which cpu to go for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M4IRC1IE, Apr 10, 2016.

1. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    so the time has come. My wife give me the go to kick the AMD out of my rig and let me switch to intel. So the biggest step is done :rolleyes: ! Now what do think is the best option for me. My gpu is a msi gtx970. I need a new mainboard and cpu. I'm thinking about 100€ for a mainboard. Cpu options are the xeon 1231v3 or i5 4690k. For the xeon i don't need to spend so much in mainboard because of no oc'ing and it's better for the future and I think better for working, I want to capture and stream to on the pc. And for the i5 I can oc so I would invest in a better mainboard, and I think its a little bit better in single core performance. So anybody here with some of these cpu's onboard to give me some infos. I would like to play r3e in 1080p 60vsync on almost high settings, which my AMD FX8350 can't get stable:mad:. And I play AC and pcars and future racing games.

2. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I have the 4690K running at stock clocking on a crappy Mini-ITX mainboard, and as far as I can see it runs everything just fine without bottlenecking anything. Haven't monitored the cpu load closely, but it rarely maxes out while playing.

3. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'm not too up to date on Intel processors but, isn't the Xeon a server processor?
    I would google my own question but, I really am that lazy today :D

Personally, I have a panned system update in October-December time, waiting on AMD Zen processors to be launched before deciding which to go for.

4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I also have a 4690 and all three simulators the OP mentioned run absolutely fine without overclocking. The Xeon is a server processor, it's basically an i7 without an integrated GPU (it doesn't really matter, because you will use a separate GPU anyway), on the other hand, the latter supports Hyper-Threading, which helps during video editing/3D rendering tasks, but I don't think it has significant benefits during gaming though. So I think for a desktop PC the 4690 would be the more logical choice, but that's just my personal opinion.

5. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I would like to have hyperthreading for video editing and streaming and future games, for this options the xeon would be great but not sure if the xeon can give me stable high fps in single threaded games like r3e even on maxed settings. Would be good, if someone have this xeon 1230v3 or 1231v3 working in his machine and can say me more about that cpu.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
  7. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    tested it weeks ago with no success.

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The overvolting bit?

9. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    yeah, lasso i tried second time today but get 5fps more and lots of stuttering, overvolting i tried too. now my fx8350 is running at 4.6 with no stable 60fps

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Long story short: Intel Core i5 is made for mainstream users who care about performance, and Intel Core i7 is made for enthusiasts and high-end users. If you follow this mantra, you're likely going to find the system you need. If money is tight, the i5 can be a good bang-for-the-buck choice.
    As for a Xeon, no advantage over the i7 for the enthusiast and will be more costly. For my high end servers Xeon all the way (ECC memory, etc.).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Montana.BE

Montana.BE Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    i5 beats Xeon on quality, but that may not have been the question possibly

12. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    For everyone commenting about the i5 and i7 vs the Xeon, it's worth noting M4IrC1IE mentioned wanting to do video editing. For that purpose, the Xeon's extra cores would be extremely useful. While not utilized extensively by games, video editing software takes full usage of any and all cores you have in both your CPU and GPU. I've never had a Xeon long-term, but I know when I've used them in the past (4 years ago was the most recent) they performed extremely well for rending. Very worth mentioning considering all the hate it seems to be getting in this thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    yeah, that's why I think I would like the hyperthreading a lot. When someone can confirm that the xeon can run stable 60fps @1080p with maxed settings in raceroom I would go with the xeon.

14. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    i've yet to find a decent upgrade from the i5 4690k from a gaming perspective. I'm sure the latest intels are a bit faster but i'll wait until the gap is larger. Overclocking (easily done with a $20 aftermarket fan) the 4690k nets some nice results in CPU demanding games like ETS2. It really does seem to be the sweet spot for gaming - hence the reputation as such.

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Simply because there isnt one. Skylake was a bit of a let down and really overpriced for what you get, considering it is nearly a year old. A decent upgrade past Haswell-refresh could be the enthusiast platform. Haswell-E isnt too bad, like the 5820k. Although switching to that platform is even more expensive lol. But if you run multi gpu setups and do lots of cpu intensive work, it isnt so bad.

I think this is probably because most of us here are more so gamers, than people who do video editing, rendering, audio engineering, etc. Most people here have probably never used a Xeon, let alone own one.

A Xeon is definitely more useful than consumer cpus if you are actually doing the sort of work that requires cpu power/many cores. And yeah, more cores is definitely better than hyperthreading like on the i7's. Although, from a purely gaming perspective, they arent quite as powerful as consumer cpus from benchmarks i have seen simply because most Xeons (sans the super high end $1k+) are clocked at pretty low speeds.

Disagree with that. Xeons could actually be less expensive than an i7 because comparable ones are actually cheaper, plus you dont need to run an overclocking mobo, and i dont believe all Xeons take ECC RAM, so there goes that extra cost.

Besides, true enthusiasts dont use consumer i7's. They use the enthusiast platforms. x99, etc.

16. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I manage to maintain 1080p 60vsync with most things on the highest settings using a mobile Intel Core i7-4720HQ Quad Core CPU @ 2.60MHz, though this can turbo boost to around 3.5-3.6Ghz. This is with an Nivida 970M GPU with 3GB vRAM. The CPU is running stock, the GPU doesn't need to be overclocked to run R3E at these settings, but I do OC the GPU a little sometimes to give myself more headroom.

17. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    okay it's done. I changed my cpu from AMD fx8350 to intel xeon 1231v3 and what a blast. With the fx I could play relative stable with 50 - 60 fps at mid settings and some on low and now with the xeon, everything maxed out without motion blur stable 60 fps with vsync and full grid. Love it now to play without stuttering and all these shit. The switch was the best upgrade I did last time.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to switch to Intel as well pretty soon. I currently have an 8350 and my neighbor has an I5, both PCs have similar specs otherwise and I notice his system definitely runs smoother. I did try Lasso and a few other tweaks that I think helped some but I'm ready to switch and be done with it. Are you running triple screens?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  19. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    no only single 24" screen. With 1080p

20. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Personally, i've been using the same i7-3820K for 3 years now and it's still doing great.