The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    My Track IR is not working with PC1. Any infos about Track IR and PC2?

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    My Edtracker works perfectly fine with pcars2. I don't even need opentrack software like for R3E. And Edtracker is just a cheap alternative for track IR but with only 3DOF (enough for me until I have VR)

And when I think of it there are actually some people playing PC2 with trackIR

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i would say... there is plenty room for improvement (shifting gears, coasting, accelerating, engine noise)... when you change from pc2 to r3e you realize how brutal, great and most of the time spot on R3E sounds are. PC2 has to catch up but I'm not so much worried about it because they give us audio updates every day.
    But in car "noises" sound like rattling, suspension etc I see PC2 ahead at the moment. the noise that's coming from debris, gravel, suspension etc don't sound scripted. It sounds like there's actually gravel hitting the car or the suspension is actually making the noise while it's compressing etc (what it actually is on the other hand, because it's simulated).. it never sounds the same, at least that's what my mind tells me. Also the different tire squeals depending on angle, force, track wetness, tire wear, tire compound etc... tire squeals are usually annyoing but like in R3E I don't mind them in PC2. Gran Turismo, Forza, Assetto Corsa tire squeals are painful ^^

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Apart from the in-cockpit car noise, I feel pCars1 was already very good. Ambient sounds, gravel, birds, cows, sheep, thunderstorms... etc...and not forgetting raindrops on the tin tops: just amazing.
    Now if they can crank up the cars sounds, that would be really nice... That was a bit limping behind.

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Everything about PCars 2 is going to suck. The graphics are actually being reduced to run on lower spec machines (I heard mention of an 8080 processor...) The UI interface is being modelled on the "dial-menu" of R3E from a few years back, their website is being run by the same people as bought us triple posting on iRacing.
    The physics has been designed by the author of Flubber, and the AI coded by David Jones and Simon Cooke, the team responsible for this Amiga classic :

[​IMG]

And the musical score is being supplied by Little Mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ^ 100% Verified True Story. I think the engine sounds in pC2 currently depends on what car as I drove the Caterham SP300R yesterday and it sounds phenomenal. As much as I love R3E engine noise the updated ones sound more natural with some really punchy throaty sounds like a rabid dog wanting to kill you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear that, I love Caterhams.
    The ones in AMS offer the choice between right hand drive and left hand drive. I guess pCars2 does not have that possibility ? Would come in handy, though it is not a game breaker...:rolleyes:

8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    No you wont be able to choose the side of the wheel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I am well aware it is WIP at the moment but I still prefer the sounds in R3E over Pcars 2. Not that Pcars 2 sounds are bad, in fact they are better than a lot of the competition as the engine sound do have the the raw grunt or grawl that you hear when you are at the track side of a racing event. There are some subtle stuff they did better too like some of their sound samples is almost exactly the same from what I hear in real life on the track side. I still love their SLS GT3 and AMG GT3 samples because it is the exact sample from the real car.

However, I still enjoy R3E's sound more because the more natural rattling and suspension sound. Then, there are certain sound samples like the sound of the X-17, DTMs, group 5s or the WTCCs that sounds incredible for me.

Still, I think Pcars 2 is shaping up very well compared to Pcars 1 before release. It is a lot more polished, the UI is better, the physics is improved over pcars 1(to the point I uninstalled Pcars 1 because I know I'll never return to Pcars 1 after 2) and the content is far more diverse and richer.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Strange, i was thinking how bad and bangless the amg gt3 and SLS gt3 sound compared to R3E. Because SLS sound in raceroom is absolutely spot on.
    And in my opinion the rattling and suspension sounds sound more natural in pcars2.

11. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Man that VR looks impressive. Hopefully it can be run on relatively high power PC's and not some super computer. I agree with everything that has been said on the sounds. Vastly improved and the suspension, gravel, squeaks all sound good but the car sounds are a little flat to me. Better than AC, but not R3E worthy.

13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That 911 GT3R does sound better than the one in AC (even while Youtube only sends stereo).
    Also don't forget this is 'only' the in-cockpit sound (probably muffled to mimic the sound with helmet on). Seems fine to me.

14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, virtually no draw distance cuz of the fog plus no other car on track. But let's hope they manage to get it well optimised even without a white wall.

But sorry, that driving doesn't make me too optimistic about the physics. If you can drive around the Nordschleife like that in the pouring rain, sth's not right. Full throttle over the crest at Quiddelbacher Höhe?
    The guy does a 7:01. The 918 Spyder with its 887 bhp only just manages to go below 7 minutes, and that's in the dry and with Walter Röhrl or Marc Lieb behind the wheel.
    This is what a lap in a Porsche GT3, with Röhrl behind the wheel, looks like in the wet:

This is what can happen in the Eiskurve when it's midly wet and you're barely touching the throttle while going what looks like 80 kph (yes, I know it's an old car, no race tyres etc., but still):

So unless that was driven in some sort of amateur mode, I'm not looking forward to this a lot.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    To put sth in perspectiive (I'm comparing to pCars 1) that is not exactly pouring rain, but a combination of mist and light rain. And it does not rain all the time either. There is some standing water though.
    And yes, maybe the driver is using assists...

