The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with the gearbox, turbo and heat? Every game struggles with gearboxes, so no real surprise there it isnt modeled perfectly. As for the others, not sure what the problems are there.

Their V10 tires felt great to me when they released them back in July, but with this new v1.9 patch with the Porsches, they took a huge step backwards. I guess they made some corrections to camber and other slip angle stuff and as a result every car in the game is now slower by a substantial margin. Far too much. Not really sure how they 'fixed' it while making it feel worse and everything go slower.

Before that though, V10 tires felt like the previous ones, just with better heat simulation.

What dissapoints about the 917/30 though? Aside from a complete lack of proper official liveries. Which can be said of all the new Porsche racing cars. Inexcusable really. No Jagermeister? No Martini? No Kremer liveries?

917 drives like it should according to their physics guy. He made an interesting post about the differential which is supposed to give you solid traction under acceleration at the cost of the car understeering like a boat on slow corners. For an early 70's car though, hairpins were not part of their skill set.

2. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Compared to R3E's gearbox simulation, AC's one is rather basic. The Fabcar in R3E is vastly better than the Moby Dick in AC because of that. The sensation of the power slowly spool up elastically after you changed gears in R3E is great or how the turbo lag of A442 in pcars feel a lot better than AC's simulation where you know it is coming then followed with a massive surge of torque. The turbo and gearbox feel like they did not simulate much in comparison to their weight distribution or suspension systems.

That is just my opinion on AC which the same can be applied to some weaknesses in R3E like how some cars still feel quite floaty in comparison to AC's rather grounded feel.

For me, the 917 does not feel much different from the Group Cs where I thought it should be quite different has an insane amount of torque and more primitive aero. At the end, it feels like an understeering Group C for me. The understeering is expected due to how the car is designed, it just does not feel powerful when I drive it, like a Group 5 or P1 in R3E where it felt like you are driving an extremely powerful car from the past when the engineers are completely nuts.

Still, thats how I felt about AC's physics where they absolutely nailed the driving sensation of a road sports car but faster race cars are generally rather underwhelming. As if they interpolate their calculation that is suitable for slower road cars to these high powered behemoths which felt odd for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Sublicensed from EA who won't even let them appear in re-releases. Forza had them more recently too.

Luckily, the EA grasp seems to be slipping and we all win, so hopefully this is the first of many, but Kunos still deserve every credit for the way they've gone about this.

Personally, I can't wait for pack 3. The first one has the GT4 and classic RSR, which interest me greatly, and the second one has the 962 and RSK, but I think I like every part of the third part; 908, (proper) 917, GT3R and 2017 RSR.

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The question is whether it indeed is the simulating mechanism, or intentional design by value-tweaking. There are cars that have tremednous turbo lag in AC, namely the F40. The simulating mechanism to transport this and other related things to the player's perception obviously is there. Me, I for example have difficulties in Raceroom to beleive in some cars very slow torque and speed buildup. I cannot judge from reality since I do not drive any of these cars for real. Its impossible for me to tell whether this is due to correct reality-simulation, or just different simulation mechanisms in different games.

In general, one should never expect that one and the same car model in two or three different simulations will feel and behave similiar. They do not. I compared several shared cars in AC and RR, and found no car so far where I would say that they feel the same to me.

Well, faster racecars are not my cup of tea anyway, I indeed prefer the roadcars and sportcars, hypercars at best since their mad dysbalance between top speed and usually weak brakes makes them fun and adventure to drive. : AC and RR simply have very diferent foci in car selection and what they want to deliver to the player. That is one of the reasons why I think both simulators complement each other so superbly. No other combination of two simualtor on the market today could do that to this degree, me thinks.

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    A failed tech demo, eh? LOL You do not find friends with them with comments like this! :D

Ironically some rF2 fans often boast with the superior tyre model of rF2 and how superior it is claimed to be over AC. Truth is, I like AC's tyre model way better - no matter that rF2 seems to run more number-show with its tyre model there, at least that is what is claimed, and that rF2 tyres use more variables. I wonder how people could know that if not having cracked the code. In the end, I do not stare at a number for outer and inner temperatures or core and surface temeperatures, but I judge it by how it feels when driving. And this is where AC imo leaves rF2 tyres in the dust. I had problems to adapt to version 10 tyres in AC, and it took me time to get used to it, I preferred v7 for long time. But now I see the light, and celebrate v10 like many others do. Sublime, subtil, and - in loss of a better word: elegant their simulation feels to me.

rF2 seems to export more variables from its physics engine and makes them available in formats that can be used by real world engineers, if wanted. AC may be more limited in this, but that it does nto read out data does not mean that it does not calculate them or uses no according variables. Their market they aim at probabaly does not need them to focus on data exporting that much, like it was wanted to do with rF2.

Somehow rF2 never got out of the starting block.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    They have been like this since always. Modding-friendly as AC is, they have all reaosn to trust in that modders will do their magic sooner or later. RD lists over 3700 skins for AC cars already: and a new swing of Porsches has just been released in their skin-department. If their artists are needed for other stuff, they would be crazy if wasting too much time with skinning - when having so many willing helpful modders at their hands.

I collected GB's of skins in the first year, but then stopped to do so: it became a full time profession, and that was when it had become too much. :D

7. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Spend some more time with the latest version of the V10 tires model.
    They have implemented a more active brake heat and fade cycle that may be misinterpreted
    as tire grip and slip.

RRE has done a nice job with the sequential gear box but the H shift and clutch is still buggy as hell.

8. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Re skins of 917/30, I saw that the modder who started the car before being incorporated into official content released a pack at RD, so it is kinda official. Lord knows (literally, in this case) why they were not included. Licensing issues, I guess.

9. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    There was one thing about FFB I haven't tested. It is the enhance understeer thingy, which to my surprise put some life into my T300. Tested FGT40 at the old Silverstone, got hooked, caved in under self-induced pressure and bought the freaking season pass. Woe is me.

Glad to report that 917/30 is not at all dissimilar to my rFactor physics mod, where I put all the info I could gather from the net to an old 3D model of 917/10. A lot of guesswork was included of course, and a fake turbo, but it seems I got something right as the driving feeling is pretty similar. Yay me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think this video with HTC Vive illustrates much of why Porsche wanted Kunos to do their next showcasing simulators, and why certain Porsche cars are included for free for which Kunos - brazenly - got attacked and sometimes even offended while including them.

Interior modelling at its best.

I played around in showroom with some of the Porsches a bit, especially the 918 Spyder andf the Panamerat. The level of detail and smoothness in interior graphics is imo beyond what AC usually shows with other cars.

11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Relying on the community to flesh out official content or add to it is what got rF2 in the hot mess they are in :p That would be quite a poor decision if that is what Kunos did.

However, Im sure this wasnt the case. It was most likely due to licensing issues, or probably most accurate "rating" issues. More nefarious than the above, of simply not including them... Kunos actually has removed various liveries when the game released on consoles. The BMW e30 used to have the Warsteiner logo, but that was decimated by removing the Warsteiner branding. Same with removing an MP4-12C gt3 livery before that too. Seems they just dont want any alcohol branding because this may impact the games ESRB rating.... or something like that. Perhaps not all that dissimilar to what Codies chose to do with the Williams Martini livery in the F1 games. Removing the red stripe and entire Martini branding.

12. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Only watching this VR stuff is enough for me to get motion sickness :expressionless:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Seems to be a minor thing related to the slow-speed physics. At pedestrian's speed, the cars in AC sometimes shiver, brake too abruptly, I sometimes saw it in other cars, too. They need a certain minimum speed of maybe 20 km or so to work correctly. Like a plane doe snto fly if not fast enough to create uplift at its wings.I do not care, even less so, since the 917 and Moby are not my toys anyway.

Try the just today released mod track Transfagarasan (SimTraxx) and the superbly modelled 911 RSR 3.0 . A dream. The car, as I just debated in Kunos forum, needs a VERY different kind of driving, reversing the relation between steering with the wheel and steering with the pedal. On this track its pure pleasure.

Maybe no other Porsche in this pack has been nailed down so perfectly by Kunos, than this one. Since by looks this is the most classical Porsche one could imagine - it cannot become any more classical regarding Porsches, can it? - this is now an outstanding star in AC's car collection.

I would kill for getting this car-track-combination in RR.

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the guy moves his head too hectically. Imagine him to be more aware and slow moving, and imagine the images that would have produced then. Stunning.

I used TrackIR in the beginning of AC, but the range of movement with it was limited to the sides, unfortunately. Today I just use two quick buttons for snap-looking to the sides. TrackIR is a mst in flightsimming, but in race simming its not needed. Not really, can even be counterproductive.

16. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. For single screen users there's no better way to "look to apex" or detect yaw (car begins to rotate, your head doesn't) than a fine tuned head tracking. I use EDtracker.

17. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm going to try to learn how to convert rFactor tracks for Assetto Corsa, for personal use. The available Le Mans mod for AC is just not good enough when accuracy is concerned (thanks iRacing for the info!...:rolleyes:).

18. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    This happened because both Kunos and Codemaster wants to obtain Pegi 3 rating, afaik. Even back in WMD, SMS removed all the alcohol and cigarette from their licensed liveries as if you have those branding on the cars, your game's rating will go up to Pegi 15, if I am not wrong.

Also, cigarette branding are not allowed to be advertised in any way for some countries. So, just to be on the safe side, they did not add the decals in the first place. It kinda terrible to see blank Malbore liveries in MotoGP 16. I thought they would had done the Lark way in some games where lines are drawn on the brand to cover it while it kinda looks like Lark from a distance than a blank decal on the car. I bought a 1:43 Skyline Group A scale model with the Winston Racing livery or the red livery in R3E. The Winston word is removed too with the rather awkward Racing word left on the car. At least it was cheap and I was itching for a R32 Group A to go with my random collection of touring cars.

I guess AC included Warsteiner liveries initially because it was a digital release on PC. Then, they removed it because they are selling physical copies on console which is subjected to more laws. It is a shame though, as Kunos did hire zelimper for livery who used to make really good liveries for AC. The Porsche pack liveries are rather empty, to be honest but thankfully, the community is adding a lot of great liveries.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Pegi is the ratings board in Europe right? That is probably more accurate than my post then.

Kind of a shame that just adding a few logos could raise the Pegi rating up so high for a game that has no violence or anything controversial in it. Although, I can see why restricting that sort of advertising would warrant a higher rating.

That's one of the things I love about RaceRoom. There are so many authentic liveries that arent gimped and flesh out entire classes so nicely. Going to AC where they hardly release any real life liveries anymore is always a bummer. I dont think there have been more than a handful of real world liveries in the past 12 months. All the gt3 cars they release are generic skins, except that glickenhaus car. Even the spec series cars like the gt4's have not a single real livery. It's frankly awful. Relying on modders to make liveries when you hired one of the more famous modders to do exactly that is a bit baffling.

20. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 2