Question where can I see my latency (ping)?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Ando Balins, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Ando Balins

Ando Balins New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello!
    Please tell me where can I see in game my ping? I have been kicked from all multiplayer races lately by too high ping than server limits, but cannot find where to see my ping. asked in chat and response was I have 82. but want to see all the time.

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Ping.jpg
    You see it in the server list

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I have no clue about all this so perhaps a slightly stupid question but is ones ping stable so that i can check in the list before joining and after that itll stay at that number or is it constantly changing? If its the latter (which would seem more likely to me but who knows :D) is there a way to see the ping while on a server?

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Of course it's constantly changing - it's networking. But what you see in the server list should be a rough estimate where your average ping to the server is. As long as you don't use WiFi or suddenly start to download or stream a huge load of data, your ping SHOULD be quite stable. Of course there are always other possibilities to have an unstable ping like ISP issues and such, but this is quite rare. The only thing I can advise you is don't use WiFi, better use a cable. Some people might have a stable WiFi, but generally WiFi tends to produce lag spikes from time to time, that can be severe enough to get you booted immediately.

So what you see on the server list is your ping to the server. Once you are on the server you can't see your ping to the server anymore. The only thing you can see is the ping you have to other players. It's the number in brackets right behind their names when you have show names above cars enabled.

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well i use wifi :D
    Tried switching to a cable a while back but that only caused issues and normally i have no issues with wifi so i decided to stick with that

6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    If using a cable for LAN causes issues, you're doing it wrong, really... ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    One would think that plugging in a cable should be manageable even for me :D
    It would work fine for an hour or two of playing but then i would suddenly lose connection. Plugging the cable out and back in didnt get the connection back and i couldnt even turn on the wifi either. Only way to get a connection again was to restart the laptop (which takes around 10 minutes :D). After that happened a couple times during "important" races i decided to go back to wifi

8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I guess that's your router losing the connection to the internet, and not your PC losing the connection to your router.

9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    But why does simply restarting the pc get the connection back then?
    Also i had no problems with the connection on my phone or any other device during those laptop connection losses
    And why should the router lose connection when playing r3e via cable for a certain amount of time and never any other time?

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I get this sometimes, no idea why. Instead of restarting the laptop just right click on your network settings, choose network adapter options, disable the ethernet adapter and then re enable and you should get connection back.

11. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Good to know but that still wont save me from suddenly losing connection say during a ranked race so ill probably stick to wifi for the foreseeable future

Speaking of ranked races, i might as well completely hijack this thread for a moment :D, do you happen to know if youre no longer allowed to leave during quali or if thats just down to the general problems that have been affecting the ranked race stats recently?

12. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know you lose rating if you leave during quali. One of the reason might be that you are no longer allowed to join during quali either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Not a fan of it but at least now i know :D

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm not aware that this change has been made.

15. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well then back to uncertainty :D

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ok I've asked and there is no clear answer. @J-F Chardon will be reprocessing all the past results soon in light of the recent problems so it depends on what has been decided. Remember it's still a beta feature so these things can chop and change. To be on the safe side I would not leave a Q session until you hear otherwise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I see thanks for asking and reporting back :)
    I know things can and do still change, just sometimes wish wed be notified about them more regularly :D