Problem Wheel 'disconnection'/Game window focus?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Angry Hamster, Jun 3, 2016.

1. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I've had this 'problem' for most of the time that I've had Windows 10 and mostly didn't think anything of it until today when it was significantly more pronounced.

To explain, while driving a car in R3E I will occasionally visually see or feel a loss in ability to control the car for a very brief time period. In single player this is more noticeable as R3E pauses the game when this happens.

While racing today the same thing occured but to a much higher degree where I lost control twice in a short amount of time (around 10 seconds apart) for more than a full second each time. After this occurred, I stopped the R3E dedicated server client that was attempting to start servers (unsuccessfully, but that is an unrelated topic) and the loss of control went back to it's 'normal' state of hardly being noticeable and being highly infrequent.

With all of the times it has occurred it seems more like an issue of the R3E window losing focus, not necessarily the wheel not being connected correctly. It was pointed out to me that it may be beneficial to upload the logs to see if it could be determined what the cause was. Since I do not know which log has the information that would be useful, I have uploaded all of them from today :p (Performance.log was/is empty and therefore would not/will not upload)

In terms of my actual racing, it is worth mentioning while racing I usually have R3E, OBS Studio (Both streaming and recording), Chatty, Chrome, and the R3E dedicated server all running simultaneously.

Attached Files:

2. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Got another situation with this today and it definitely can't be the wheel this time as it is currently on a truck on the way for repairs and not here with me. This time it was a single 'disconnection' with an auto-pause during a challenge run while using my XBox One controller. Logs attached again :)

Attached Files:

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried without those apps running, is it still happening then?
    It sounds a bit like an issue I encountered when plugging controllers into frontside usb ports. Those ports deliver less voltage than regular ones (the ones directly connected to the mobo) and that difference was enough to make some controllers disconnect-reconnect frequently.
    But it might also be what you suspect, the window focus shifting...Are you running RR in windowed mode or fullscreen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Indeed... I have some USB problems myself if I use my second onboard USB controller or ports connected to it. This controller does not like my gamepad, either it fails completely on all ports once a single rumble occurs (using the windows drivers) or it disconnects my gamepad on some rumble events (using the vendors latest drivers). It's a VIA usb controller, so if your board is shipped with a similar one, try the ports connected to the mainboard's chipset. I figured that out reading the manual. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I run in Windowed, but it has happened in full screen also. In terms of USB devices, I've had my wheel and controller plugged into the back and the front and it occurs in both scenarios.

I did not have the issue even once today while I was testing my new wheel without anything else running at the same time so I'm still about 99% certain it's an odd window focus interaction issue. Not even sure S3S can do anything about it as it's a very odd issue, but worth noting :)

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, sounds very much like that then. Would be nice to know which of the other apps you mentioned actually causes it, but of course I understand if that'd be too time consuming to test out one at a time.
    Maybe it's a hotkey setting in one of those programs that interferes?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. Shenmue_X

Shenmue_X Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Make sure your motherboard driver is updated to solve your USB issues.

8. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    The thing is the issue doesn't occur when I'm playing other racing titles in windowed mode. The only difference I can really think of would be the R3E dedicated server client, if that is somehow taking focus away at times?

It isn't a USB issue and all my drivers are always up to date.

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Would be a surprise to me, there are quite some people who run the game and the server on the same machine and nobody has reported sth like this so far. Maybe it's even several programs interferring, not just one causing this, difficult issue to judge or replicate from outside I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This is what I do when using the server. And it seems to be no problem so far. I am in borderless window mode as this way I don't need vsync and can reduce input lag.

11. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    That's part of why I didn't expect much in terms of actually addressing it as it almost seems like a very specific subset of just my pc/software setup while I race, but figured it was at least worth posting as maybe someone could see something I was missing :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to give an update to this issue as I recently found a semi-work around for it. It was occuring in F1 2016 as well, to a MUCH greater extent, and I figured I would try something that was mentioned once in terms of setting the process priority.

When I set the process priority to Above Normal or High the problem all but disappears. Instead of getting 12 - 18 short wheel 'disconnects' per 4 hour session I instead get around 1 - 2. No idea if this is useful information in any way, but at least if someone else happens to run into a similar problem this might help :)

So effectively it is 100% something Windows 10 related, but it's nearly impossible to tell exactly what is causing it specifically for my setup.