The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Physics are physics... math is math and repro physics better and better as long CPU power and the geniuses behind the math get better solutions and optimizations.

That's true to all and in this sense, no, obviously. But no other will until the above sentence is valid. We won't see perfect RL physics in any near future anyway which leads me to FFB.

FFB wise will dictate *for you* (again, it's personal) how real it is. OFC, if we get real FFB, half of the information (or more) wouldn't even be there in a wheel. Power steering wonders IRL and all that...
    And ofc, we all think we know how all cars handle so we'll all disagree anyway. No point arguing this, obviously.

The BS part I was referring too (although not explicitly, I'll give you that) is:
    How can 2yrs of development with so many changes (not to mention the all new stuff) be the same engine? It's as much as the same engine as Automobilista uses the rF1 engine (not much left there either from the "old code").

New transmission, new terrains, lots of optimizations and new was for tyre (carcass/thread/contact patch/heat rise and dissipation/evaporation all at several levels) constructions, even the AI evolved to BTM as tyre model base...

And this is ofc just a quick macro view and only on the physics side.

You're even wrong about the same people (some are not there anymore, quite a few new).

But with all this changes, it is in fact very much different (for the better) wrt to pC1 so it is a revolution because some little things alone changed the experience completely. It's not just an evolution if you look at it this way, far from it.

I'll let you try whenever/if you feel like it after september 22nd

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    But will the in-game adjustments be understandable?
    "X", "Y", "Scoop knee"??????

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    The weather system looks really cool. Snow at the green hell, must be nice to test :)

6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    How does this game run on AMD equipment (if anyone has tried it)? I'm seriously considering an upgrade from an i5 3570k, GTX 970 to an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and AMD Radeon RX 580. I'm looking to future proof just a bit and found an amazing deal on AMD stuff. Thanks!!

7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Can't be much different from Intel.
    If you're worried because the use of Nvidia PhysX it's just a subset of it that runs ALWAYS on the CPU no matter what you have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think you are ignoring how bad the first game ran on AMD hardware when it was released. Granted, part of this was AMD choosing not to be part of development when SMS reached out, and chose not to have proper gpu drivers anywhere near release...

But the question is certainly valid with Pcars 2 once again being an Nvidia game.

9. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    No I didn't. Even if I did, it doesn't matter. And since you seem to know what happened I really don't understand that "it's an nvidia game" comment.

Anyway, this is about pC2 to which my answer still stands. You might ignore this post but that's your choice.

PS: looking at your -sig your CPU (same as mine) would gain a little from faster memory. Since haswell that cpu's like faster memory because they seem to be more interdependent. No need to go higher than 2400Mhz as It'll be just a waste of money. There's a sweet spot for the diminishing returns :)

10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0

Thank you. The PhysX didn't even enter my mind. I'm a quandary between that system and another that is i7 6700 and an nVidia 1060 6GB. Decisions Decisions. I definitely need to upgrade.

11. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean by "that system"?

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    "that system" = AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and AMD Radeon RX 580, presumably.

Is this for VR?

13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Yes the AMD system. No VR. Don't like it don't want it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    then I'd probably go with which ever is cheaper

• Like Like x 1
  15. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    i enjoy Pcars often. Truth speaken there Are only some points i dont like. Ffb has not enough information. Driving feals empty. No Laserscan on trecks. It is a bit to much acarde and the point, the sound is some dort of hollywood. To much

16. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure that are people at WMD using the latest and greatest from AMD. I don't recall any performance issues. Not so sure about the RX580.

In any case from what I've read (i have never had anything from AMD) the newer ryzen and the gpus are much better than a 6700 from intel. I don't know how RX580 compares to a gtx1060.

BUT, again, ryzen like haswel cpu's and above from intel, agre greedy wrt to memory so if you'll but a 1600Mhz sticks ,from what I've read you'll run sub par performance for what the ryzen can actually do. TBH I recall the sweet spot was 3200Mhz for Ryzen but don't quote me on that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You said using a full AMD system wouldnt be any different from using intel+nvidia. History proves this is wrong. There was a massive difference. Hence how this question is warranted because Pcars 1 ran like garbage for AMD systems for a while even after release.

When you first boot up some games, you will see them plastered with either Nvidia branding, or AMD branding. This typically means the game can be referred to as an "AMD game" or an "Nvidia game". Examples would be Pcars 1 and Nvidia, Dirt Rally and AMD, Hitman and AMD, Crysis and AMD, New Tomb Raider and Nvidia, Final Fantasy 15 and Nvidia... the list goes on. This simply means either AMD or Nvidia was heavily involved in the games development and likely optimized the game much better for their hardware compared to the competitors. Dont look too much into this, but typically AMD performs worse on games that are plastered with Nvidia logos and Nvidia specific settings like the gameworks stuff.

Tried faster ram and there was never any noticeable difference. Quite certain Haswell doesnt see any notieceable gains from using anything over 1600, so anything higher isnt necessary. 1600 + lower latency and tighter timings is going to beat out 2400+ with much higher latency and looser timings due to the true latency being lower in the former.

