WTCC 2013 cars not realistic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benoityip, May 24, 2018.

1. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I never understand why WTCC2013 cars have really bad lift off oversteering compared to WTCC2014 cars

WTCC2014 cars are very easy to drive, and from my opinion, close to reality

I own a FWD Toyota corolla myself and I occasionally go for track day on semi-slicks. I do have lift off over steering if my coilover suspension is not set hard enough. Once I set to the hardest, the lift off over steering is reduced..

I have driven a race track with 160km/h in a corner in semi-slicks in my corolla, so I do remember the feeling

Driving a WTCC 2013 cars indicates to me the rear anti roll bar is too hard, and the suspension is too soft. After setting the rear anti-roll bar to nothing, and all the spring and bump/rebound are set to the hardest, the WTCC2013 car still have lift off oversteering. In a FWD car, without rear anti roll bar, it will be badly understeer

WTCC2014 cars matches what I expect in a FWD, it matches my Toyota Corolla handling characteristics (not power of coze)

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
  3. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for you link..

but I think it is all due to set up..

In the game, even I have no rear anti roll bar, the car is still nervous, in real life, it would be understeer for safety reason. It is the nature of FWD car,

I can share with you my real corolla set up, so you know what I mean
    Weight of the car: 1200kg excluding driver
    Frony/Rear weight balance: 60:40
    Front spring: 4kg
    Rear spring: 4kg
    Front / Rear Damper: In hardest, It is very uncomfortable to drive in street
    Front anti roll bar:: 23mm (Stock)
    Rear anti roll bar: 20mm (Stock has no rear anti roll bar so that the car understeer)
    Front Camber: -2.8
    Rear Camber: -1.6

I know my car is not a race car, but the nature should be the same. If there is no rear anti roll bar, the car will exhibit understeer. I never see any car in real life without rear anti roll bar oversteer

In FWD, to control whether the car is nervous or not, rear anti roll bar is the first place to look. It has much significant influence than spring/damper/camber. This is my real life experience

4. ata6

ata6 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A few years ago when I bought my Civic, I took it to the track. Found it understeer but in some corners oversteer too. Then I've try R3E WTCC 2013 and it was blast. These cars behaves very close to my real car. It was begining of my eperience in R3E.
    Driving WTCC 2014 with pleasure I found it to easy. So I can't agree with your opinion. IMO WTCC 2013 have very good physics. Setting these cars properly can eliminate part of lift off oversteer.