The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    "full blown sim" ? what should that be? is the fact that SMS also puts effort in some eyecandy and playability on gamepads and taking environmental influences into account a sign for having an inferior physics engine and tire model? I guess not. It's not their fault that other developers don't put this extra effort into their sims. But you just cannot accuse them for building not a full blown sim for having more features and being released on consoles too... is AC now inferior too after console release?
    In fact Project Cars 2 is more of a "full blown sim" than for example AC.. also for the fact that it's more "full" :-D

2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not quite. Nobody trusts Austin because even before the whole "shill" debacle was a thing, PRC was notoriously bad.
    Most articles was this weird mix of personal opinions, speculations, hearsay, and stuff that was just blatantly made up.
    Which would've been fine had this been a blog. If you're trying to pass for a semi-serious sim-journalist, it's less good.

You may need a bit more tinfoil. :D
    Had the above been the case, why would it only affect PC2?
    Jimmy's streaming/recording rF2 and R3E without the need to hammer them.
    Hell, he even plays GT3/4 for some inexplicable reason.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    maybe they see in pcars2 a more dangerous comptitor :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Build 754 lol

5. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Nobody likes that Austin guy...
    Maybe his mummy does..
    Let's not forget, as Austin has stated himself, he is a employee of SMS.
    Let's not forget, as driven by Austin, the Project Cars sponsored car.
    Let's not forget Austin, has completely lost all credibility he thinks he once had.
    Let's just forget Austin.
    Most people have, and so will Mr Bell, soon...
    Mr Bell has played him beautifully.

The game will be fine, it may even be great, lets just wait and see..
    Too many of these 'reviewers', and so called 'experts' have outside input, from people wishing to promote their own agenda.
    Leave them to it, they all seem to enjoy the make believe world that they have created.
    Poor things drowning in their own self importance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Another opinion from GamerMuscle:

7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    people may like him or not. that doesn't matter at all.
    What matters is his knowledge about racing cars and their behaviours.

And his feedback in the WMD forum is brutally honest be it negative or positive.. and he's spot on with his feedback and he can describe the things very good.
    SMS didn't hire him (actually he isn't an employee! He's just a "partner") to silence him. they couldn't care less about a guy with a blog critcising their games because they sold enough (and will sell) with or without some negative blogger.
    Instead they "hired" him because he could really express what he disliked, was able to point out flaws precisely and showed an explicit understanding of racing cars behaviour. It was a no-brainer to get him onboard and "use" him as a tool to find flaws and exploits etc.
    Everyone's salty when it comes to Austin, but in reality he just knows what he's doing and he's got an ability many of us can dream of. And in the end no one cares about it if someone likes him or not or whatever. He's a very rational person, I think he's the least person that cares about if anyone likes him.

But that's hard to understand for people outside WMD.
    They think he's jumping around there in happiness, counting his money and praising everything about pcars2... lol no.. he's still the most objective and harshest critic over there, because that's exactly why he's on board.

So please stop bringing this "Austin is a shill" card because it's getting boring and doesn't reflect reality at all. People should know the whole story before shitposting.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The conspiracy theories (not to mention completely misleading / blatant lies...) in simracing really are amusing.

NOT.

It's actually just sad.

wrt to YT and click bating I'm just surprised its not just poor reviews because well.. that's what gives clicks.

OFC when I see someone that never tried something saying "I know" and someone who thinks is a simracer but has to be pointed out that he's using default setups all the little credibility they have went down the drain.

Not even worth a popcorn bucket.

9. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Sooo....
    The guys at SMS who created the default set-ups aren't simracers?

10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    The default set-ups are meant to make driving easier for controller users, (e.g.) a little more understeer to prevent losing the back end of the car too easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Replace 'people' with 'Austin', and you have his whole online career...

Mr SBTM, I really do not understand why you are 'spinning' for Austin.
    Can we just sort out a few facts?
    Austin has stated that he is 'employed' by SMS.
    Several times..
    Not me, Austin.
    You claim he is just a 'partner', and he was not hired, as you say in the USA; in the UK we say, 'employed'..
    Whatever you want to call it, the fact is, he is paid by SMS.
    Paid.
    Thus, he will have a contract.

I suggest you read my 'shitpost' again.
    Where did I state that Austin is a 'shill'?
    I did not.
    Fact.

Really?
    Are you sure about that...
    Mr Bell often replied to the stories created by Austin about Project Cars 1.
    Fact.

'For my efforts in drawing attention to both major and minor issues within the world of sim racing, I have entered a special kind of hell – one in which CEO’s of major companies email me links to scantily clad photoshopped pictures of themselves as a good morning gift. And he still wants my number.' Quote from Austin, about Mr Bell and Austin 'chatting' via Twitter.
    Fact.

