Bug Why are all AMD drivers after 20.5.3 not wirking with RacerRoom VR?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by keanos, Apr 4, 2021.

1. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I noticed a while ago, all drivers after 20.5.1 not working for RaceRoom via SteamVR (Valve Index VR)

It is equal which drivers I use (I prefer to use the recommended ones). I tried different ones, like 20.8.3 or 20.9.1, but with all other drivers after 20.5.1 the game and/or VR freezes as soon as klick the drive button.

I use an 5700XT. And I tried a few times since summer last year with different drivers, and I also reinstalled my windows in february, but nothing changed.

Which AMD driver version are you using with SteamVR? I can't imagine, that nobody can't use a newer driver version thatn that 1 year old driver.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Update: could made the newest recomended driver working, with updating Windows from 2004 to 20H2, but the performance with the same settings as in 20.5.1 (& 20.4.2) is really poor.

I created an error report for this issue via the AMD Driver tool.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  3. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Okay many trys later, 21.5.1, 21.5.2 & 21.6.1 work "okish", at least for me. But compared to 20.5.1 or 20.4.2 I see purple spikes in the SteamVR performance monitor, but for another guy using VR in our community with an AMD card those purple spikes makes the game unplayable for him. Elements of the game wobbling for him with every purple spike.

@Thomas Jansen can you please at this to the bug tracker? So it is monitored, and maybe you can compare the difference between the 20.4.2/20.5.1 and the 21.5.x and 21.6.x drivers?

4. neteye

neteye New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sadly i have to agree with @keanos as i am "another guy".

I have the purple spikes with less performance then before, but also another problem, connected or not: When i use one of the newer drivers (21.5.2, 21.6.1) i have a jelly raceroom. Like, some parts are just randomly warping and deforming a bit like when you poke jelly pudding. railings on the pitwall, screenwiper and mirrors, whole bodywork parts, even entire cars are wobbling around. the farther away something is, the more it perceivedly warps. screenwiper and mirrors like 3cm, fenders like 5cm, other cars 50cm+... it is desorientating and with warping cars also absolutely impossible to drive against others.

sadly i cant record this as the desktop capture seems to be totally fine...?

So i am stuck with the old 20.5.1 driver, without smoke and dust etc.

AMD R5 3600
    ASUS TUF B450-Plus
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    32gb DDR4-3000 (4*8)
    Valve Index
    So a very similar to Keanos setup.

5. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Update: another driver version another try. And it's worse. with the 21.7.2 things get more worse, then with the okish 21.6.1
    I notice the same "wobbling" elements like neteye told about. With 21.6.1 it looked at least only like low fps stutter.

So I think for now I switch back to the 20.5.1 and during the next weekends I will switch to a separate installation of Windows10 only for RaceRoom, so I can user newer driver versions for the other games on my normal Windows Installation.