Possibility to make Raceroom more popular!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zackmchack, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Most probably. So, if you want that in RR, you might want to pay iRacing prices as well... ;-)

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Or ACC or GT Sport prices. They allow you to make your own liveries, for Audis too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Please tone down your language.

Regarding the Audi HB livery: We're working closely with all the manufacturers present in the game and respect their guidelines. The Audi 90 quattro IMSA-GTO never actually drove in that livery back in the day, or any of the other ones that have been put on it subsequently. After all Audi only took part in the '89 season. Hence we cannot have those liveries.

The big problem with modding is that the game's data files would have to be unencrypted, which would open the door for content thieves and cheaters.

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    But not for a Audi 90 GTO. Maybe you missed this point, but it is a special department at Audi that holds and maintains the license for this classic car. I forgot the name, but they also sell merchandise and stuff. I highly doubt that J-F was plain lying at me about this. ;)

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    A lot of manufacturers have a special depertament for there old race cars , so its a two fold thing approval from the manufacturerfor the licence then again for how its modelled and skinned by the retro departement ..

This can take forever

Andi

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    But this part of discussion started with a broader topic - user liveries in general. We can't disregard it based only on how strict the rules are for classic cars: as we see in other games, it's possible to have user liveries for modern cars without a manufacturers' approval of each one or players paying iRacing-level money.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Each game has its own contract with its licensors about what it can and can't do. Just because x sim has something doesn't automatically mean that y sim can have it, or even that the makers would want it. While I appreciate good custom liveries there are also plenty of awful ones, having complete control of all content in the game has its merits. Unless we hear otherwise it's safe to say that custom liveries just aren't going to be a thing here.

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I realise it's likely not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in learning the details. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  9. Mid Night

Mid Night Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    @ravey1981:
    Just out of pure curiosity: do you have to get the agreement of every little sponsor within the livery or is it enough to get the agreement of the Racing Team?
    Also, what depends on what Livery is going into Raceroom, do you need a go from the racing series / Manufacturer?

I'm a Livery designer for Racing Teams in reallife and also skinned cars in many games, so it's really interesting for me.

Thank you

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    AMS 2 and Project Cars allow custom liveries and the Audi GTO is in that game so it is possible. Perhaps if they are end user created the manufacturer doesn´t care or likely doesn´t know.

I just wish they had the same flexibility with saving and modifying the camera angles.

11. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Mid Night There was an instance a couple of years back where a manufacturer was "awkward" over a decals positioning. Ironically, the decal was so small it was very difficult to see.

12. Slackest of Pandas

Slackest of Pandas New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mods and Skins aren't going to make raceroom more popular.

Assetto Corsa is the number 1 mod platform of choice and has been for years, no one is going to abandon that platform for Raceroom this late in the day, especially given the frankly amazing state that AC is now in thanks to the Sol and CSP mods.

Things that may make Raceroom more popular:

- Sizeable visual upgrade, looks like a souped up Race 07 in its current state
    - Dynamic track
    - Dynamic weather
    - 24 hour day/night cycle

All big features that will no doubt take an awful lot of work to implement.

However with these features more people will start to pay attention to it most likely resulting in more people streaming it or dedicating YouTube content to it. At the moment its perhaps unfairly not taken that seriously amongst hardcore simmers in the same way iRacing, ACC etc are.

Trading Paints is a free third party program with user created paints. Its not an iRacing product. Anyone can create a paint and upload to it, its chock full of unlicensed skins.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  13. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I don’t know how someone tell game looks like a souped up race 07. then there are some settings wrong on his end.
    Game looks very fantastic here. Shaders are on point, not too much colors as in other sims.

Most people who are driving in their leagues don’t count on Night or rain racing. But the casual racers do, that’s right.

14. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Your idea of fantastic is not my idea of fantastic.

I personally think a "souped up Race 07" is an accurate description as whilst it does look better it certainly doesn't look like a new engine relative to Race 07.

The car interiors are ugly/low resolution and the lighting is poor (lighting plays a HUGE part in how dated a game looks, hence why Raceroom and iRacing are visually underwhelming). The visuals are more than good enough to not have a detrimental effect on the gameplay but they are without question dated relative to modern standards.

Just compare it to ACC or even Assetto Corsa with CSP/SOL installed, its a big difference.

I understand your preference for less colourful/saturated graphics but that is more about artistic license than a technical limitaiton and its something which can be adjusted to taste in any game via third party apps or something like Nvidia Filters.

15. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but all those fancy GFx comes at a cost. I now have all bell’s and whistles on max at a res of 7800*1440. ACC I can barely run on a single screen in 1440p.
    I’m a GFX guy and really love awesome looking game engines but game smoothness is much more worth. That said, R3E does not look that bad at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree, especially about ACCs performance. I value physics, FFB and performance above visuals when playing a sim but when trying to pull in new customers (which is what this thread is about) graphics play a large role in first impressions and Raceroom just looks dated relative to the competition. If you show someone new to sim racing a video of ACC and Raceroom its pretty obvious what one is more likely to peak their attention.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, can’t see a big difference when in a close battle.
    As I’ve said, in my opinion it doesn’t look that bad. And I have all other sims here, too. So I got a deeper look at it. Yes, AC looks good with sol, ACC looks like a pain to me. No good AA possible. Rfactor looks sometimes good and mostly complete weird. AMS2 has same AA problems. Iracing has a clean look, too.

Where Raceroom doesn’t look good is at the grass around the tracks. That’s right. But this isn’t in my view on the race. The tracks look good, the cars fantastic compared to others. The LOD bias at ACC ruins it to me.

If you want to see good Raceroom graphics, drive in sunset with time multiplication on. It’s not that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough, the difference in the quality of lighting is pretty obvious to me but we all see things differently I guess.

I don't think it looks that bad either, but it definitely looks dated. Also the only way to get top quality anti aliasing in Raceroom is to force 4x sparse grade supersampling which absolutely tanks performance... the default AA in raceroom results in lots of shadow flickering etc... that said at least you have the option to do this, ACC as you go on to mention leaves you stuck with substandard AA.

Make sure to check out CSP, that's the thing that really takes it to the next level in terms of visuals... specifically the "extra FX" settings.

Yes the AA is poor in ACC in certain lighting conditions, same goes for AMS2 as you mentioned... I tend to play those games in overcast or night conditions as that nullifies the jaggies somewhat. Rfactor is massively inconsistent as you mention although the newer tracks are all of a high standard.

iRacing looks dated but does indeed have a very clean look to it thanks to it using an older engine which allows you to force SSAA into it, similar to Raceroom and SGSSAA only with less of a performance hit.

You can turn the LOD settings off cant you ? Not played it in a while but I seem to remember there being LOD settings somewhere.

19. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yes, maybe Audi makes a difference between official liveries that come with the game and user created liveries. When you look at the Audi liveries in Project CARS 2, there are also only real life liveries available for their motorsports cars (at 3:20):

Many cars from other manufacturers feature a lot of fictional liveries there.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    How do I setup SGSS? I can't find it in nVidia control panel. Is nVidia Inspector the only way to do it?

I tried various AA settings a while back, including SSAA and MFAA and couldn't really notice any difference, so I settled with 8x MSAA and increased sharpness. Looks good (no hard edges, but textures look sharp and detailed) and no issues with performance.