Unbearable stuttering w/ Ryzen 5800x & RX5700XT & 16Gb 3200 DDR4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amg_aku, Feb 11, 2021.

1. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

As you can read at the title... I stopped playing R3E in December 2019 (due to lack of ranked multiplayer), using a 2600x, and it was working perfectly.

Now I downloaded it again and started playing in January´21 and terrible stuttering started, so I read lot of threads about the new updates, and decided to try with a new CPU so a brand new Ryzen 5800x arrived to my x470. FPS improved drastically, but stuttering continues ruining the game.

The display is a 49" Samsung LC49RG90 5120x1440px 120Hz
    Fanatec CSL Elite & Clubsport V3 pedals whith drivers and Fanalab updated.
    Windows 10 fully updated.
    All CPU drivers updated.
    GPU drivers installed with latest recommended version (no beta or untested ones).
    AMD x470 Chipset updated (Feb`21 latest version).
    Bios updated (F60a, Sept`20).

The stuttering starts in any game mode, with AI activated or deactivated, in any track (Nords, Portimao, Hillclimb ...) and always after 4 or 5 minutes of playing, progressively until it becomes unbearable at 7-8 minutes. Even the steering wheel and gear stops responding properly.

Here you can see the stuttering (I have more videos but I suppose this one shows the problem perfectly):

Here is the CPU-Z info:

The GPU info in-game with low-medium graphics is attached to the thread. High graphics reach 140-150 fps with same stuttering.

I tried all the things I've read in this forum (you will read some copied/modified from the original threads, but done by myself without success):

• Used several permutations of different v-sync/freesync options (in game on/off, GPU different Freesync modes enabled and disabled, etc)
    • permutations of motion blur (people with certain stuttering issues have reported setting motion blur a certain way fixed their stuttering issues - I run normally all racing sims with motion blur OFF)
    • deactivated replays (I thought perhaps some virtual file size when collecting replay data produces the issue)
    • elevated process priority in task manager
    • I have disabled all and any head movements in Raceroom (the cockpit is essentially static and only the world moves).
    • 32 bits version starts stuttering but not as soon as 64 bits version, 3 or 4 minutes later.
    • disabled Win10 fullscreen optimization in exe file.
    • capping FPS with RTSS.
    • lower app detection level in RivaTuner Statistics Server to "None".
    • terminate RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner.
    • uninstall RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner
    • Reduced shadow quality, contact shadows, AA and # of cars.
    • Steam Integrity check (no errors).
    • Removed S3 Web Dash files and removed the web dash launch code from steam.
    • Full uninstall and reinstall from steam + Erasing all User data.
    • Erased Raceroom's Cache folder in My Documents.
    • Erased X64 folder in raceroom and then did Steam integrity check to have them replaced.
    • Installed all pending Windows updates.
    • Ran windows System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and if found and fixed a few corruptions/permissions errors (none).
    • Used DDU to remove everything GPU related in safe mode, clean install of latest GPU AMD drivers and setup its options again (default, tuned, disabling all...).
    • Installed OtterHUD and tried all performance options.
    • Uninstalled OtterHUD without success.
    • Assigned programs to different CPU cores.
    • Turned off Force Feedback on in R3E as well as on the wheel.
    • Deleted controller profile in RaceRoom and created a new one.

The end result of any combination made (I have not enjoyed the game for a month, only used it to try these combinations without enjoying it) is always the same: stuttering and supine anger.

Assetto Corsa works flawless, PC2 works flawless, iRacing works flawless... why the hell I can't play with R3E and enjoy what I paid for?????

HELP please.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Have you got msi afterburner / rivatuner installed. They are known to cause issues.

3. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As I said in my previous post, both were installed and, after some failed tests, uninstalled.

Thank you. More ideas?

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sorry missed that. Hmm no not really. Your system is a beast, it should be running flawlessly.

