Question Time Multiplier?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Explain the "Time Multiplier" in AI. What would you use it for? Why would you use it, etc.?
    When would you use it?

"Nash"

2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The time multiplier doesnt have anything to do with the ai. It just sets the rate at which the time of day in a session progresses. If its set to 0 time will not progress, so if you select noon as time of day (and well just assume that means 12pm for now) that means that throughout the whole session itll be 12pm in game. If you set the time multiplier to 1 then every minute that passes in real life the time of day in game will also progress by one minute. Set it to 60 and for every minute in real life the time of day in game will progress by an hour. Note that once you reach sunset time in game will no longer progress regardless of the time multiplier since r3e doesnt do night driving.
    As to when to use it id say whenever you want to. I guess itd make most sense if you wanna simulate an endurance race but only invest say one hour of real life time. Then you could start at sunrise, set the time multiplier to 12 or maybe a bit higher and then drive for one hour with the in game time going all the way from early morning to evening. One important thing to know tho is that it can cost quite a lot of fps on some pcs if its turned on (so anything but 0), hence personally i never use it

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's just a visual option. Just like Time of day, it has no affect on how the game works, it only affects the sun position (and the corresponding shadows and lighting). Time of day is where the sun is positioned at the beginning of your racing session, while Time multiplier is how fast it moves. 1x is equal to real time, 2x is twice as fast, etc.

I know there are severe drops in FPS on Nordschleife and Zhuhai (upto 60% drop on my PC), but does it also depend on your PC just as much? I only remember seeing complaints about these two tracks, not the feature itself. It does cost you some FPS, but I suppose it shouldn't be that much when it's working properly (i.e. on all the other tracks). How big is the FPS drop on your PC? It's about 10-15% on mine.

4. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Ah, you read my mind - I was wondering what would happen if you let it run.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Its been a while since i last checked but i think it was regularly around 20-30 fps for me (on all tracks or at least on all that i checked and those were quite a few) which is way more than i can afford on my old laptop :D

6. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    On my computer, the rate would be real bad so don't think I would or could use it.

Thanks guys
    "Nash"

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if it's GPU- or CPU-dependant...

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    You can still try it to see how big the impact actually is for you, its just something to be aware of

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    CPU

• Informative Informative x 1