Problem Understeer Group 5

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Iain Richmond, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Iain Richmond

Iain Richmond New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I came back to raceroom, after a long lay off; went and raced Group 5 (fabcar) against AI at Zolder on difficulty 98. But, it was an understeer nightmare; 6 seconds off the leaders, and every damn opponent overtaking me in every turn, due to crippling understeer. I have the CSL DD, and have the recommended settings from fanatec dialed in, and the steering sensitivity on Auto. But for me it’s undriveable, and due to the understeer I’m pathetically slow. If anyone can help here, it’d be appreciated; I used to love this sim, but this understeer has killed it for me.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Avoid the 935 as it has not got a proper rear differential so on anything but the shallowest of curves it doesn´t want to turn in. The Capri is the one you want for Zolder.

3. Iain Richmond

Iain Richmond New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I’ll give that a try, thanks

4. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    There is also a problem with the 935 because the turbo keeps pushing when you release the throttle pedal. You have to brake earlier but you will be able to accelerate earlier also because of the huge turbo lag. It's really different from the way you can drive the Capri or the BMW 320.

5. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    last time i got to drive them was in February and they were fine, 935 is good and damn fast, monza is balanced well.
    youll just have to re learn to drive them

6. Iain Richmond

Iain Richmond New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    …’relearn to drive them’, sure, if you’ve got any pointers, about how to deal with the brutal understeer, and the blisteringly fast AI that brake late, and corner like they’re on rails, please‍!!

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The Capri and BMW will always be the fastest around Zolder as it is a high downforce track with short straights and some tight chicanes. The other cars fare better on tracks where top speed is an advantage. Also got to take into account engine mapping for the turbo cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Beastux

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I still don't understand why we can't use engine mapping in leaderboards or hotlap competitions. In the latest ones (Watkins Glen and Monza), the only car that could be used to achieve a decent laptime was the Greenwood Corvette but the 320, 935 and Capri were way too slow.
    And with the engine map locked in position 3, these cars are not really fun to drive (just like the Group C cars).

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    For the same reason - if mapping is used then the cars without it in the same class will be markedly slower, especially on power circuits. I guess you can´t win.

10. Beastux

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Sure, but both Chevrolets have so much power without engine mapping that there should be a BOP in hotlap competitions.

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The Greenwood has its own BOP by having no brakes or downforce! Even with map 3, the Capri will beat it on any tracks with more corrners than straights and only high level players like you can get a fast clean lap in with those cars.

12. Beastux

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have to try to do some laps at Pau-Ville with the Corvette to be sure you are right!! :D I recorded a 1.19:714 lap with the Capri, we'll see... :p