Both Ryzen and Skylake/Kabylake use DDR4 which has a default speed of 2133 and is typically sold at 2400 for even the cheap stuff. Dont even think they make 1600 for DDR4 :p

Would have to agree with getting whatever would be cheaper. Although, I think you may be better suited looking into getting a better GPU and a slightly lower CPU. Your game performance would be much better since the CPU has far less impact on framerates than a good gpu does.

That said, if you are really considering the Ryzen 1800x, you might prefer to get the 1700, because it is literally the exact same cpu, except it comes at a lower speed from the factory. If you have any experience overclocking, you can match the 1800x performance as that basically comes 'factory overclocked.' If you dont plan to overclock, the difference between the 2 is going to be nowhere near worth the $150 price difference between the 2. You could use that saved money to step up to a better GPU, in my opinion.

edit: It seems ddr4 1600 does exist according to Wikipedia. Im only familiar with 2133 being the standard so anything lower must be used for different purposes as even cheap pre-builts dont even come with memory that slow. Havent ever seen this stuff sold online either. :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I also still enjoy pCars and I do agree that some points need improvement. Most of them have been changed for pCars2 btw...
    - But as for FFB not giving enough info... That just means you have not set it up right. Agreed that it is very difficult and time consuming (which should not be the case), but once you nail it, it is very good.
    - Driving feels empty ? In my case I have not found a more lively, immersive racing game. graphics are the best.
    - No laserscan ? You can tell because you have driven all tracks in real life so you can compare ? If not, it is really not a valid point.
    - Could you point out why it is "too much arcade" ? Because it has day - night / working head lights / weather / fully working gauges/odometers / adjustable tire pressure / multiple tire compounds / multi class racing / possibility to look up- down in cockpit view / a proper career mode / a huge choice of cars and tracks / nice adjustable HUD / adjustable brake ducts / adjustable radiators ... need I go on ?
    http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar
    - I also don't really understand your point about the sound ? Granted most of the engine sounds are not the very best out there, but far from the worst either. Environment sound on the other hand is as good or even better than R3E (which imo is the benchmark in sound).

19. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    You can do the same settings in gt to. But gt or Forza are no a Sims. Pcars is close to a Sim. The ffb with my fanatec wheel is quite to low. I tryed days to get Car vibrations. Downforce ore tyre, not even the bumps informations. There comes no information hows the Cars behavior. There is only the visual. In real when i drive Nordschleife with friends, ones ore twice the year. I have gforce, and my butt. Ofc my Car wheel react completly diffrent to a real race car, i dont have to say, that i dont drive on my or my cars limits. Have a good insurance but crashing on racetrack, isnt in the box☺. The four Sim races give us the information we need. In rfactor, iracing, AC and Raceroom we got all behaviors. For example: Drive on VLN, i can feal if one wheel is for not even a second, in the air. Every just tinist bump. Or do i miss the breaking point, how is the grip, even the gforce direction. All this informations are not in pcars and that makes the driving so empty. This plus laserscant tracks a vital for a real Sim! I think i can speak for most Motorsport fans, that we know a lot of tracks very well. There is no week without watching hours Motorsport, sometimes in cockpitcam, Mostly on Sportchannels. In the years, you learn the tracks from your fav series very well. Some of us visit some of the tracks with there cars or even self made racecars, or for some rides in a racetaxi, some of us are real racedrivers^^. So yes i visited some places on track, with my own car or in a rtaxi! And yes we see and notis the diffrence in a secong. And even the knowledge, its not like the real one, is desturbing enough! As i said befor, ist absolutly vital!

Every Sim have there own +\- . We can only chooce witch one we prefer today. In 3RE the cars are driving Bunkers. I wish it has a absolutly real simulatet dmg system. Even when a slice fail means, the end of the Race. Stuff like this, is the Point why some of Motorsports Fans want to play Sim software. Instat of driving with actiongameplay and collect cars. We want to play Race leagues!
    The Sound! Have you bin in racetaxies? If not do it, its gorgorous! So you feal, see and hear a racecar. It is awesome really. In PC, its made hollywood like. The Bentley and the Unimok GT3 are great examples. They have very unique sounds. But the driver get just a bit from this sound. He notis, bumps, engine, wind, turbo and very very loud the gearbox. A bit the steampipes^^ sy dont know the English word for its very end. For us outside watching the Race, when either car comes closer, oh i love this moment. You hear all of the car very diffrent. But the moment, right when they pass on you. U hear all and the 'steampipes'. That makes me allways falling in love. Then you notis this brrrrm sound from the continental gt3 or AMG Unimok Gt3. And it is exactly this sound i have in pcars in the cockpit. But much more dominant and with sooooo much Bass and more brrrm and more Bass and more, just more more of this bbbrrrrrm unique sound. Its like a hollywood scene with a usas12. Bass, mooore Bass on hell oh its sound so awesome. But miles away from reality. So pc's sound isnt bad. No, its absolutly great, like a Blockbuster. In 3RE, the Sound gets very, insanly Close to reality. Best way to see it, is watching a stream from one of the many leagues. It is like watching tv and a real race.
    What bothers me most, is the bad ffb. I hope it gets bedder in pc2.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess the word you are searching for is "exhaust"...