The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how many PC sim racers will get fooled again.

This thread seems to be well infected.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Fooled?.... In terms of......?

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I see it again, PC2, on Steam sales for 5 Euros in three years or so. :D LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    They won't fool me.
    Seduce me with graphics, sounds, and content - definitely.

But I pretty much know what I will be getting.
    (Yes, I even expect bugs.)

This will have 'stuff' that other games don't, and will be missing 'stuff' that other games have. No game can have it all, but I can have all the games.
    :):):)

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Best describes PC1 imho, a game, I expect little else from the next incarnation, a company with more graphics artists than coders I feel. Tiz surely looking at the 10+ age group as its core user base, 15 mins on the family TV impressing Granny on Boxing Day.
    Litter is my best shot at a description, amazing what drivel good marketers can flog with a TV advert and the right exposure, then politicians have been doing it since the Greeks invented democracy!
    Don't get me started..........................................................................................................

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm very old, very serious, very awesome, love "realistic", have done many real-life track days (but am too poor to race), and I liked PCars1 for all it's flaws, and I'm very much looking forward to PCars2 and expect it to be good. I really don't understand all the bad vibes about it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    guess it'
    Guess it's the all-you-can-eat policy nowadays, promoting a "unique" game experience with new awesome features and such : they know how to spice it, they know how to serve it on a silver plate and never fail to add yummy toppings/eyecandy -but in the end it still tastes half-cooked...(see Dirt4 discussions for example).
    But it also may lie in the nature of things itself - there might be not much space left for some real mindblowing innovations anymore but still enough money to make it look bright and shiny....(like with CGI pumped Hollywood Blockbusters).

I appreciate Sector 3's approach there: Humble but relatively slow :)

8. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I remember club races at RD very well. The game was buggy as hell. Then there was a myriad of problems with tyres etc. Very bad vibes.

Now if PC2 turns out to be good from sim POV, good for them. I might even pick it up later then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree completely (and I am probably much older, still doing track days, only could afford three years racing 125 shifter karts and a few autoX endurance races.
    In that contect I could start saying that the kart physics are not right.
    But:
    pCars simulates more (and sometimes better) than any other 'sim'.
    The bad vibes originate from people who just go by 'hear say', having issues with Ian Bell, or are to lazy to get all the setups right.
    Bad FFB ? bull.... FFB is just as good as any other sim (be it far too difficult and time consuming to get it right - which BTW has changed for pCars2: some tweaks but also simplified settings, together with the original ones for people who are willing to invest some time).
    Bad physics ? Maybe not ideal in pCars1 (see above), but have any of the pCars haters ever raced or driven a car on track ? The physics were not too bad but they got an overhaul for pCars2.
    Bad AI ? bull.... they are somewhat aggressive in open wheelers and the have a bad habit of cutting track to pass if you block them.
    But I never had them brake check, like in other racing games... they also fight back like real racers would.
    Bugs ? probably. I had a few bad ones when I started pCars on PS4 (around 1200 hrs), but after a few months the ones I suffered from where gone. I switched to PC (only single player) and on this platform (about 900 hrs atm) I had one issue that could have been a bug, though I did not manage to reproduce it. My car flipped in the last corner of Bannochbrae when I tried to overtake AI at the inside. I may have even cut a little bit, but anyway, I tried several times to make it happen again, to no avail.

There were some more points I found that needed changes, but as it turns out, all of them have been taken care of.
    So yes, I am also looking forward to pCars2.

I do invest time in sim racing, over 2000 hours/one and a half year spread over AC, pCars, R3E, RF2 and AMS. All have their good and bad points, missing features, none of them is ideal. The worst one for me is AC, but I'm not saying it is bad either.

Reading narrow minded disparaging comments like the one from @GooseCreature (#545) makes me feel sad. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I'm in that age range!

Project cars is the reason I race online today!
    Ok, that sounds pretty unlikely, I know. Let me clarify....

I have been racing a long time. No, a really long time.
    When I got AC, I thought, this is gonna be my game of choice for a long time. Then an Everquest friend of mine, Art, talked me into getting Pcars.

The championship mode was horrible -I hated the calendar based format. The Tweets were cool though - very affirming :)
    The graphics were (and despite a lot of PC upgrades) choppy, and still are.

Art started UKCD (UK Clean Drivers) and for a year a group of us hammered Pcars into submission, GT3s, meganes, open wheelers, go-karts, the lot. It was not without problems, but it was a lot of fun.
    Online racing had us hooked.

We tried iRacing, but kinda drifted apart..... (the whole group)
    It requires a different mind set, and unless privately hosting, for all racers to be of a similar skill level to be in the same races.
    It is a different kind of fun.

RaceRoom is the middle ground for me. Lots of tracks and cars, AI for the fun quotient, and a group that I can join for online races (although not to the same degree as before.)
    Pcars2 will hopefully be similar. More console oriented probably. I can live with that. Maybe even more "arcadey". I can live with that. "Arcadey" means I can sit down and pretend I am great at disciplines I wouldn't normally go near (ice racing, dirt racing, skittles (er, sorry, that's Flatout.))

