TV Camera views

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajokay, Jul 6, 2015.

1. ajokay

ajokay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I decided to take my newly purchased Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GTR2 around my newly purchased Zolder circuit. Both wonderful. I decided on a 60 minute race against the AI, as I've not ever done a proper good race against the AI before on R3E.

Watching the race replay back, I noticed that although there seem to be 2 or 3 'sets' of TV-style camera options, they all included very 'gamey' style cameras that swoop and pan and pivot and run alongside the cars at top speed, or situated in unrealistic locations like in the middle of a gravel trap or right on the apex of a corner.

I sometimes like to make videos of the races I run in a TV broadcast style (in fact I've made many with my racing club on Race 07), and the swoopy, panning 'racing video game' camera shots kinda ruin the immersion when trying to present the race as if it were real rather than in a game.

I guess what I'm getting at is, could one of the sets of TV cameras actually be from the TV camera vantage points that you'd see on TV at any given circuit?

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean. While there's a ton of stuff that needs doing on the sim, I do think a realistic TV replay camera should be somewhere on the list

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    This has been pointed out earlier. I think it is Anthony Monteil who is responsible for the cameras.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I too would love more TV style cameras. One of the things I liked about iRacing was the ability to edit cameras on the fly, create my own TV style cams or vantage points.

5. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    yes i would like some more replay camera options. i think that along with broadcasting capabilities would bring in a lot ppl.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Okay so this is incredibly nitpicky, but there's something about the replay camera logic that really bothers me.

When the camera is tracking a car in replays, it does so perfectly. No camera man could ever do it this accurately, and as a result it gives a very weird feel to replay cameras. The worst symptom of this is that because the camera so perfectly follows the car's vertical motion, when going over bumpy roads it looks like the car is just floating over the bumps while the wheels twitch around. In reality (and if you watch it with a fixed camera) the car is actually realistically bouncing around on the road and it looks great. However, through the perfect replay camera is looks off and strange.

Here's a video example of it:

Here's the cars bouncing around with a fixed camera. Looks great, but you don't get this effect with replay cameras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Well, as I'm doing the TV cams, I will answer the question.
    This makes years I mentioned this problem internally, it's truly unrealistic and I dream of the day we will solve it.

We sadly don't have time to create a random framing mode for the TV cams right now, but I hope we'll be able to implement it later as well as some DOF (Depth of Field), which would considerably improve the replay aesthetics.;)

About the real life TV cams, excepted a few earlier tracks, all the circuits now have their real life TV camera set + 2 or more alternative cameras for each corner, and this will be the policy for all the upcoming circuits aswell. You can check it for all the ADAC, DTM, and WTCC tracks.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed in GSCE and rFactor 2 that the camera lags very slightly behind the cars which accomplishes the same effect. They look like the camera is lerping (slerping?) its rotation towards the car which smooths it out enough that you can see the car bounce around. I'm not looking for Battlestar Galactica shaky cam, just one that looks less like a programmatic LookAt style command.