Question Tuto for car's setup

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Philou, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Philou

Philou New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    i search a tuto to configure cars.
    i want to know how significate any possibility of change.
    (sorry for my English)
    one of you have an explication of what action i do when i move any cursor?
    Thanks

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
  3. Philou

Philou New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I go to read this thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert

Morning Chris,

Dont want to start a new thread, because my concern is setup-related, but I've noticed something weird within the last days. Dont know if this was already mentioned before.

While making adjustments to my setup for the GTR2-Ruf at the Slowakiaring I was at the phone, a lill bit distracted, so I accidentaly changed the rear camber below the value of the front camber, and was immediately faster by a couple of tenths over a couple of laps.
    I got aware of this after I went back to the garage to save this setup. So I changed the camber again to realistic values, meaning more negative camber at the front, drove a couple of laps and was always slower. Switched back to the odd setting, instantly faster again.

So I made the same odd changes to the Skyline and did some laps at Sonoma WTCC. Well, same result, I was immediately faster by a couple of tenths.

Would be nice if a coder could check if those values are maybe inverted within the game, because I've never managed to be faster with such a setup at other games, like PCars or AC. :)

5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Pfalzdriver,

are you using a telemetry tool/app that tracks tyre temps by any chance? Asking this cause temperature was the first thing that sprung to my head. In theory, higher (more negative) camber results in higher overall tyre temps, which is always more important than the temp spread across the thread. So maybe by increasing the negative camber you managed to get the tyres closer to their optimal operating temperature.
    Secondly, both cars you mentioned belong to classes that haven't been updated in a while, physicswise, so there might well be sth in there that doesn't work the way usually expected. But iIrc on older tyre versions it was harder to get them up to temperature, so this maybe supports my innitial thought. Have you tried cars that have been updated recently as well?

About the change in driving characteristics that's to be expected: This is always very subjective. In theory an extreme rear camber should result in increased instability but it could well be that that suits your driving style, meaning that you are more comfortable with a tail-happy car. Don't know if that's the case.
    When I read that you experienced this in a RUF I wasn't that surprised, cause one thing we always have to bear in mind in those is their rear-engined nature, meaning that a greater than usual portion of the weight sits in the rear of the car and hence the load and tyre deformation in the rear is greater in such cars. But as you mentioned that the same applied to the Touring Skyline that kinda destroyed that theory and made me wonder too.

Anyway, thanks for your observation. I'll make the devs aware of this and ask them to have a look.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chris,

It was the Skyline 2000RS, Group 5, which is tail happy by nature. ;)

Usually I tend to setup my cars a lill untersteering, close to neutral, so I dont get too many surprise from the back, and usually run the lowest rear camber possible fitting my driving style, to get more traction while accelerating. And I didnt get the impression there is less traction with the increased camber. It even felt more stable within corner with those "switched" settings.

I'll upload my setup for the Skyline later, if anymore like to check this setup with only changed camber.

Concerning tyre temperatures, Yes, I use an app to track them, but honestly I never took a closer look, because the pressure cant be changed (yet.) Usually I only use the app (Proracing Dasboard) to get the fuel consumption per lap and the time delta. But I'll check this for sure. :)
    And have a lot more tire wear. That's my personal main reason why I prefer running lower camber values at R3E. We do our races always with doubled tire wear and doubled fuel consumption. Doubled fuel consumption wouldnt be necessary, but we had some "realism problems" with e.g. driving one hour at Bathurst (Audi TT) without pitting. Tires were red after that hour, lap times were down completely, but over all pitting and changing tires was slower. Just noticed I switched the topic, so back to it. ;)

Honestly I have no clue which one were updated lately. I know there was a physics update for the GT3s, but those arent cars we've used in the past, only for a fun race besides the cup, but that was months ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Gosh, totally forgot that there's a Skyline in G5 as well. :D Those should be fairly recent but as you rightly mentioned, GTR3 and some others were the last to receive an update. So I'd tend to rule that reason out, at least for the Skyline. The GTR2 class is still in its innitial state and in urgent need for some physics magic. (@Karsten Borchers, cough cough ;) )

But your observation is not counter-intuitive, by raising the negative camber one should gain stability in corners, to a point of course. The downside rather being worse straight line stability and braking.
    You're right about tyre wear, that's the trade-off.

Regarding tyre temps: Might be worth checking out, just bear in mind that the temps in RR are core temps, not surface and hence the fluctuation is not as big as it is in other games where surface temps are being put out. So if you have an increase by 2 or 3 degree that's already a lot.

If I find the time I'll give it a look, but that might take a while so if anybody else would like to help investigate this, you're welcome. The devs have been notified and will have a look as well (though atm their attention is mainly focused on things that will be in the upcoming patch, so it might also take while).

Best regards

Christian

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0

Attached Files: