calls a "Quick Release" is something that slowly release while you use it, so one day your wheel stays in your hands while getting a hard turn and you can say "wow, what a Quick Release!". ;)