Tripple screen thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul heijmans, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Brussells

Brussells Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    What's the deal on triples these days? Is it better supported as yet?
    Also, what angle/position do most people set their side monitors to? Pictures I've seen appear to show a very shallow angle - Is this due to proper triple support not being implemented yet?

2. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'd be exactly the same given the opportunity, it's not restraint that keeps me from going nuts, it's a swift backhand from said missus lol.

Thanks for the good luck wishes though, it's needed :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    For angle, i used to have my monitors at a sharper angle, closer to 45 degrees. Then i got a triple monitor all in one mount, which i believe i was sent the wrong one vs what i ordered. It has a mostly fixed angle for the side monitors, which is maybe 10 degrees at most - pretty flat really. I tried it out and wit the views I prefer where the screen acts as the windshield it actually worked well at this angle, so i kept the mount. It also offers way more desk space for my shared family PC that sits in the dining room, so have to please the wife as well!

TL:DR - i was pleasantly surprised running triples at an angle closer to flat - works great for my FOV settings.

4. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I actually tested just today the Monza and it is the worst when it comes to FPS hit after the patch. Shadows set to low, no car shadows (except contact) and no split and I get short drops to 50-55 FPS here and there. FPS stays over 60 with only contact shadows turned on.

I wonder if we have here someone who knows shader code? I looked shader files through and didn't find anything, but then again I really don't know jack about shaders. Tried to change map size, though, to no avail. But if we have somenone with proper knowledge, maybe he could spot something and tweak the files as a temporary fix. Damn, I wish I'd have the older shader files backupped, so we would see the differences with the earlier shader code. Based on the timestamp, shader code was changed with the latest patch, that is for sure. Of course the performance hit it isn't necessarily in shader code, but instead something in the renderer and there is no possibility to tweak that, except developers with their source code.

5. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  6. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    @Kurt Vanhee

Video settings:

All max without :

Shadows off
    Motion blur off
    Seen Cars 12
    Res: 5904x1080p (bezel)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    without shadows its not perfect but run very well. I hope i can help you.

8. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Having triple 27" @7680x1440. Already lowered the reso. Will see what i can make off it.
    vSync on or off?

9. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
  10. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Resolution @7680x1440, with vsync on a steady 60fps on Nurnburgring DTM 2014:)
    Not tested any other tracks. Screenshots with my settings.
    Multisampling was turned from 2xAA to off. Had a few minor drops with MSAA on 2XAA.
    Suggestions welcome, if this can be improved.

video settings 1.PNG
    video settings 2.PNG
    video settings 3.PNG

11. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Why u use this res? try a little bit smaller res

12. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Guys, without Shadows and good AA (minimum 4 x MS + 4 x SSAA) it just looks horrible.
    So you can drive in 2015? In Earnest? Respect, honest! ;)

13. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    yes and that im just turn off shadows

14. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If you could play with shadows on and still maintain a good FPS, prior to the update, then you should not have to resort to needing to turn them off, post update. Simple as that.

It really is up to Sector 3 to fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzRNmE7o9Cr-9Zad1NhwsLg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I decided to get a solution for this performance problem and ordered a custom GTX 980 TI graphics card. That should offer enough grunt for smooth 60FPS all the way.

R3E was not the only reason for the upgrade and I still think that S3S should investigate this perofrmance hit for June patch. There are mainly two reasons:

1. There should be no huge performance differences between tracks or huge fluctuations within a single track anyway. As constant FPS as possible all around is important as it is actual requirement for scaling the gaming experience for different setups people have. FPS fluctuations and performance differences between different tracks are just too big right now for some reason. This problem didn't exist for me and many others before the latest patch.

2. Performance hit is just too deep ATM and shadows are pretty much unusable for many of those running high res setups or have lower end HW. It is common thing that shadows and lighting settings have a big impact on performance, but I have rarely seen anything this steep: for the most problematic tracks, only lowest setting is somewhat usable for over 60FPS everywhere on the track, but effect looks just horrible. This is with i7-3930K@4,5GHz and GTX 780 3GB.

