Very low FPS on good system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ronelst85, Jul 11, 2016.

1. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

A quick introduction; I grew up playing GTR and GTR2, now that I had the money again to buy a wheel again (Logitech G920) I also bought the European track pack, Group 5 pack, DTM 92 pack and the Classic Touring Cars pack (I used to LOVE GT Legends). Handling with my wheel after a while of setting it up in test drive is superb, I can't go back to Forza 6 anymore, it's so intuitive, not problems here.

Also the few races I've has were fantastic, especially Zandvoort is a dream in the Volvo.

But something is holding me back a lot, so much so that it's hard for me to put much more time in the game.
    My laptop specs are:

WIN 10 64-bit, latest DirectX
    Intel I7 4710 @ 2.5 Ghz (4-core)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX850M (latest driver as of 8-7-16)
    16GB DDR3 Ram

I can play most games at high, even latest games, racing games, train simulators with 16km draw distance etc.
    But Racing Room is running on all the settings low, 1600x1200 resolution with 21 opponents (the minimum for me to be realistic) from anywhere between 200fps when in pits to 25fps when there are a few cars around me, but sometimes it might do 80fps when I'm racing in a pack but it might also be 30fps when I'm on my own ahead of the pack.
    I've tried MANY "solutions" that I could find on the web with no success.

I noticed that when I do the recommended setting in game, it will put everything on high and 1080p and it will still run at 30fps average with spikes from 60 to 10 fps.

Why is it so all over the place? Shouldn't my Laptop run 60fps steady on at least Medium settings? It's frustrating especially after putting $60 down on this otherwise brilliant sim.

Many thanks in advance.

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
  3. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've tried that, and installed many other programs to help me with this issue to no avail. I've also read many people have similar problems.

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    What @m.bohlken wrote was also my first thought. I have a notebook with nVidia graphics too and from this I learned that you need to assign a profile with the nVidia chip selected as graphics device to use. The reason is the fact that the nVidia driver does not recognize RRRE as a game - it's just not popular enough to be in the list by default. This leads to the onboard chip to be used every time you launch RRRE.

So it's not only something to try amongst other things - it's always essential to assign a profile to RRRE. Otherwise your notebook will never use the nVidia chip. Or you could always launch the game using the game's executable via the nVidia context menu, which I find a lot less convenient.

The executable to be assigned to the profile (or to be started via nVidia context menu) is this one:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\RRRE.exe

5. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do appreciate the response, but all of that I already do..... forcing the game to play with the Nvidia card etc, nothing helps. All I can do is run the game at lowest setting possible and have 25-200fps. No matter how many cars/ what track, it's frustrating and ruins the game.

6. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    * Just watched an Emptybox vid of GTLegends... and it looks better and sharper than what I'm running RaceRoom.:(

7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Weird, with that laptop you should get a lot better frame rate!
    You can try to set V-sync on in the Nvidia kontroll panel, thinking about the range you get 25-200fps.. o_O:confused:

I had R3E running okay on medium on my old laptop that had an Nvidia GT650M.

Ps: Do you have the powercable connected correctly?
    Have happened to me a couple of times that the power cable wasn't in as it should, which gives low fps as a result. :oops:

8. WozzaUK

WozzaUK Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I had fps problems initially. You might simply have everything too high - those 'auto' setting always do that in my experience.

In the end what I did was bite the bullet and start using the Low preset - I immediately got 200FPS! I tried the Medium one and was surprised at how good it looked and I still got good frames.

Try it yourself. It seems that what S3 call 'High' is actually what a lot of devs call 'Ultra'. That's my experience anyway.

Other advice is to always turn shadow split on. The shadows look terrible if you don't. So use the Low preset, make sure shadow split is on and see how you go. From there use Medium and do the same.

That's what worked for me. You were talking about GTLegends - well mine now looks like a kind of updated GTL, which is perfectly acceptable in my eyes.

Hope that helps. :D

9. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have all shadows turned OFF.... same for reflections and everything else on low.... To be honest; this laptop runs everything fine except for this game. I've set up a profile, force start the exe in the game folder to use the Nvidia card etc etc but nothing seems to work. Still the massive lag and PS2 graphics.