So, as you are trying to make out, Mr Bell was not bothered by some kid and a blog..
    Yeah, ok then.
    So this muti-millionaire called Mr Bell just happened to find Austin's blog, as if by magic...
    Pretty sure Mr Bell would have better things to do, than surf the net, looking for a blog.
    May be run his successful company, perhaps..
    A member of Mr Bell's staff would of told him about this guy, called Austin.
    Why?

Simply because Austin was doing a lot of damage to SMS, via his blog.
    Fact.

'I fired a quick message to Ian Bell, and he had no problem revealing Phoenix was simply the internal code name for Project CARS 2.' Austin talking about writing to his new friend Mr Bell.
    'Friends'....
    Fact.

Mr Bell being Mr Bell, decided that he would handle it.
    And he did.
    Very well.
    Befriend Austin, get Austin with us, not against us, dump him 6 months after PC2 launch..
    Fact.

Mr Bell has bought up other sim-racing related sites.
    To control the media output.
    Ask Austin..
    Fact.

Really?
    What you claim, may be true.
    So why does Austin not print it?
    You know talk on his blog, about the issues with the game..

And that brings us back to the 'contract'.
    The contract of employment Austin has with SMS.
    The company that pays Austin money.
    He cannot talk about anything can he?
    Austin talks, no more money, no more short-track 'race' car..
    Which ever way you try to spin it, Austin is not talking..
    Fact.

Austin is not talking about Forza 7, for example.
    That's a bit strange..
    Fact.

Sorry, have not got a clue what you mean...
    'Salty'?....

In the USA, you call it 'short-track racing', that is what Austin does.
    If Project Cars 2 has 'short-track racing', then I could just about understand your claim..
    So what does Austin know exactly about, say a Lotus racing car?
    How it behaves etc.?
    Nothing.
    Fact.

Mr Bell employs real racing drivers for that, not some kid drifting around somewhere in the USA..

Well, you don't.
    Or maybe you do..

Mr Bell has play the long game with Austin.
    And has won.
    Fact.

Is this 'shitposting', or facts...?

• Like Like x 2
  12. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    What Fanapryde said and tbh which sim had good default setups anyway?
    But there's more. You'll see ;)

13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I don't know either lol.

It's just not what most of the people think it is. Austin has just some knowledge about useful things and most important: is able to express it in useful words where developers can work with. Not everybody can do this. He showed it with his critics on project cars 1 that he is able to analyse and name things, and this is worth like gold for developers. That is the main reason he wanted him aboard. Imagine a race car driver who is unable to tell the engineer what he thinks is wrong with the car. It doesn't really matter if he's a good driver or so, as long as he can tell the engineer useful things.
    Remember: Austin is not a "Handling Consultant", he's primarly on the hunt for setup exploits and flaws and for testing oval AI. I don't know much about oval racing so I have no clue how and where the AI should ride on the track etc.

I say he is a "Partner" because in WMD the SMS Staff has blue names and in their profiles it says "SMS Staff" or "Head of Physics" or "Environment Artist" but Austins name is not blue and his profile says "Partner". That's the simple reason.

Just look up the word "salty" if you don't know what it means.

How can "dumping Austin 6 months after PC2 release" be a fact? lol
    WMD2 ends with PC2 release and so will end their partnership. It may continue with WMD3, but no one knows yet if there will be a WMD3.

and ummm.. you're right he has a contract and signed an NDA like every WMD member. And you think it would make sense to write about PC2 flaws while the game is under development? after signing an NDA? seriously?

And altogether there's a bit too much tinfoilhat-nes in your comment, but that's ok I think.

And it's neither "facts" nor shitposting, just speculations and assumptions.

So long.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Project CARS 2 WIP | Panoz Esperante GTR1 @ Road America

Project CARS 2 WIP | Dallara IR-12 Chevrolet (Road Course) @ Long Beach Street Circuit

• Like Like x 2
  15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's not at all why he has zero credibility. Being paid off by Ian Bell was just one further nail in the coffin.

Well, you are absolutely correct because this is exactly what PC2 is. It's just a further 2 yrs of development over PC1, made by the same people, using the same physics engine, and using much of the same old code.

PC2 is not going to be revolutionary or drive like an entirely different game, because it simply isnt.

Whether it will actually improve on the driving feel over PC1, and whether the FFB is actually usable this time around is another thing though.

That Panoz sounds really nice :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It does.
    But the driver seems to have some issues with his hand...or is he maybe signaling his home planet somehow? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    No, he usually is driving with controller and now he has to get used to the wheel.:p
    But maybe you're right and he's an alien.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh your right the arm movement and the hand grabbing the stick are kinda weird, still atleast it not like AC when you do a 180dg or more on the wheel it's like the hand dislocates at the wrist..:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Complete BS.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So it is going to be revolutionary and drive like an entirely different game?

• Agree Agree x 1