Then I can come back here for more serious racing, AI or online.

Wow - don't I waffle?

Edit : not as much as Fanapryde, apparently :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I have a problem with this attitude which negates all the valid criticism of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Pretty similar here, except I prefer AC to RF2. I couldn't tell you why, I just do.
    Isn't choice a wondrous thing?

13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    A lot of the criticism is valid. I have 400+ hours in the game, and still have a love/hate relationship with it.

A lot of the valid criticism was also constructive, so I am hoping that PCars2 will have addressed the issues rather than just giving it a face lift and extra content.

What I don't understand is people who only want to flame Pcars/Pcars2/anything that isn't their favourite game/anything that might be even remotely "arcade".

OK, I think I understand the last one. Grown men (as most of us are) really shouldn't still be playing arcade games. But [XXXXXXX] is not a game, it's a SIM! so that's OK.

iRacers are really fun to wind up when you call it a game :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Hey buster my comments are through personal experience, for me the GAME sucked, so would you rather I glossed over the crap and said it looked pretty so go buy it?
    Over hyped Tatt IMHO, which I have every right to express, I will spend a considerable time setting up FFB and the like but no matter what I tried, it felt bloody awful as did the whole experience, so I dumped it.
    As stated above the hype for Dirt4 was of a similar ilk and yet again lacking, again from personal experience and again IMHO.
    I'm not saying these games are unplayable or indeed lack in enjoyment (to a degree) but for me neither are Sims, both are games and that is not what I am looking for.
    I have enjoyed Rallycross in Dirt4 very muchly, as I stated on this very forum but for me the rest is a step backwards from Dirt Rally.
    Is that ok to say that or is that bang out of order IYFO?

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    The term "arcade" is thrown around very lightly and eagerly in this community. It's as if people need to prove to themselves and others all the time that they are the elite and frown upon anything that isn't super hard to drive.

The thing is, there are various aspects of a simulation that are vastly ignored. Today I opened the PRC tab in my browser, eager to see what 2 bit drama is worth spurting about this morning and I was surprised to find this. I was actually surprised they mentioned flight sims, but they are more then correct in this aspect. In Falcon for example you might find that supply on your side is short in the campaign and you can forget any beyond visual range engagements, since all the ground crew can attach to your bird is some outdated heaters. Or maybe for the same reason you will be faced with an impossible task of doing SEAD strikes with cluster bombs. Some IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad servers have limited planes and loadouts - your team will hardly have any kind words for you, if you crash the last Peshka on take-off. Then there is A2A addons for FSX, when you have to remember to pump air into the tires every now and then or change the oil or spark plugs in your Cessna - it all affects how the plane will perform. Modern day flight sims suffer from the same feature atrophy, racing sims do, but it's more on the content amount side rather than anything else. God have mercy on a flight sim developer who would announce there isn't going to be dynamic weather, time of day, temperatures or yearly seasons, because the customer base would tear them a new one.

As far as car games go, I think only Gran Turismo 4 made you care about your car with oil changes and whatnot and Grid did as well to some extent since you had the option to wash that dirty piece of junk. I also loved NFS Pro Street for the simple fact that it incentivised clean driving by having you pay for repairs and if you totalled your ride, you could forget in taking part in some races during the weekend unless you had a backup one.

Meanwhile, in simracing world, it's all about tires and FFB, God forbid anyone implements managing a racing team from a financial aspect or having to conserve resources and adapt to the changing conditions.

I really have high hopes with Project CARS 2 - they seem to have a big enough team and budget to be able to go outside the "handling box" and add an actual game to the tire simulation software and how it makes use of an expensive toy controller.

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have no issues with this post. You have your opinion, I have mine, someone else has probably another.
    But your previous post was really low level, hence my tagging.
    I first thought you were just trolling, since I never expected a post like that coming from you, which is why I hit the disagree button...

pCars had flaws, I mentioned one of them in my post, but so does every other sim/game...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Reiza looks like shit but drives exceptionally well, PCars looks amazing but drives like shit, I prefer the former and will leave it at that.

18. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    That's the annoying thing, isn't it? I tried Forza Apex the other day in anticipation to Forza 7 coming to PC, and it too looks amazing but drives like shit.
    Dirt 4's rallycross and Landrush look amazing but have shit AI.
    I was into Nascar some time back. Nascar Heat Evolution looks like shit but has surprisingly great AI and gameplay, Nascar 15 looks great but has shit AI and gameplay.

Seems developers cant be bothered or have the resources to do both visuals and core gameplay right. Only Raceroom has a good mix of the two. I'm all hope PCars 2 can change that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I think you're just wrong. You can have graphics and physics... And then some. Actually way more than just some.
    You'll see and try I'm sure, for yourself.

20. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Amen. Which game are you talking about? PCars 2?