The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    One more thing: Sounds are really important to me (perhaps more than they should) , and from the videos I've noticed that AC keeps on sucking on that very department.

2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Strange, you disagree, not even tried one car!:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    You started first. ;)

One thing you cannot argue with: AC is dirt cheap.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Wonna play tit for tat? Not my style. you win!

5. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Have you anything worthwhile to contribute on this subject?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Might be only me but I think the game was optimized quite a bit, at least that is my impression after runnin' around some tracks on my crappy pc.
    About Porsche dlcs, idk yet as I don't put to much time into AC. Not contesting the physics and the look of the game, but for God sake, so sterile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I think you mentioned the bottom line. I could cope with poor sounds and mediocre physics (no probs with excellent looks of course) if it felt.... not so sterile.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Well, I started Assetto an Raceroom both in early 2014.
    Right now I spent about 650 hrs in each of them. I disagreed your common statement:
    I cannot aprove here. I see AC an RR as well on a high level with advantages and disadvantages on both sides, mentioned often enough. But the experience of driving a car with all its feedback in AC is neither sterile nor simple.
    That's my opinion and you are free to disagree, the same I did on your post. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  9. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    So is it a hardware issue? I'm driving with T300.

During the Early Acces period of AC I had G27, and it felt really good for a time, but then something changed for the worse (not the wheel, mind)...

10. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    When I say about AC being sterile I'm not talking about physics, nor the look of it but more of the absence of a soul, a joy I should experience when playing it. So it is something subjective. As I see AC for now is a car simulator, nothing more, nothing less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    For the record, I've tried every app and method to improve the FFB, even LUT-generator which makes T300 feel like poop.

12. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    In the beginning, I started with a g25 and moved then to a fanatec csw v2. There never was a period in evolution of physics and tyremodel it got worse to me, no matter what wheel I was using.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with a T300. So maybe it's about the wheel.

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    GTR was made and released 2004 or 2005. GTR2 was made and released 2005 or 2006.

I think that means it was before EA got that decade-license for Porsche. ;)

GTR2 content later was changed and reduced whent hey re-released it on Steam, the Steam version I read (at Steam'S page) does not have the two Ferraris and two Porsches anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You have clearly already made up your mind if you are saying that AC uses a 'simplified' game engine.

Not only is that factually wrong, it's pretty funny too. :rolleyes:

It also doesnt help when you try to degrade other games. No need to do that on this forum. Go to RD if you want to argue with others about whose E-peen is bigger.

They all have their purpose and place, as well as each having their own character and things they do well.

Actually, the files are still included with the game. You do get Porsche and Ferrari cars, they are just disabled.

If you do some google searching, you can figure out how to re-enable them for your driving pleasure.

Quite cheeky of SimBin/Sector3 to leave the files there so people can use them still ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Strange ways people go. FOV calculators. FFB callibrators. I just use my senses, and go with what pleases me! ;)

I use a G27. This is clearly inferior equipment compared to your T300. I also used it on Dirt. rF2 demos, several builds. GSCE. Raceroom. Nascar 2003. RBR. - FFB in AC is now easily the most subtle one I getf rom any of these titles. Easily. It was inferior two years ago, but it now is the most subtle one I have ever seen anywhere. And many other players would agree with that. Now. FFB is something very subjective, what the one finds too tough in effects, the other finds too lame. Some love canned effects, others have good arguments to claim canned effects are unrealistic and overshine real physics effects. And then the question is how the wheel spoftware is set up, anmd how ingame options are set up. Really, this is an issue that has written "subjective" all over it. And finally, FFB depends on how it interacts with the pyhsics engine. And then there is the individual way in which the player has set up the car. It all interacts, sometimes more, sometimes less so.

As I see it, there are basically two kinds of players regarding Raceroom and Assetto cxorsa. The one kind is like me: we realise that the physics engines feel differently in both titles, but we have no problem to take each one for what it is and enjoy it while not demanding it to feel like the other title. Thatsb why I play both games, AC and RR. The other kind of players, for whatever the reason is, cannot or refuse to do that, they imply that the one game must feel like the other, the one is a reference, and the other either compares to that in the way it feels, or is disqualified. They live by just one, somewhat "absolute" idea of what physics should be like so that they spend time with them. That is not "wrong" in principle, nor is it "right". Its just a legitimate choice they make.

I somehow understand your "stubborness" to my claims about AC, better than you think. :D That is, like you think about Ac I think about rF2. I absolutely do not like it - and I tried it in four different phases of its development, from the very beginning until Spring this year. All what you say about AC, I say about rF2, and here is where I turn from being a guy accepting two alternatives and using them both, to being a guy who chooses and accepts just one of the two, and decides against the other. I know the reputation of rF2 and how nice its physics should be, and obviously many people think I am insane when claiming I cannot see them in rF2. Its just that I cannot see them shine. Not by a lightyear. And some people I know who also woudl agree with me.

So it goes. Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen. Different strokes for different folks.

Take car(e) - tracks with traffic on them are a zoo. ;) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Not at all if it is legal. I am certain they checked that.

17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Why leave them out of the Steam release then? There was definitely some licensing reason they couldnt include them officially in this re-release.

They can include whatever files they want in the game folder though. If the game doesnt actually use them for anything. So, if the end user hacks up those files and somehow implements them in the game, the developer cant really be held accountable for that Im sure.

So yeah, I do believe this was a cheeky solution to get around the licensing issue and still maintain the 'full' game experience. :)

18. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I seem to have taken a small hit in performance, periodic 99 CPU but no real drop in FPS with 40 cars at Spa.

Have you tried AC with Mr belowski's crew chief app, warms up the race day experience quite a bit.
    Although I hate the waving flags in the RRE tracks, the overall feel of the environment is much more welcoming.
    AC does lack a certain presence that is hard to put into words.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I don't think AC is awful as I find AC has a really nice weight distribution system, solid hybrid simulation and their suspension simulation on different types of suspension is great. Much better than the competition. The problem is Kunos's simulation on gearbox, turbo, engine, heat and tire are inferior compared to the competitors. It just different developer focusing on different aspect of simulations where some games have glaring issues in the certain aspect of the simulation.

I like AC how is it. While there are issues, it is still a well-designed racing game. The V10 tires feel like a step back for me as it feels flatter than the previous version while it feels more black and white in terms of grip level changes. AC's tire grip level changes seemed to be lacking the tire slip angle that some games like R3E and pcars do very well where you can regain grip to a certain extent if you start to slip.

The Porsche pack is pretty decent but this is the first time I enjoyed the road cars more than the race cars in the pack. Frankly, I am quite disappointed how the 917 and 991 drives but really surprised on how sublime the Cayman GT4, 718 and 918 drives in AC.

20. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I uninstalled rF2 a couple of moons ago, as I see it as a failed tech demo with a messy tyre model. So I defo don't belong to either side in the constant AC vs. rF2 -war.:D