OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I have to disagree here: all other sims perform better in VR than RR imo and I think the reason is that they’re on DX11. I get quite a lot microstuttering in RR although I have many graphical options turned down. That’s a shame since I really enjoy racing here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Svennixx

Svennixx Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Best race game VR experience hands down is LFS (live for speed). You can see your head move about in the mirrors. Other people see your head movement as well but limited to turning. Other than that its pretty much all the same as other racing games.

Havent had any form of stuttering yet in Raceroom. Only when im around allot of cars like the start of a 20+ car race.

3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Really have to agree. In single player my gpu never reaches 85%, yet I get lots of micro stutters whenever there are more than 13 cars around me. This is with shadows to medium, no tire tracks, reflections low, contact shadows turned way down (13), AA4, and my pixel density is at 1.5.

Compare this to Assetto Corsa where I run more pixel density (1.6) and can run with a full grid, everything maxed out but reflections AND it has post processing so I can see brake lights, head lights, dash indicators light up etc and the sun isn’t a weird disc in the sky - all without stutters. Iracing performs even better but also isn’t visually comparable to either.

Asynchronous reprojection is not a option for me, I think it looks heinous and honestly I’ll go further and say if your running at 45fps your not driving at the top of your sim. It’s simply not enough fidelity to react to.

This weekend I upped my over clocking just to see if I could get those micro stutters to go away in raceroom. I’m running a i7 extreme (6950x 20 threads) at 4.37ghz, a nvidia titan over clocked to 2060mhz and 64gigs of 3400 ram. It simply makes no difference in raceroom.

There is some other bottle neck in RR when you have more than 13 cars on the grid. I virtually get no difference with 37% more performance.

Interestingly it’s worse with some cars (gt3 seems considerably worse than formula jr cars for example).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Some hardware performance updates using Lenovo Explorer and OpenVR:

-Runs pretty well at 60+ fps on my gaming laptop with a i7- 6700HQ and GTX970m. Surprisingly well considering the 970m ain't all that. Shadows turned way down and SS at 1.2

-Couldn't even get SteamVR loaded on a AMD FX-8350 and GTX1060

-Bad stuttering on a i5-3750k overclocked to 4ghz and a GTX1070

-Best results for me are with a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX1060. Always nice and smooth with video settings at medium and SS at 1.6

5. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Here is the brilliant performance of R3E VR on an Overclocked Vega64
    [​IMG]

Constant Framedrops (Frame drop indicator on oculus) from the moment you enter the game until you exit the game (which happens quickly, because come on...). Framedrops on the menu, framedrops ingame, framedrops looking at the sky, looking at the grass.

It doesn't even use the gpu (look at the usage percentage) and it seems to only use one thread on the 8 core ryzen 1800x.

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think you may have backed the wrong horse on the GPU side there fella. I want AMD to succeed as much as the next nerd but I prefer my vr stuff to just work

7. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    i would accept poor performance with 99% gpu usage, but not on 34%, which was my point. Why wont it use the other 66% sitting idle?

anyway, this horse murders on AC and pcars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone display FPS in VR?? I can't see it even after using CTRL-F, or CTRL-C for CPU...? Tips?

9. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    In VR, I'm constantly getting "ghosting" or "objects doubling" when looking at fast objects across the screen (or looking side ways out the window at the trees). I've tried turn off asynchronous project, no luck, tried super low graphics settings, no luck.

I run the game in Windowed mode at a low resolution, no vsync.

I have a powerful CPU, tons of RAM, GTX 1080 and the new high resolution VR headset from Samsung (Window Mixed Reality). I have no problem in iRacing or Assetto Corsa (and way sharper then oculus or rift :))

Any tips would be really appreciated. This is my favorite game, but it's unplayable in VR for me.

10. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you have “interleave reprojection” on?

It’s also possible steamvr is not saving your settings. AReprojection, and interleave can both be turned on and off during the session. This can be very helpful for trouble shooting. However, time and time again steamvr will not save settings correctly and when it comes back on it shows something unchecked that’s actually on. It’s fascinating that it’s been updated literally over a 100 times but saving/remembering settings is still randomly broken.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    One question (could help others)
    I've tested now so many settings with the performance HUD from Oculus tray tool on.

