Question Windows 10

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Peevee88, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Got a pop up on my PC offering me free Windows 10.
    I currently use Windows 7 Ultimate and like it.

1. Would upgrade to 10 negatively affect my sim?
    2. What would the main differences be?
    3. Is it okay to stick to Windows 7 for the long term?

Sims I have are RaceRoom, iRacing, rF2, GSCE, Assetto and PCars

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'm sticking to Windows 7 as well. Too many games that I'm unsure of but I'd bet that all of those will be compatible soon after launch.

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  4. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Shame not to make use of Direct X12, would never suggest a new version of an OS until a time after launch, give 'em time to come up with fixes to inevitable bugs but in this instance, the promise of such huge graphical advantages with DX12 I would recommend dual booting. Saying that both my Dedi server and my Media server are running the recently released full version of Win 10 faultlessly (almost), some real nice touches like being able to play xbox one games on PC and vice versa with Xbox app, plus of course both users can play in same servers. Microsoft are promising up to 50% increase in framerate on older games and up to 30% with new ( we'll see), will also depend heavily on video drivers. Dual boot as I do on my main PC, RRE seems to run fine by the way as does everything else I've tried up to now, only hangup was having to create a custom resolution profile, took all of a minute.

5. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Well when it is released the end of the month I will dual boot it even though it is going to be a mission from hell trying to get all my stuff loaded.
    For now it will only be for R3E and maybe AC as that is the other decent game out there today for me.

Would it not be wonderful if the new OS could recognize all programs installed and just adopt them? That said, I read both OS's use NTFS and can access files from any boot. Do we need to re-instal things like steam, simxperience and whatever else we have?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If you have been using the Win10 insider programme then you should now have the full software installed, Ver 10240 as this is the signed off version that's out to press. All original s/ware will work after upgrade (in theory) but there will always be one or two programs from smaller companies that will give problems (always is). Dual boots the safest way, good for comparison also.
    It will not be fault free and as the hackers of the world get on it I'm sure there will be some tweaking via updates but have to say, early indications are very good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I think I'll do a full system back up...that way I can upgrade and revert if need be. I get very nervous at time a like these.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    So long as all the current games and NR2003, GTR2, Race 07, RBR, and TW2008 run on it, I'll be happy!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. searchkaine

searchkaine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On Win10 R3E doesn't start when nVidia Surround is enabled, latest Win build and drivers installed....

10. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Dave, you don't need to worry about the new OS (8.1 and 10)

You always can run a game in compatibility mode. As simple as that.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Win 10 is not very happy with overclocked components. I got System Service exception error until I defaulted everything and now it runs sweet. Couple things still dont have drivers so I am parking it till later.

Looks good though.

12. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Got some problems with win10 which MS is saying it is because it is not activated. The start menu, settings, store and IE stopped working.
    According to MS, I am suppose to follow the reservation process and upgrade from Win7 and that will activate win10.

What I would like to know is can I still use that creation tool and upgrade my win7? Will it activate now or do I still have to wait for them?

13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Honestly Nipzon I would wait until you got the reservation and do it then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    According to MS, following the the reservation process and upgrade from Win7 is the only way to obtain the free upgrade to Win10. Most probably because the upgrade programm determines if you are eligible to the free upgrade and moves the license from Win7 to Win10.

After you did so you can use a downloaded ISO to make a clean install if you wish. Else you don't have a valid license for Win10 and will not be able to activate it.

If you want Win10 for free, this is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Well I can now safely say that the option to force the download, found on several places, worked. Painfully but it worked. Before I knew it a small file was downloading which intialized the win10 download. It took awhile to download and straight after it was ready I tried to install but it came up with an error everytime.
    I rebooted and actually gave up when later I noticed it saying a download is available. It then did an installation prep and then the upgrade. After that all flawless and activated.

Sound drivers and grahics driver were replaced with newer files, either win10 or win 8.1 drivers, all working nicely.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got it running on my box. Raceroom works great. The Race 07 lobby has been down since July 29th. Since many others are having this problem, unless they are all running Windows 10, I don't think that is the problem, but so far, everything else works fine. I've got a decent spec machine that can't be considered high end and everything other than the Race 07 lobby is working great.

17. Hugh

Hugh Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Win 10 installed no problems bar no surround sound, Nvidia surround works with out issues..Raceroom runs slightly better than on win 7 for me, however I still think raceroom needs optimizing.

18. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Nice one, Did you go with the roll out or a clean install?

19. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I can totally recommend a clean install after the upgrade. Of all the advantages of a clean install, extra space on my SSD is a bonus.

20. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Oh, so do the upgrade then a clean install...??