why does the rear wing not change anything speed wise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OverTheLine, Jul 12, 2017.

1. OverTheLine

OverTheLine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Hi

I've noticed this for a while now but kept my mouth shut thinking it would be fixed. But why does a change in rear wing not effect how slow/fast the car accelerates in GTR3 (ive not tried in others). Im practicing for shanghai and the only weak point i can find is the car is slow on the straight (Mclaren 650's)..i changed the rear wing reducing it and taking the same line...yet , no speed difference...why is this? the im sacrificing the handling of my car in order to get a better striaght line advantage (or in this case, get rid of my disadvantage)...but yet it doesn't appear to do anything (reduced the rear wing by 3 clicks as well)....

gearing is fixed due to the specs of the car so i cant even do that either...so, whyyyyyyy
    #Fixit!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, are you sure on that? IMO it makes a different, but haven't checked it recently.

Not sure which setting you use at the moment, but try to go a bit more extreme... 3 Clicks are not that much in the available range...

3. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    top of the rang is 16 clicks...so a reduction is 3 clicks is a reduction of almost 20%....thats more than plenty for a change in speed to take place...i did also go lower than this, and the difference was so minimal...not even worth taking the extra risk in comparison...maybe the other cars are simply allot faster for some reason...

i know for a fact that the camaro is the fastest in the straight line by a long shot, but ye isnt that terrible in the corners either making it completely unbalanced....

4. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Had a different view on this last sunday :rolleyes:. To be honest I had almost no wing and couldn't catch you on the straight but my driving skills are on another page. I think in previous releases you could feel the difference more clearly but it's still noticeable...a bit;) As already mentioned you won't feel 3 clicks that clearly on the straight. The question is if the slightly higher topspeed is worth the more instable handling in the corners.

5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I consider 13 of 16 to be quite a high downforce setting of the wings on a high speed track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I normally go down to at least 12, there is a massive difference in straight line speed in the P2 Radical. Been also testing Shanghai.

7. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    please note because I say there was a reduction of 3 clicks doesn''t mean I run 16 wing...lol...if you must know the wing I ran was 10..so a reduction = 7 ...and though I gained about 0.5 seconds on ralf during the mid sector...he simply gained it all back on the straight making my job allot harder than his... he did have a slipstream, and as he has already mentioned he was running a very low wing....but I reduced the wing...both to 7 and then even 5....and yet going down the back straight there is no sign of quicker acceleration...iRacing and Rfactor...I can change the wing by 2 clicks...and I feel a better turn in AND (and here is the difference) speed acceleration on the straights....I don't know what it is...but the McLaren just doesn't change speed when you reduce wing for me...

maybe its just that im used to iRacing/Rfactor....I dunno just sharing my thoughts

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the Radical SR9 goes below 13 becomes very oversteery and unstable.

9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Very rarely run a rear wing higher than 4 on any car in RR, unless forced as in DTM, be far to compromised on any straight, I thought that was one of the golden rules in RR. Most of the quicker chaps in the community (definitely not me) seem to run as little rear wing as possible and be able to master the horrendous oversteer and instability that accompanies such a setup. More rear wing makes for a great feel but is so slow on the straights that you're a sitting duck, it's all about compromise (as is so many things in life), finding the balance between speed and stability but ultimately its down to the individual and their ability to handle the car using such extreme setups.
    The human brain is also quite a piece of kit, it doesn't take many laps for it to adapt to the most ridiculous of setups, as with most sporty type disciplines it's all about muscle memory and seeing as I can't even remember what my point was, you can comprehend this equates to my lack of speed on the track, young, keen, absorbent brains should always overcome the old, punch drunk, life beaten, char-grilled, drug addled lump of dog meat I have to make decisions with. o_O

10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    In many other classes the gain from lowering wings is much more prominent.

The GTR3 class was BOP'ed last year and changing the aero physics was a big part of that. (Low wing drag was increased, high wing drag was decreased to create more balanced lift/drag ratios.)
    In general the speed gained from lowering the rear wing by 1 click on GTR3 cars should be about 0,5 km/h, although it also depends on the car and its power to weight ratio. (McLaren has the 2nd worst p/w ratio, P4/5 is worst iirc.)
    Plus a big portion of the downforce comes from the underbody, which we can't influence via the setups.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    if this is the case then this does not reflect the car in real life, for a car that holds its own vs other gt3 cars in the blancpain series (even catching them), along with winning the blancpain gt series constructors and driver champ, Asian Leman Series champs, Austrialian GT champs and driver + team + manufacturor champs in the pirelli challenge (in 2016 alone!)...how the hell does it have the 2nd to worst P/W ratio, to the point where im losing over 0.5 seconds on just one straight...its broken..fix it please (its my favourite GT3 car)

you then have other cars such as the Chevvy camaro..that gains over half a second on literally anything going up the hill at bathurst, same with the ford gt (though its not as bad) ..this isnt Bop'd at all from what i can see. Im ok with cars being slightly faster than others as thats realistic, but so long as their handling is balanced out to reflect real life advantages and disadvantages, so far the gt3 field does not reflect this on many different levels mostly due to the fact that the faster cars arent "nerfed" so to speak when it comes to handling in the corners to make that balance..

Im not bashing the devs, as i know they work really hard, but this stuff must be tested thoroughly before patches are released, there is simply no way...the mclaren is that slow, and if it is to the point where i cant defend on a straight against another car after having perfected my mid sectors then all its going to do is force people to go for another car like the ford GT...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017