OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll try this later today, but when ASTW kicks in for me, I can totally feel the latency for inputs, and I am more prone to dizziness when it is on (maybe it's the switching back and forth?).

Like all VR titles, settings optimization is critical. AC optimizes extremely well for VR and there are well documented recommended settings on their forum and even 3rd party websites, even though the interface does not run in VR. I'm hoping the community and Sector3 can provide the same level of detail as the optimize R3E for VR. I honestly feel like in the not too distant future, most sim-racing will be in VR.... it's just that immersive.

2. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried this and discovered that ASW tends to stay on for the first corner of most tracks before it locks to 90fps (with fairly low settings). I have faster lap times at 90fps vs 45fps with ASW. With a Vive, there is ASR which can do what ASW does, but at framerates higher than 45. I wonder if that's possible with a Rift.

If I try to optimize setting for the most 90fps, it's really noticeable when ASW kicks in, and there is an immediate increase in latency.

If I max out nearly everything, ASW does make everything look great, but it certainly has that "choppy film" look with any movement.

3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    AC does look good I use Reshade with PP off, plus the car interiors are superb. However what lets AC down is the really bad AI who mostly refuse to pass you and have no fight in them.

RRRE may only be DX9 but it still manages to look really good in VR (aside from flickering sky textures or brightness since last patch). What really sets it apart though is some extraordinarily good physics on many (not all) cars Formula Junior and Formula 3 are standouts for me, plus the excellent AI and how it adapts to your skill level ~ this is what really hooks me in and stops me going back to AC because I do not race online, rarely if ever.

I liked the VR update so much that I bit the bullet and bought the remaining content recently few weeks back. The VR plus news of DX11 update in the future sold me completely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I got fed up with ASW kicking in so i dropped the drivers back to 372.90
    No complaints.

5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ^ Not sure what you mean there MrTay. I am on latest nvidia drivers for my 1080. How does running that older driver make it better ?

6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    yeah just turn ASW off, problem solved.

7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Marc how do you turn ASW off ? I read using combo of numpad keys but I have a wireless Logi keyboard and it does not have a numpad only numbers on top of the letters row. I still do not understand how running a driver from last September could be better, do you ?

8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    there must be a way for your keyboard to simulate the Numpad, if not maybe ctrl + 1/2/3/4 on the normal top layout will work. Either way that's how you turn it off so you get a constant 90fps (if you can), some drivers are better than others that's always been the case. If it works for you now then leave it until a later driver release and try again :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Does not seem to do anything, is there a way you can tell if the ASW is on or off ? I just tried turning the pixel density right down to 1.4 from 2.6 where it was running. Plus I turned down everything to medium but when I raced, apart from everything being ugly blurry, it did not look like it was running 90fps. In Assetto the graphics are more complex and it runs 90fps easily on my rig.

The ASW seems to work well on my settings which are all High plus 2xmsaa+fxaa and pd 2.6 and even on Nords 24hour I can run a grid of 18 without any obvious asw blurring going on, maybe slightly at the start. I just wanted to see what it looked like running a clean 90fps with no ASW as few people have said it is noticeably better.

**** Sidenote to the Devs ~ if they per chance even read such comments ****

I have to exit the game via Task Manager to kill the Steam VR app and RRRE.exe otherwise the system takes forever to close and it errors out with a Crash Dump and SteamVR fails to closedown hanging the system.
    And the shadows and lighting is still doing funky things in race like casting long out of place shadows on the track and flashing light in the sky ~ despite my best efforts to track down the cause - shadows on Lowest seems to help somewhat but other things I thought were the cause like Bloom ended up being Red Herrings !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  10. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    my framerate is pretty constant on 90 FPS, but my CPU usage is very high. Can you guys confirm that this is an issue at the moment?
    I know that vr support is in an early state and i don't complain about that. Just want to know if that is normal atm?

11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hi Pekro, please tell us how do you know your framerate is constant on 90 fps ?
    What are your system specs and what settings are you running in game ?
    What are you using to measure fps and cpu usage ?

12. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hello @Blanes,
    i use the "Oculus Tray Tool" to show the FPS and tweak the super sampling a litte bit. Here's the link: https://goo.gl/GW1Gjx

Open it before launching any vr game and steamvr, that's very important.

13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I am aware of the Oculus Tray Tool but I do not trust the FPS it reports as I am unable to turn ASW off. However regarding SS I tried many different settings yet saw no difference in game so abandoned using it. Pixel Density does have an effect yet beyond about 2.5 it seems to have very little effect. What are your system specs and what Graphics settings do you run in-game ? ie. High Medium, custom.

14. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    System specs are Intel Core i7 5820K and Geforce GTX 980 Ti, graphics at medium and with visble Cars set to 20 it's running smooth at 90 FPS. Only when i leave the pitlane it drops down to 45 FPS for a few seconds.

15. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    After fiddling with the VR a little bit more I can safely say that the mirrors are definitely biggest single performance hit in VR, like someone already mentioned earlier in the thread. It also seems that mirrors get more demanding the more you have opponent cars in your mirror. Some tracks and cars seem to be heavier than others, but generally mirrors are FPS hogs.

Mirrors are really well done in R3E as their clipping distance is far and image is sharp. This seems to come with a price in VR, where R3E's rather CPU heavy graphics engine just can't cope with graphically demanding VR enviroment. Fact is, I get huge positive performance improvement when mirrors are turned off, but of course that is not good option for the racing.

VR is still new territory for many if not most dev teams, and there is lot for them to learn. That means that there are most likely many optimisations to be done for R3E also, but if I'd be looking for them, I'd check the mirrors as a first step to improve the performance. Otherwise, R3E VR is really well done all ready :)

16. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think i will just give up on Raceroom-VR for now.

Despite having decent hardware (6700k@4,4GHz, GTX 1080@2100 MHz) i just can't get Raceroom to run as smooth in VR as AC, there are always some stutters here and there, especially when cornering and driving with the ai. Even completely disabling mirrors and set most options to "low" or "off" did not resolve this.

I also disabled hyperthreading but sadly with no success.

My gpu-usage hovers around 30-40% even when racing alone with quite a bit of supersamling and the game seems to be awfully cpu-bound. Hope this gets better with DX11, i would love to race DTM in VR but for me, VR needs to be absolutely smooth or i get headaches :-(

regards
    Quicksilver

17. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Do you run with ASW on or off? Because I don't get stutters at all and my rig is much lower spec than yours with low/medium settings on 1.8 Pixels and 12 cars visible with upto 30+ depending on what I'm racing.

Edit: not to mention this is just the second pass of VR, there's still a long road for Sector3 to take before it's upto or near AC standards.

18. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think that ASW is actually kicking in automatically, at least with AC that is the case. Might try to deactivate it the next time i try raceroom and see if that helps.

regards
    Quicksilver

19. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Can I see somewhere if ASW is on or off?

20. Thomaso

Thomaso Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ASW is only available on oculus devices. I agree the stuttering on Vive makes it a no go for me too.