So when I force start the game with either the Nvidia card or the integrated card, the performance is the same. The game does not want to use the Nvidia card no matter what I do. :(

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  10. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Is there an indicator LED or similar on your laptop that turns on when you're using your Nvidia GPU so that you're able to confirm whether it's using it or not? My laptop has such an LED and I think some others do too.

Also, have you definitely set RRRE.exe to use the Nvidia GPU in the Nvidia control panel? I think I actually forced *all* the .exe files in the steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game directory to use the Nvidia GPU.

I have a 970M and even with pretty much everything maxed and high AA settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector can get about 90fps - I wouldn't expect that with an 850M, but that GPU ought to be able to run the game at decent fps on settings that make it look better than GPL.

11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Myself and a couple other guys confirmed an issues where certain motherboard chipsets we were using caused the game to bottleneck heavily in certain tracks and areas of tracks. In these cases, a new and different mobo fixed the issue. These were in desktops though.

Probably doesn't help you much, but if you've tried everything, might be good to know at least.

12. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I just realized your win X I'm win 8. So you might have a different way to access the task manager.

I'm running a slower system. here's my settings.
    Aspect ratio is 16.9
    Resolution is 1280x720 60HZ
    Full screen ON
    VSync OFF
    Field of view 0.7
    Graphics are set to low.
    I'm getting a very consistent 60 to 70 fps
    See if that helps

Also another thing to do is go into the task manager and see if there any unnecessary processes in "Startup" that you can shut down.
    Then cold boot your computer so you have only basic system processes running.
    Start the game. After it is running, go into the task manager and click on "details".
    Scroll down until you find RRRE.EXE. RIGHT click on that.
    Drop down to "Set priority" and click on "Realtime".
    That will assign all available processing power to the game.

hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  13. ronelst85

ronelst85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the replies, but after hours and hours of trying, nothing seems to work. I found out the game is using the Nvidia card and now it doesn't seem to matter if I run it on high graphics or the lowest setting, with 22 cars on the track it runs in between 25-40fps which is unacceptable for a race game. When I hot lap on my own I get 60fps, but racing with anything more than 6 other opponents and it drops to 30fps or below (and it's inconsistent which makes it look worse). I guess a refund is out of the order as with so many digital purchases. It is not my laptop as I said before, it runs most games on high settings with 60fps. It must be that the game is not well optimized for my graphics card or something like that. But I feel like I just threw away $60.

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I really wonder that your Frames are jumping up and down in such a wide range. I really haven't noticed anything like that in R3E. Have you checked if you are running the game in window mode? There is an option in the Graphics-Settings in R3E.
    Window mode enabled is the default setting. For me it is better when disabled.

In addition - try stopping every other Program that is running in the background and not really needed. Just to be sure that there isn't any resource-conflict.

15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if that helps, but I am having issues as well, from time to time. without v-sync I get approximately 120 fps on my TV via HDMI. When I am driving in cockpit view the image stutters during braking and in corners (very obvious in those situations). I tried to lower everything in video settings, but this didn't help! Overall I got more fps but this effect is still prominent. Then I switched to the bonnet cam, any cam that is outside the car and it is perfect!?
    So somehow it has to do with the int cam, windshield? Even ReShade does not matter in this case, on/off. On my system it is the cockpit view that causes this stuttering effect, even if the frame counter (ReShade) says 120 fps it looks like 40 fps or so

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  16. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem with a an HDMI cable as well. The problem is the HDMI cable has very a low transfer rate. Something like 25 MHz.
    Switch to an SVGA also known a
    An RGB cable. That will help with stuttering.

17. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ha, interesting! I will try this out. I bought an new HDMI 2.0 (5m )cable, 4k blabla. So perhas an older SVGA cable might be better :) thank you! or it is too long, hm. With a playstation it is working on the same TV. Anyway, its time to get a proper rig and either monitors or VR (for Raceroom in the future ...) I better wait until next year

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016