Shadows are by far the biggest perf hit right now with the reflections. Any other setting, including AA, have only mild or almost zero effect on the FPS for me. This is just to show where the shadows setting right now stands. Reflections have been a FPS hog a while and it isn't nearly as critical as shadows IMO, as shadows have a true effect on the gameplay: they have an impact to the visibility on certain conditions. Shadows weren't especially heavy setting before the latest patch, granted they were rendered incorrectly before. As it is, it is still very difficult to balance the settings with shadows right now, because other settings don't give that much performance back compared to shadows. Also, I don't find the option to set severeal other settings to lowest possible, just to get medium level shadows to perform adequately, very meaningful. As shadows look now okay, performance hit is to be expected, but it is just too deep ATM, especially on certain tracks.

Performance hit doesn't probably show itself with regular 1080p/60hz setup with decent hardware, but with Surround/Eyfinity this is definitely a problem. Also, high resolution monitors, like 1440p ultrawide and 4k are becoming more and more common. Those users are also going to struggle with the same thing unless they have the beefiest card on the market, because R3E doesn't have SLI/CF support either. I really hope that S3S will continue to put effort on the optimization, not only when developing the core software, but also for new payware content to be released: if some track for example nearly halves the FPS compared to some other track, it is definitely not okay and it will cause problems and frustration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, the variance in performance on a single track even goes up as the resolution climbs - it becomes painfully obvious going from 60 fps down to 5 fps at certain corners @ 1080x5760. As a racing game, where triple screens are common, it would be nice to get this sorted.

In the meantime, it would be nice to have graphics settings profile for each track, that is saved so whenever you run a certain track, graphic settings are changed automatically to however you set it for the track. This would allow us to run say maxed out at Nurburgring, and medium at Sonoma without tweaking settings all the time. Of course this would take time away from fixing the real issue, but if it could be done easily, it may make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kevin Rötting

Kevin Rötting Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    3x LG 23MP65HQ
    [​IMG]

Nvidia GTX980 4GB
    Intel i7-4790K
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65
    2x 4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    CMPSU-600CX, 600 Watt

In game settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

95 - 125FPS average in multiplayer. I can run on higher settings but I prefer some extra margin in my frames. I have the most important things on high. The less important things low or off. it runs very smoothly and it looks good enough :) No big difference with everything at maximum.

VSync always off! It killed your frames and you get imput lag that makes you slower.

18. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The grunt and ElNino: I agree with every word of your last posts. This update puts far too much onus on us having to continually tweak our settings from track to track, in order to try to achieve good fps. And from a visual perspective, sometimes the results are just not worth the effort, because the game can look pretty uninspiring after heavy tweaking.

GXF profiles for each track is an interesting idea. I'm sure this could work, but fear that after implementing it, Sector 3 might feel it was job done and not bother to address the real issue here.

Anyway, I too have order a 980ti. This is the model:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,36.html

This was always the plan (as I mentioned a few days ago in a post on this forum) as soon as I heard how good the card was. Will be installing it in a new PC as well. But Sector3 must remember that most people here, will not be using this brute force method, to deal with this issue.

19. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My own experience and claim have led me for years meaning that I only go with SLI.
    Triple screen with a reasonable Antialiasing and Max graphics settings is possible only
    with SLI, I am convinced.

I'm not ready to set graphics settings down, note with a next gen racer, then I could equally
    continue rFactor...sorry, not in 2015.

My Settings:
    - Triple Screen 5760 x 1080
    - All Graphics Settings maxed (Contact Shadow 12)
    - Antialiasing 8 x MS + 8 x SSAA (among them, no chance for me. To much line and shadow flickering without SSAA )
    - Ever 60 Frames with VSYNC on, verry smooth and looks brilliant
    - Graphic cards both max utilization 80-90%

Even with a 980 TITAN, I get not nearly, with these settings constant 60 frames.

"SLI, my best way has then begun sience 2007 with NV GTX 260 SLI" :)

20. Chris Wright

Chris Wright Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Looking at your spec, I'd say you can run everything in pretty spectacular detail at great frame rates. Although they could do more to support triple screen better, my feelings are that it works well enough until they get around to tweaking it. You do need a powerful rig, however.