VR when ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michaelc51, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    A lot more customers would benefit from multi monitor support so that should come first.

2. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Probably have to back that up with facts n figures you know because some people can get really defensive about their prefered.
    Got to say i agree completely.

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    VR was requested by RaceRoom for their Event-Booth... So VR went up in priority...

But at the end - you can't please them all...

For Multi-Screen at least a work-around is possible - for VR not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Harry Fuchs

Harry Fuchs New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Multi-Screen is the past and VR the future. So for sure they gone invest time and resources in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean we get flux capacitor to bolt on group 5 cars ? :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Hoping for VR support, too, since I have a Rift now. Assetto Corsa and Iracing are an incredible new experience with it although I was sceptical at first – low resolution, FOV, having to turn off graphic effects etc. However after putting it on for the first time and trying Nords with it I was blown away. The FOV is better for me as I used a single screen with the correct calculated FOV before. Now I’m glad that I don’t have to look through a tiny hole to see where I’m driving. :D Especially narrow curves are now much better approachable. And the resolution? No problem for me, to be honest. Yes, it’s not crystal clear and sharp but I don’t care because I don’t have time to look into the distance that much when I’m racing. So it’s easy to loose a bit of resolution for the incredible ammount of immersion you’ll get imo. You think you sit in that damn car! I won’t get back to my normal screen now because racing there will feel wrong and artifical.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I certainly will own a HMD in the future but i doubt that i won't use my triple screens anymore then. I have had the Rift CV1 for two days before i sent it back simply because the image quality was so poor and under certain conditions i felt sick. Dirt Rally was almost unplayable due to motion sickness. Other racing games were mostly ok. I would say that VR will only work perfectly if you have a motion rig too (at least for me).

The new VR HMD owners are shouting very loud so that we could get the impression they are many. I understand their demand but i just want a feature first that have already existed even in rFactor 1 and exists in rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa...

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I was sick for 15 hours after my first 15 minutes in VR.. But you'll get used to it if you don't quit.
    After a week, I could even barrel role in War Thunder without being sick!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    But you should at least quit (take a break), when the first symptoms of sickness occur. It doesn't help to ignore the sickness. You'll feel even worse.
    Try small periods of VR time first, and when you feel motion sickness, you should instantly put down the VR headset. After your health condition is back to normal, you can take a new attempt. This way most VR users can increase their VR time (without motion sickness) step by step.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, if you "push through" the sickness you risk associating even the smell of the VR headset with nausea, so you feel sick even just putting it on

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, maybe I was a bit unclear, I didn't mean he should have pushed 168 hours straight. :eek::D
    I surely didn't use VR more that first day. :confused:
    But I was at it again the day after for about 20 minutes, and gradually increased the time spent in VR, and every time i felt less sick.
    After about a week I was cured, and could be in for several hours without feeling nauseous.

I can still get those nauseous feelings in some games or motions, but if I only close my eyes for a couple of seconds it goes away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, build up to it is the key. I found that games which offer a choice of teleporting and smooth track-pad movement are great way to get your VR-legs. The Solus Project is a good example - you can teleport around if you want to, or slide around with the trackpad movement then switch back to teleporting if you start to feel a bit weird. It's also a brilliant game :)

13. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Huh, maybe I can train the nausea away too then. I don't feel too sick in R3E but it's not entirely comfortable either. Would be nice to actually be able to play VR games...

14. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I did a stupid thing that almost cost me a head trauma. Was driving then for some stupid reason decided it would be cool to look at my car from the outside and I stood up in the room with the car still rolling and coasting, then walked out of the car while car was moving. Almost fell on the floor and puking my guts out.

Otherwise I'm good, no nausea :p

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of my first encounters with reefer :D

16. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    If you need another VR tester to test external cameras, I'm completely immune to VR nausea. ;)

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I thought i was immune till I played an hour of half life 2, water bike and ravensholm. Turns out I'm not immune at all

18. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    any infos, when the VR update will come? or is there an option for testen a early stage of VR ingame?

19. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    staring at my phone for a couple hours gives me headaches, VR would kill me !!

20. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I got my Oculus Rift in June 2016 and of course I used it for long hours at the beginning to test everthing. I was disoriented for about 2 weeks. Reality and VR-reality were mixing up and I dreamt all lot about my VR experiences at night. But after 2 weeks my brain seems to have adjusted to the new experience. Nausea was never really a problem for me, as I was almost only playing racing and flight sims with fixed cockpit camera positions. But one thing is absolutely important: NEVER use a swiveling replay camera in VR. This will immediately cause nausea, as your head is not moving and your brain will recognize that. For replays in racing sims (AC / Dirt Rally) I always use the fly behind camera and that works perfect for me.