What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Track map IMG_20170331_202428.jpg
    Red: Leading car
    Green: You
    Blue: Faster car (Blue flag)
    And more... Slow car, accidents...

• Like x 10
    • Dislike x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Flamedphoenix

Flamedphoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    I rarely watch the track map. So for me it wouldnt be a advantage, that its worth to implement.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad idea, I make use of the map often, but could end up being very irritating/distracting with all the colours changing and stuff...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I don't see the point of it, every racing Game the first thing I do is turn the map off, who has time to look at it and decipher it when racing? Leaderboard and split times are more than enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don't use the track at all, because it breaks the immersion for me. I think the flag system and an implementation of it within the crew chief app would do the job just great for me.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad idea and I won't mind getting it in the game. I use the track map all the time in all games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Id do it like this...

Red - You
    White (no color) other drivers on same lap or less laps
    Blue - drivers that are a lap ahead or more.

This way those that are slower can see "ok im being lapped"

But yeah, not something id want for myself.

Edit: just realized this is basically what Johnny proposed anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I think with flag system you wouldn't need this. They have sth like this in pcars 2 but it's more confusing than informative because there the dot colors change when they cross the start/finish line.
    A color code system for relative gap times would be more useful (they have that too in pcars 2)... but when you're lapped or you're going to lap someone the new flag system will tell you I guess. So better put the work in something that's not already there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    This is nice. If you don't like the track map, position bar or the mini-data display you can turn them off.

But I use them all and of course Crew Chief. The more information I can get the better it is :)

Are they a distraction? Not to me, I don't see them if I don't look at them. raceroom-racing-experience-r3e-v.jpg

But of course, everything has a limit...

images (1).jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Martin93

Martin93 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I pretty much only use track map when its a large field on my outlap in qualifying to make sure I get a clean lap, so for me it's not worth it that much. But guess it would be a good thing for people who use the track map more...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Not sure I am supposed to say much about their system. Pcars 2 system is to aid you on whether you are lapping or lapped cars on track. I find it to be incredibly useful in lengthy multiclass races.

12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I always wondered who those five people were driving around the outside of the track and now I know! :rolleyes:

I do use the track map, mainly for re-joining track after excursion (50 x per race) so would be nice to perhaps highlight people ahead of you in one colour and behind another, so annoying waiting for someone to pass only to find out they're 2 laps down on you, be nice to know who leader was also, so I'm up for a couple added colours, just not sure about the full rainbow effect.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I use the track map to remember what the next couple of corners are going to do.
    Yes, my memory is that bad!*
    The colours for other cars would be nice, but I can cope without. Maybe once I start Online Racing more (#rankingsystemsoon) then I will need the colours. (AI cars rarely lap me....)

*Also, I know that the map is actually slowing down the learning process, but I would be too lazy to try out new tracks without this option (or racing line indicator).

14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Yep, same here. Actually the only reason I have it on.
    The color-coded dots is a step in the right direction, but personally I'd rather have a color-coded list of racers with delta-times, and forego the map altogether. Something like what iRacing and NR2003 uses.

15. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Very good idea, especially the possibility to distinguish between normal guys behind me and ones I have to let pass by under blue flag.

16. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    @GooseCreature perhaps I should have written "track map"...:D

I see the advantages of a track map like this, but FOR ME it breaks the immersion, as already written in my last post. Especially with the flag rules coming soon and a crew chief app talking to me, I don't see the need for such a widget. If there are leading cars approaching (being one lap down and/or driving a slower class in multiclass races) I get a flag and voice message... rejoining the track after being off, it's just a look over my shoulder (I'm using the Rift). Perhaps Mr. Belowski could even manage a call like "All clear... rejoin the track" or "Hold on, traffic on track..." in the future. I would prefer this much more than a colored track map, that breaks my concentration, distracts me and let me miss my breaking points and so on. But that's just my opinion.

17. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I like it as well. I know F12016 isn't the most realistic of all games, but I like seeing the dots as well and wish they were color coded as well. In any sim without a relative indicator like in iRacing, it would be nice to know if the car you're approaching is on the lead lap or a lap down

18. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Can't you turn the map off? (I couldn't, so never looked to see if it could be done.)
    With the technology we have today, there is no reason why 'real' racers couldn't have a track map and opponent dots displayed on their windscreens/visors. (contact lenses? too much?)
    I am not a pussy, I am a pioneer of cutting edge technology. (That's my version of the truth, and I am sticking to it.)

Anything that can help newcomers to the game (or pussies) has got to be good, right? Especially if there is an option to turn it off.
    Well, maybe not anything.......

The driving line available on some games, I justify my use of it by assuming that I am not really seeing it; my memory is super-imposing it on the track.
    Suspension of disbelief and self-delusion are wonderful tools! :cool:
    Real world drivers use self delusion all the time: "I am the best, and no crash is gonna injure me."
    So again, it's not me being a pussy, it is merely that I have the correct mind set to be a real racer!;)

19. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This topic is named "What do you think about this?" @Mr_Mints_Taboo so I shared my thoughts. It was not a judgement if this kind of track map is good or not whether was it a (negative) rating of the guys using driving aids. I never threw names at newbies and no word or in between lines gives a hint at this. My comment was just what I think of this colored track map and I have no use for this! For everyone who likes the idea I hope that someone can realize it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I know, a typing error... Do you realize how forgiving our forum friends are :)

• Like Like x 1