You might not be a Rookie if ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.Simonds, Jan 23, 2021.

1. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ..... you run all 15 minutes of BrandsHatch Indy in the Rookies race at lap record times.

..... P1 posted mid 50.6's the whole race... supposedly the points system should take care of that situation, and one would think someone with 2800 laps wouldn't be in rookies doing the seal clubbing thing... ;)

Oh well....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Scotty G

Scotty G Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You are lapping in the top 10 (leaderboard) for an entire race? Thats crazy. My tires are gone by the 12 minute mark, then its a fight to the checkered

3. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

LOL.. not me... I sucked.. ate gravel.. etc .. no this was the guy who won... :)

my best lap is 52.5...but I avg more like 54 on laps I don't screw up on..

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Nature of the beast because this isn't a strict matchmaking service. Why not take the opportunity to watch and learn what the person is doing, thereby improving your own knowledge and skill? You learn almost nothing from people of the same or lower ability as you... you learn from those who are better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Scotty G

Scotty G Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You could argue that you could learn safe passing techniques of slower cars (trying to race on their line), that could translate into passing in multi class races. Also it gives you the experience of driving patiently, looking for opportunity and passing when safe.
    Racing with aliens gives you faster lap times, but I see a lot more rear ending because the shower racers aren't used to the entry speed being the same, but drafting has put them 20kmh faster. There are merits to both I think.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    There is a simple way to fix this by putting a maximum points rating (not reputation) on the server. Let´s say 1800 points or something like that but on the other hand, the servers aren´t exactly overflowing with players so it is the risk of having half empty grids.

As mentioned before, real rookies will learn more from following a fast guy than hours on their own. Once you have control of the car then it is all about the fastest line and the best corner entry and exit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That's why I'd be against full restrictions. Sim racing in niche enough already without splitting the community further. It would also prevent experienced racers from actively helping the less experienced, should they be so inclined.

Instead, perhaps a system of diminishing returns could work? In other words, the higher your ranking the less you gain from entering races of lower level, with the rookie races being worth zero to people of XX points.

(Note that I haven't taken part in the ranked races at all, so I don't really know how the current system works.)

• Like Like x 2
  8. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Did I say I wasn't? Did I say he was cheating? Did I say that he didn;t have skillz.. did I admit I have no skillz?

:)

9. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    That is how the system does work

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    No....you were just complaining about fast guys racing in rookie class and seal clubbing the slow ones. ;)

Ranked servers are fairly new and a WIP, which will hopefully be improved on.
    I'm hoping they do a iracing style for ranked.
    Set cars seasons of a few weeks long with stat tracking and announced schedule so you know what content you need.
    More classes lower power cars for rookie and higher power for higher classes.
    Use skill points and rep to determine class restrictions
    Fixed and open setups servers...though going by what I've seen in iracing fixed setups are far more populated than open.

ATM the ranked servers really have no meaningful purpose....2 rookie servers which if you have a few clean races it opens up 3 more servers using random combos that change each week.
    So ya atm your gonna find alot of fast guys running in the rookie classes.
    Personally, the Audi TT and BMW are some of my favorite cars in the service and love the fact that I can jump in race others :)

Does anyone know if the Devs have released any info on what they plan to do for the Ranked servers?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty much how it already works, you only collect ranking points by beating drivers better than you, so for example a 2000 driver in a rookie server who beats everyone else who is 1500 will gain minimal points, probably not even worth the risk of being taken out. However since there isn't any matchmaking there is no reason that a 1700 driver may not encounter an 1800 driver this making the race worthwhile, also some people just like to race regardless of the points on offer. If we had 1k racers active on the servers it would be easy, but we are still struggling for numbers (relatively speaking)

• Like Like x 3
  12. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    likewise, i go where the car / track is not what the server is. And trust me you can lose more points in a NON rookie server. Just because it is above Rookie doesn't mean it's any better. Sometimes maybe they should focus on the rating rather than reputation

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    That's why I like racing. One guy doing that in an online shooter ruins the game for everyone. In racing, this guy drives off into the sunset and all the others have their race as if he's not even there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1