OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer. But for now it's clear for me to use ASW. I have to go to low to everything.

But my problem is, that I can set most to high with ASW and the Oculus tray overlay shows stable 45 fps but the headroom shows -25 percent or something like that.

In Nvidia control panel I can see that my graphics card is only used by 50 percent.

What's right and what's wrong there?

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone tell me - is it possible to override “bloom” in the graphic options to make it stay on in VR?

I found the ini file and set the option to true - but that doesn’t hold either.

It feels very important as you can’t see brake lights turning on unless it’s 2 car lengths ahead.

Nathan

3. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    You could try setting the .ini file to read-only?

I'd only try that for singleplayer though.

4. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, but I guess the option is ignored no matter how you set it, and I imagine that's because it doesn't look good in VR? It probably looks fake and unconvincing when you have true stereoscopic vision inside a headset, whereas displayed on a monitor the effect looks good enough, probably as a flat plane, that you don't notice the trickery :)

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Headroom shows sometimes -50% for me with ASW :-D but image is stable and I don't recognize tearing or so. Had a 2h race yesterday in VR (on FPS hungry Nordschleife) and it was very comfortable for my eyes and brain).
    I don't get behind the use of this headroom thingy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    In assetto corsa the bloom does not look fake at all in VR,you can alter it to look over-done (like PC2),. It really aids a lot in seeing brake lights, headlights, reverse, your dashboard, warning signals and not seeing the sun as a unrecognizable disc thing in the sky.. naturally we see "bloom", having it off simply makes it look more unreal, not real. I suspect it's all in the name to save FPS - which is a good fight to have, but I'd rather turn down track detail or shadows or something else to get this working. It's especially great in multi-player to be able to see when someone hits their brake.. it's near impossible in raceroom unless you are very close.

7. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ah, ok. Than no brain to the headroom.
    I've maxed now out to have 90 FPS when I'm alone and ASW with stable 45 for online and AI races.

Don't know if I'm faster or better without ASW....

8. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    plus anything below 60fps will greatly increase the motion sickness some people experience.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    funny thing is that I get a bit of this motion sickness in pcars2 if the framerate is too much below 60. But in R3E it's absolutely no problem to drive for hours with 45 fps. what could cause this difference?

10. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i'd like to know this too

being a dx9 title really does limit its lighting options it feels compared to other games, it's just missing that punch from a bit of processing

11. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    How are you veteran and new VR users coping with the Screen Door Effect? I just got my Oculus Rift CV1 for Xmas and really struggling with the SDE. I don't know if i'm noticing it more than others but for me at least it's like i'm taping a fishing net to my face before putting the headset on! I wasn't expecting it to be clear but not so prominent either. I see people commenting on how they have to focus to see it, yet I can hardly see through it. I'm experimenting on SS with 2.0 - 2.5, with a mix of high, medium, low and off settings with ASW. There's an obvious difference going from 1.5 to 2.5 but still very bad on the eyes for me. Can't figure out if a high SS and lower settings is better or the other way round and i've spent a week fiddling with it already.

Would be good to hear your comments to see if it's my sharp eyes or brain at fault. Also any tips on helping reduce SDE would be greatly appreciated!

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't get better. High super sampling doesn't really affect SDE directly but can make the image easier on the eyes over all. But you do get used to it after a while - being involved in a big exciting on-track battle helps your brain learn to ignore the SDE.

It'll get easier to live with as you adapt and learn to ignore it, but there's no denying it's really bad on the current VR kit

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Rift user here since one month, I learned to simply live and overlook the blurriness and "pixel-net" of the headset in RR or any other game. All default settings, I just did not care to start experimenting with settings opened via the Oculus tool.

After the first minute or so, it became a non-issue. But maybe I am helped that for years I needed to play games in 320x240 and then 640x480. :) That memory teaches modesty. :D

I think VR works extraordinarily well in RR, better than in AC, since in AC main menus are not in VR, you have to remove the headset to navigate them.

I recommend to gain a more laid-back attitude and not focussing on what VR currently leaves to be desired, but what it already delivers.

14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Different FOV. High angular speed on the side is what irritates the brain. Also, the brian becomes aware o fhntta angular speed only if on the side there is details located that the eyes actually perceive flying by.

You could test this easily, especially in a flight sim LOL. Do somethign crazy, go into a looping or watch a replay of your last race - and then raise form your seat (you stand and your ehad reaches through the roof and to the outside) and then you turn your view 90° to the side. The visual perception will drastically change. And maybe your stomach will ring the early alarm bell.

I let my father do this, 72 years old. He fell, but into my ready arms, I had to catch him up. I can be a mean ugly beast at times. :D

I did that first while being in a plane in Battle for Stalingrad and allowed the autopilot to conduct the dogfight I was engaged in. I stood up. I immediately regretted that. :) - However, after having done that severla times over the coming days, I got used even to that. Actually my brain is so uch adapted now that that it gets not shpocked by anything anymore at all when beign in VR. the only expeciton is Alien Isolation with the unofficial VR mod that unloicks the VR base code in the game. I assume it just not optimised, and frames are too low. Just a few minutes of crawling around affects the healthiness of my stomach. Even without any Alien around at all.

15. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks chaps, glad to know it's not just me and that I will hopefully get used to it. VR is blowing me away in every department but looks, couldn't go back to a screen now that's for sure and it's put a whole new meaning on being in the middle of the pack, love it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    FOV seems not different to me in VR in R3E and PC2. When I look "outside the window" the trees etc passing by in R3E I have no problems, only in pc2 I get slightly weird feelings. Crashing in R3E = ok. Crashing in PC2 = not ok. maybe sth with the weird world movement settings in PC2... but I still have it at 15 in R3E.

17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    set world movement to 100 in pcars to have the camera locked to the car

18. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to see the same on my monitor as in the rift? Asking because all my other Sims just so that.

19. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Yes, after you add the comment -vr 1.5 add monitor.

“vr -1.5 monitor” for example.

20. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ah great, thank you.
    Do you know it's power hungry or is it just a duplicate like in the other games?