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I assure you that driving in rain is very hard in pcars2 like you would expect. In this particular video the visuals don't really match the livetrack data. It looks too wet but in "reality" it isn't. Of course this was discussed in the WMD portal and it was fixed in one of the last builds. in light rain the water will drain and vaporize alot more so that it's very grippy with wet tires. But when it's heavy raining you'll have problems with wet tires, you'll need tires for extreme wetness then. But your laptimes drop significantly.
    In the shown VR video it's light rain but not all the time. In one part it's more rain. Since there are rain clouds you don't necessarily have all the track in rain and at tracks like Nordschleife it's very noticeable. Kesselchen can by soaking wet while Doettinger Höhe can be dry (yes, in the game pcars2).

And why comparing a "street car" like the 918 spyder or 911 GT3 with the 911 GT3 R which is a race car (GT3)?

And every sim has unrealistic world record lap times.. just look at the R3E leaderboards. Even I manage a 6:42 on Nordschleife in the McLaren 650S GT3 in R3E, and it's not a 918 spyder and I'm not Walter Röhrl... so 7:01 isn't far off with light rain. A believable scenario if you ask me.

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Could you guys point me to a second in that vid where there's no raindrops hitting the windscreen? Cause I seem to be missing sth.

Because usually race cars don't drive the Norschleife layout, so there's not much reference footage and/or data to compare against. Also, because it is faster than even the fastest recorded race car spec laps around Nords:
    Unbenannt.JPG
    And even when looking at the SP9 class, the fastest Porsche 911 GT3 R lap to date around the VLN layout was the one Siedler drove in 2013:
    Unbenannt.JPG
    We can't really compare times here, but average speeds. Siedler did 181 on average. Looking at the list you can see all those fastest times are around 180 kph average speed per lap. And we have to factor in the GP layout, which allows for faster cornering than Nords and will raise that average a little, but doesn't really matter.
    And remember, all of those are best laps in the dry.
    Now what did our friend above average in the what-*looks*-to-be-quite wet? 178.

I didn't post this vid cause the track in this is actually midly wet, and partly dry even, i.e. it doesn't look nearly as wet as in that vid above. Also because it's the 24h layout. But just look at how careful they have to be even when it's just a little wet and not even actually raining for the most parts.

Her average? 155.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I initially watched the vid on my iPad, now I did it again on my Mac.
    You are right, it is raining the whole time, but there is some variety in intensity. Can't look fully concentrated all the time, because I feel nausea coming up LOL.
    I did notice the guy hitting a puddle of water with a hint of aquaplaning though (2:58 I think). That looks promising.
    Must also say that the raindrops look better now than in pCars1 (one shitstorm averted...) :D

I agree with @sbtm about the lap times. There will always be unrealistic times in sims. There are so many factors:
    - tracks not 100% the same
    - tires in game possibly better (newer) than the ones used IRL
    - unlimited training time
    - no other cars on track
    - no fear of crashing, no G-Forces, reset button...
    - being able to drive with minimum fuel
    - maybe some aids used ?

Anyway: rain racing in pCars1 felt pretty "normal", at least with rain tires, because the intermediates were either bad, or the track conditions were never good to use them. My guess is that the rain driving in pCars2 will be at least as good.
    I'm not testing pCars2, so I have no idea if this video is even a criterion to the final product.

19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely. I'm not trying to argue or offend anyone, and I'm not saying that RR or any other game/sim is way better in that regard. but the philosophy should never be like "all the others do it wrong, so it's ok to do it wrong too". Matter of fact I'm one of not many internally saying we should make certain aspects of RR harder, just more difficult to control all around, cause from some very very little time in some race spec cars I've learned one thing, and that is that they are insanely difficult to drive at or even close to the edge.
    So if you go and add sth like rain to the equation, times like that one shouldn't really be possible. I know that's just my pov and that the devs always have to strike a balance between realistic physics and playability (driveability), and to make it worse with all sorts of input devices. It's really hard to get that even remotely right, I know that.

But like I said, a time close to 7 minutes on a fairly wet Nordschleife just doesn't feel right, and it looks and sounds even weirder when I see sb taking passages with (full) throttle that you would never never ever be able to drive like that irl when it's wet.
    Let's hope sbtm is right and the final, unassisted rain driving will be harder than it looks in that vid.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty confident, going by my experience in pCars1 rain races.