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I'm only guessing here, but unfortunately I've read many times that DX9 support on newer AMD GPU's is... not great. Many people have performance issues with them in older games. So maybe it's worth looking for a solution an abstraction level higher, try reinstalling the latest DX9 version, maybe a clean AMD driver reinstall and things like that. I have an NVIDIA card, so I have nothing specific I'm afraid.

6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I've read from another user that he has problems with FPS as soon as he turns his wheel. In his case it was a Fanatec CSW 2.5. A different model, but maybe there is something fishy with their latest driver. I'm using a CSW 2.5 too and have no problems, but I'm still on driver 381, the latest is 402.

It's a bit hard to see on your video, but it looks a bit as if your FPS are fine as long as the wheel is about straight and go down as soon as you start steering.

So, which is your driver version from Fanatec, and if it is 400 or 402, could you try to go back to 381? You would need to downgrade all the firmwares too to have a reliable result though. Quite a bit of a PITA I admit and only a shot in the dark, but maybe there is something worth trying. The other guy also has a new AMD CPU. Could even be a combination of driver and CPU or chipset.

Here's the thread: Problem - Massive framerate drops when I turn the wheel in VR?? | Sector3 Studios Forum

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    this may not be the issue but it just might be ; is your wheel plugged into a usb 3 port ; if so try a usb 2 port
    "Also there is no official support for using Fanatec stuff with USB Hubs as this can lead to numerous problems and its highly recommended to connect the Wheel Base to a Motherboard USB port, if possible USB 2.0 because USB 3 or 3.1 also can lead to issues (which also might be the cause why you have problems here with the Hub as it also uses USB 3 which is not recommended at all for Fanatec gear)."

taken from the net

Andi

8. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Windows 10, impossible to install dx9. Thank you.

9. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Downloaded 381 drivers, will test them tomorrow. Thank you!

10. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    :eek:

Both plugged to usb 3.0!

Will try tomorrow before downgrading the drivers... crossing fingers!

Thank you too ;)

11. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Well, you should try USB 2 first before you downgrade the drivers. A lot easier to test.

12. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Without changes... going to try to downgrade the drivers :(

13. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, bad news... with driver 381 no FFB in my wheel, impossible to play this way.

USBs now connected to 2.0 without improvements :(

14. Javier Campos

Javier Campos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem with 5950x & 3090 & VR with RaceRoom only, less exaggerated like a micro stuttering but very annoying.

I've done everything you put on the list too. I had fanatec version 381 and I just upgraded to 402 with the same result, I also changed usb ports.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Stupid question , can you set the pre rendered 9frames to 1

Andi

16. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello Andi,

Can you explain a bit more? Where I should do this change? Thank you and have a nice Sunday.

17. Javier Campos

Javier Campos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In nvidia settings, prerended frames for VR. Think solve my problem.

Regards.

18. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

Somewhere in your graphic card settings

Andi

19. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, it's a Nvidia setting but I am using an ATI Radeon card (RX5700XT) and it doesn't appears in the ATI Radeon Adrenalin software.

20. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I´ve done another test:

1) Unplugged wheel, pedals and uninstalled Fanatec drivers again (v402).
    2) Uninstalled all chipset drivers.
    3) Rebooted.
    4) Installed the mainboard chipset drivers, including USBs ports.
    5) Rebooted.
    6) Installed Fanatec v381 driver.
    7) Shutdown.
    8) Changed the USB ports were pedals and Wheel were plugged to another ones, both 2.0.
    9) Rebooted.
    10) Calibrated wheel and pedals using Fanatec Driver app. Now the FFB works, we can test the game.
    11) Started Raceroom: single player, practice, no IA, time 1x, DTM 2016 BMW and Nurburg 24h track.

Before, the game started stuttering during the first lap near Zuschauer-Punkte and starting the second lap, at Dunlop-Kehre the car was impossible to drive it.

After this change, I can do almost 2 laps without stuttering, who starts again near Tiergarten ending the second lap. Regrettably the stuttering becomes worse faster and starting the 3rd lap, the car becomes again impossible to drive it.

I am quite sure it's a problem between Fanatec drivers and R3E. Both are German teams, you can solve this issue working together!

Thank you.