Wormhole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Aug 18, 2015.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I have been having some strange races lately, all through practice and qualifying a number of drivers will be 4-5 seconds faster (soul destroying as I'm on the raggety edge) yet when it gets to the race they are all so slow their qualy times bely belief. Is there a hyperspace button not showing in my control settings or is this a case of there being shortcuts on certain parts of the track?
    Just watched a couple vids of the championship race last night and have to say if damage control was the slightest bit realistic not one car would have finished the race, fancy the next championship should be in sim mode rather than arcade. Shocking disregard for anyone else on track by a few and way, way too eager by the rest, shame, I thought these races would make good viewing but instead are just cringeworthy wreckfests.

2. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Don't know which championship race you were watching but It got a bit like that in TCone from mid pack back.

But yeah there seems to be some warping sometimes, sometimes more than 4 or 5 secs .. but it's just never been my turn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Ive seen the timewarping things from time to time and recently it even happened to myself in a race, suddently i hit a 1m 17s lap (cant remember track lol) when my previous best times were around 1m 23s, absolute top drivers were doing 1m 21s.
    So the "Timewarping" is most definately going on, im to uninformed to judge what causes it but one would think it has to be network related.
    Client - Server synchronization problem sounds reasonable to my very layman ears.

Also a thing thats been going on for quite a while now is some people's cars turn invisible during the race, this has happened to me multiple times and from the drivers perspective you can diagnose it like this: if the cars around you (close) have 0 ping, that means you are invisible and they cannot see you (you can still see them tho)
    Every time ive asked other drivers if I was invisible, the ones saying yes were the ones I had 0 ping to/from so it atleast seems to go hand in hand.

Perhaps this is what happened in the race you were watching, drivers seemingly driving rough or unfair, it might just be because they actually cant see the other car they are racing against.

Also the physics are affected by this "invisibility-0ping-in-p2p-mode-bug"; If i am invisible (im lagging/unsynced) and drive into another car, it is only my car that will bounce away from the impact, the opponent (not lagging/still synced) that im driving into will not be affected by my crash, he will not loose grip, literally nothing happens to his car.
    Pretty odd but this has happened many times to me from both perspectives and I know from the frequency of this problem that many people on this forum has experienced the same.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's happened to me once or twice, where i think i've finally learned to drive like an alien only to realize there was a bug or something on that lap, and back to the mid-rear pack i go.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mally B

Mally B Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    This has also happens to me a few times, it seemed to be when there was a lag whilst a new player joined qualifying. Once in WTCC it almost had me believing I was nearly 2 seconds faster than @Georg Ortner at Hockenheim