OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Lezzam

Lezzam New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I own an OSVR HDK2 and i am pleased with the VR support in R3E. But i am not able to change the resolution in the headset.
    It is at a fixed format. I want it to change to the native resolution of my HDK2.
    Has this something to do with the windowed start up of r3e? I have an 1980x1080 resolution monitor.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Magus, I followed your instructions to the letter and I am still having the same issue. I did notice that when I run the game in normal mode, my resolution has changed from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 600. I switch it back to 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz but it doesn't hold and reverts back to the lower resolution after trying to run it in VR mode. Could this probably be a factor?

3. Magus

Magus Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure it is, the game always runs windowed when in -vr mode. You are definitely not using Steam VR Beta?

4. Lezzam

Lezzam New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did the same steps as you mentioned above. The result is not changed in my case.
    The resolution in the headset is still the the same as the window-size. I think it cannot be larger then the actual monitor.

I do not use Steam VR Beta.

5. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How can you tell whether you are using Steam VR (Beta) or not?

6. Lezzam

Lezzam New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In Steam go to Library and select Tools. Search for Steam vr and right-click for options. In this screen you can opt-in/out for Beta's.

7. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    VR has definitely improved after the patch, a lot, but it oddly still seems to be for some reason CPU limited. With default supersampling my GTX980ti doesn't even boost and GPU usage hovers around 60% or so. Increasing SS to 2.0 GPU boosts fine to 1505MHz , GPU usage is around 40-50% and game performance is exactly the same, that is some hitches here and there with around 20 cars and most settings at high. Because of the CPU limited behaviour, most of the graphics settings have nada or very little effect on FPS, the best way to adjust performance is simply the amount of AI cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Magus

Magus Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi Lezzam, I think there is a misunderstanding. The issue Scorpean was having was just a black screen in the HMD when booting with -vr. Those instructions I listed were what solved that issue for me so I could finally get the image through my Rift headset instead of just the audio and a black screen. Nothing to do with resolution of the handset itself.

9. (RFR) luispara

(RFR) luispara New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    putain je suis deg ,j'ai desinstaller RRE pour rien ,le jeux marcher tres bien avant la derniere mise a jour ,maintenant quand le jeux se lance pas en plein ecran mais en plus l'image est trop haute et sort de l'ecrance qui fait que je ne peut plus aller au option qui se situe sur le haut de l'ecran ,dur....

10. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to display what's seen in the cv1 on the monitor at the same time? I see the steam vr has a mirror option but when using vr with raceroom it pops up a blank black screen. Would love to see that screen mirror cv1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lezzam

Lezzam New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was my mistake indeed. At least my settings are clean now.
    Thank you for your reply.

12. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can somebody please post their graphics settings for smooth VR? I've been experimenting for the past few hours and Track Level of Detail and AA seem to have the greatest impact. Pixel Density does not make a huge visual improvement going from 1.5 to 2.0, but it does slow performance when combined with other settings.

My settings on a GTX 1080 for what seems like 90fps:
    -vr 1.8
    Track Level of Detail: Low
    LOD Distance: Medium
    Particle Detail: Low
    Car Reflection Quality: Low
    Shadows: Medium
    Car Shadows: On
    Shadow Spilt: On
    Multi-Sampling: No AA or 2x
    FXAA: Off
    Bloom: On
    DOF: Off
    Motion Blur: Off
    Lightshafts: On
    Lens Effects: Off
    Track Texture Quality: Medium
    Car Texture Quality: Medium
    Rear View Mirror Quality: Low

13. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey man ur settings r low for a 1080 i have a 980ti and here is my settings.

-vr 2.5
    Track Level of Detail: medium
    LOD Distance: high
    Particle Detail: high
    Car Reflection Quality: high
    Shadows: low 《《《《 VERY IMPORTANT
    Car Shadows: On
    Shadow Spilt: On
    Multi-Sampling: 8x
    FXAA: on
    Bloom: On
    DOF: Off
    Motion Blur: Off
    Lightshafts: On
    Lens Effects: Off
    Track Texture Quality: High
    Car Texture Quality: High
    Rear View Mirror Quality: Low

Try those settings u should run just fine with those the key ones are track shadows and shaders the rest u can crank up
    Hope it helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The shadows did make a difference, but I can see the ASTW artifacts. I'm lowering a few settings to see if I can get it to lock at 90fps.

15. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    well let me know which setting worked to get a 90 FPS maybe i can try it ;)

16. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    After spending a couple hours testing I have come to the conclusion that it is too hard to try to keep 90 FPS.

So I went the other way with it and I like it I am running on high graphics the only thing I shut off was bloom. 2.0 SS. It seems to work better if overload the system let's say because I get stutters when it is below 90 and above 45.

Just finished a 10-lap wtcc race with 20 ai and it stayed smooth the entire time. Plenty useable for now until optimization.

17. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    -vr 2.0
    Track Level of Detail: low
    LOD Distance: medium
    FXAA: off

I swear there is less latency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Onaflyer

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    If you run the Oculus debug tool, (performance tab) while racing you can see the fps in real time. Just in case anyone wants to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Onaflyer, i did the same thing as you with my 1080. I tried really hard to get 90fps solid, but it just isn't meant to be. So....back to 45 and maxing things out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Onaflyer

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I agree Mike, right now the best way to go about it is maxing out and get it looking good (which it does) and letting ASTW kick in and stay kicked in.

The more I use R3E the more I like it, extremely happy to have another sim besides iRacing to run in VR. I know there is AC but there is just something about AC that just doesn't do it for me. Can't quite put my finger on it though.