The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I just took your post to "rant" a bit.
    Don't take it personally. I used "you" here in a more broad sense of the word.

Common mistake. It is indeed confusing for non native speakers (like me as well)

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    That's the same shit of reply that I think @JyriK was obsessed of during the release-Phase of pc1. Based on what prior performance was that update major?! Maybe you are right but we can't prove. To overexpose it a bit - when it was 1fps before and now it is 2fps it is an increasment of 100% and that is a number I would call major, too...
    Pc1 was overly hyped before the release, by some wmd-members. Everything was great shiny and awesome. Same stories where written in wmd-forum... but it couldn't fullfill the expectations - especially when it was published. Now I read the same crap again - any wonders that some became sceptical?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I understand what your're saying but your tone and wording are unnecessary.

Not that you deserve an answer in these terms but I'll just say it's more than 1FPS improvement and major LOD changes and lighting were in recently (in that particular build that obviously can't prove anything. It was just maybe bad phrasing with the opportunity to get the video in here).

Feel free to ask anything else when you adjust the above. Until then, it'll be my last answer to you.

4. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    That's (in bold) the reason why I'm going to withstand the temptation of buying pCars 2.

PCars has never lived up to its self-made or self-propagandised expectations IMO.
    It was hyped as the one SIMULATION that has it all.

I hope pCars 2 will put me right but I doubt it. PCars 1 was - regarding it as a simulation, not as a game - a total letdown for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Let me add a disclaimer here.

I hope I don't have to detail every comment with a detail example in order to avoid being completely misunderstood. If in doubt, just ask (nicely ;) ).

6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Is there really no beta signup and no way to get in on this action before September 22? Maybe someone wants to sell his beta? ;) 3 long months... :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Nah sorry, it's my precious treasure and the steam key is linked to my WMD account. So you would need my WMD account details to log into the game.

8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Even if it wasn't, it's in the "contract" you can't sell it.

9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    In the meantime, I have had lots of fun again on Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans).
    Those sunsets are simply brilliant, in fact all weather and time of day is.
    The "Le Mans" tracks (if they even have it) in my other sims are not even close...sadly...
    Only "downside" is that IRL this year the cars were much faster than the ones we currently have at our disposal.

10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    So perhaps pc2 is becoming something special simply because the WMD team learnt many hard lessons from pc1 and now this knowledge is being translated into a driving and racing simulation that is actually much more than just very good.

The die hard haters will find it hard to swallow their pride when or if they ever do try this out, so sad but too bad for them ! :D Though actually they will secretly enjoy it behind closed doors without admitting. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Die hard haters will hate. I mean, I can't get myself around the renting from iR. It pisses me off :D
    But it's not the same kind of hate though.
    There's no place for die hard anything (not just simracing) in this world. Nothing good ever comes from it.
    You can actually hear SMS interviews. They don't deny the criticism and at the very beginning of pC2 development some key areas were already preempted as "MUST FIX" as they're real dela-breakers. Gamepad handling was one, but there were others.
    So it's not that they have learned. They just ran out of time for so much that was new and revolutionising in pC1. Let me just give one quick example. Any modder can take the old BTM tyre model and improve on it. More, new games can still be improved upon (Automobilista). There are years of history on it. But it's not the case with STM in pC1... So in a way, it was awesome but on the other hand is what we all know and still read about it.

Fortunately, things can be changed and improved :) Not all we want may be in still though. There will always be something we want ( like 24h in r3e, ac and even iR!) but... slowly but surely, they'll all get there eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Whats wrong with die hard?
    Die+hard_3afc71_4977112.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's important to be ambitious, so hoping that pcars2 will make a lot of people happy. SMS dared to make a difference with high production value, and compared to the big players like Forza or Gran Turismo, they are still tiny. So all props to them for pushing themselves and their product forward.

The hype/disappointments etc. just comes along with those kind of productions. Their growth is positive imo. No matter where the game ends up at the end. I hope to enjoy it, if not, not gonna blame anyone.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    As the topic is pC2 rather than the now ancient pc1 original, I wanted to say that a huge update of 13gb just came down so I plan to spend next day or so testing & racing in vr as it has been over 3 weeks since I was last immersed. Expecting many improvements based on latest info via wmd pc2 forums. Very exciting ! :cool:

@JyriK - do you dislike that you may actually discover pC2 really is incredible ? LoL :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I downloaded the update but fell asleep. Now i have no more time to test it :-(

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Nope, I disliked your attitude.

17. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is going to be a good game for those who prefer eye candy.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    LoL :) very funny you obviously have much to learn then. My "attitude" is simply that I already know pC2 is vastly improved from pC1 from my own extensive testing and have grown weary of the whiners that just refuse to let go of the past. But of course to each their own and misery is a choice. Have Fun ! :p

19. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly the attitude I mean. Every skeptic is labeled as "whiner" or something worse. Patronising as hell.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Yes, sure, looks are important, it is 2017 after all.
    And while Inside Sim Racing confirmed the physics and FFB being very good (let's wait until the game rolls out), it could very well be(come) the best simulation available.

And for those who also like that it has:

- Le Mans (to name just one of the many tracks included)
    - endurance races
    - more than one LMP car
    - mixed fields
    - several added car brands (Porsche and Ferrari to name some)
    - day/night progression
    - proper working headlights,
    - rain, storm, thunder, lightning, standing water on track, aqua planing ... (BTW: intermediates are indeed useless because the implemented rain is either too little ot too much to use this compound. This has been altered for pCars 2. On the other hand, pCars does offer the choice between compounds and (working) tire pressure (and working tire wear for that matter), which is not exactly "eye candy" but rather a MUST have,
    - adjustable brake ducts that really work as intended,
    - adjustable radiators that really work as intended,
    - wind (can't yet tell you if it will work properly, unlike the recently added wind in AC, which does not),
    - correctly vibrating (not just a placebo) car parts,
    - API sending out ALL needed info for added screens (phones/pads) to keep the screen free of clutter,
    - a proper career mode for single player
    - possibility to play offline
    - proper triple screen support
    - adjustable seat pitch control (along with front/rear and up/down)
    - looking up/down in cockpit view
    - fastest lap data per car/track (at least that was in the works)

......and I can go on like this for a while.

Now you can sweep all this under the carpet if it makes you feel good, but that does not alter the fact that pCars 2 will simulate more than any other simulation/game, while looking stunning on top of that...:p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1