I want to have settings with stable 45 fps with 20 GT3 Cars on Nordschleife VLN version. Heard, that it could be the greatest problem.

At all: have a look at the mirror and car reflection settings. The trouble with them is, that they juice out the power of your system but if you don't set them to high, you see that the whole display is stuttering. But it isn't the whole display. In fact is, that the cars hood reflection is stuttering with low fps on medium and the mirrors does the same. It's not the mirror quality which goes lower, it's the framerate in the mirror which goes lower. And in VR this stuttering on the hood or in the mirror seems to tell your brain, that the whole picture is stuttering.

So for me it's a must to give those settings to high.

Now my question: is there another setting, which is advised to go to high to get more love and which could be go to low without problems and loosing the immersion, because now I have at start until Mercedes arena the problem that the fps are only around 40...

12. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    i use steam fps counter, u can see it on your monitor, unfortunately not directly in vr

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oculus comes with an performance HUD. Install Oculus Tray Tool and you can easily enable and disable it

14. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Turning off the Advanced Supersample made everything much smoother!! :) But still some doubling/ghosting... can't figure out how to remove it. Asynchronous and interleaved is off.

15. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got rid of all ghosting/doubling/microstuttering issues in various games with a CV1 through always starting the oculus software in administration mode. Go to the Compatibility tab in the Properties of the Oculus Software executable for this.
    Otherwise the oculus software runs with full demand in the background when starting certain applications. Maybe this helps with raceroom too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    After struggling all sunday trying to get R3E to run @ 90fps on vega64+ R7 1800x, I found that setting your in-game resolution to 720P@59hz before enabling VR manages to keep the 90fps target but with very big question marks that would be easily identified by the Developers using their tools:

-R3E 2D @ 1440P MAX SETTINGS: 150~170fps @99% GPU Utilization (excluding grid starts)
    -R3E VR @ 1.0 SS LOWEST SETTINGS: 90fps with some stutters @35% GPU Utilization. (excluding grid starts)
    -R3E VR @ 1.0 SS LOW-MEDIUM SETTINGS: 45fps with constant stutters. (excluding grid starts)
    Any visual upgrade will instantly increase the stutters while keeping the same gpu utilization, with the exception of MSAA which ran fine @ 4X while on lowest settings.

Assetto Corsa and Pcars2 also benefit greatly from reducing the "2D" resolution to its lowest 720P 59hz. But as opposed to R3E, they run @ 90fps stutter free with High settings, on the same Vega64. The most prominent difference between them, is that both AC and Pcars support Oculus natively, while R3E goes through SteamVR. The second most prominent difference is the API DX11 vs DX9.

That being said, I enjoyed R3E VR greatly, whilst I have to concede visually I was staring at the modern equivalent of 93's Papyrus IndyCar racing.

[​IMG]

PS: trying to resolve the text in the online server screen is literally like trying to see an actual face in the audience of the above pic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, hoping that VR is enhancing soon in R3E. My GPU is idling the whole time with 50/60 percent of use, but hard to get 45 FPS with low/Mid settings. AntiAliasing is no Problem but a bit more Graphic and it goes down with the frames.

And yes: Reading something in VR in Raceroom is very hard. I don't know, why it isn't done already. I can not blieve that it takes so much time to get some things readable. Same as the Driver List in the above of the screen. You can't read any times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Cyril Cherry

Cyril Cherry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, i have a question. I'have seen Raceroom mirror captures on You Tube with good quality, but mine have a very poor quality :( Can i change quality mirror with settings?
    Thanks

19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    yes but this changes quality in VR too.

you should have at least FXAA enabled to have decent antialiasing for the capture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    You, sir, are my personal hero!
    I've did that, too after reading your post and I absolutely can confirm! It works. Now I can max some things out. Yesterday I was very frustrated after long testing and this has solved the problem. It isn't perfect but it is ok.

Thank you for sharing this tipp. I highly recommend every VR user, to test this.

• Like Like x 1