The new adaptive AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradox Agi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt Stone said

I bet you hate racing multiplayer!
    The AI in this game are much more forgiving and more predictable than real life players.

Do you find the same problem in the gt3 class?

Yes Matt yesterday I played GT3 and it happened the same as always ..... I was pushed out of the track.

Soon I will upload the video.

I understand that Sector 3 will be working to solve these problems.....

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i really hope not , the ai are good , and you have to be aware of them , the higher the % you set the less forgiving they are , this isnt hotlaping , its racing and shit happens .
    90% of the contacts i have are generally my fault , of the 10% thats left 90% of those are 50/50

keep you grid size low (ai has max intelligence at this level ) qualify , and race find a % were your not running away from them or playing catch up
    remember nothing is perfect

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Andi the AI in 95% my race pace was good and I was able to advance to the first place.

The problem is that then I suffered attacks from the bots until they took me off track on the straight.

I find it very wrong that the only way that bots have to pass is to hit you from behind

4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    It's strange Nano...GT3 is all I race and I find the AI just about perfect; I really hope Sector 3 don't change it as this is the main reason I play R3E. They by far have the best AI of all the PC racing games on the market today.

In my opinion the only improvements they could make are..
    • The way the AI behave under yellow flag conditions (they take too long to get back up to speed after they have passed the yellow flag sector.)
    • Would love to see the AI a little more aggressive and try and out brake me on the inside.
    • make the AI make a few more mistakes like out braking themselves and getting off line.....Like I do all the time LOL
    Just about every video I've seen of yours you are hit because of errors you have made, where you have gone off the racing line and a bot saw an opportunity to pass, or where you where not aware of a faster bot coming up behind you and you cut across the racing line , broke too early etc etc. I think there was only 1 video of yours which looked suspicious but in saying that there wasn't enough footage preceding the hit to actually know what really happened.

The best advise I could give is
    • Install Crew Chief to help you with your situational awareness
    • Start to recognise that a lot of the times it IS actually your fault that the AI has hit you BECAUSE if you can't admit that then you will never correct/improve your personal driving behaviour and will always have the same problem.
    • Recognise that maybe the bots aren't perfect and make a little allowance for them..give them some room, let them pass if it's obvious they are quicker than you, don't cut in front of them, be patent and don't force a pass if it ain't there etc
    I've been playing R3E for the last 5 hours doing 15 lap races on various tracks with the GT3's and I can honestly say that 95% of the time if I was hit by a bot it was because of something that I had done. Most times it was because of my lack of situational awareness, defending too hard or trying to make a pass when the pass really wasn't there or getting mixed up in the middle off a multi-car bot battle in a corner.

There was only one time this evening where I felt that a bot was too aggressive but to be honest I don't mind because if I was racing online against real people I'm sure that more then a few of them would make dumber mistakes.

I wish I recorded the last 5 hours of gaming so I could show just how much close racing fun I had driving against the AI this-evening. It was white knuckle, panel rubbing, seat of your pants butt puckering fun.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt , as I said before, the problem with the game is that it does not have the option to regulate aggressiveness.

If you like a lot of aggressiveness you put it in 100%, in mi case 50%.

The problem is the lack of option, my driving behaviour es normal but de AI is so aggressive for me.

In the previous videos si so clear, never was my fault.

6. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    It has been explained to you so many times what's your problem, both here and in the RD forum. But you don't wanna understand it.
    This quote from @MattStone is a good recap of what most people said : "Just about every video I've seen of yours you are hit because of errors you have made"

7. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    RoccoTTS hello!!

It's not just my problem is that of dozens of players who complained about the same. I do not like dirty races I like to play normally.

As I said before the problem is the game not the driving style.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Right, I give up.
    Welcome to my ignore-list. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Let's break down some facts and concede for a moment that we are all right.
    • It's a given that we are all playing the same game using the same AI
    • I just ran 5x 10 lap races with the AI 120% and put myself 1st on the starting grid...my usual pace is around 112%.
      Whilst I was swamped by the AI at the start of every race, not once did I get rammed from behind or pushed off the track like you have illustrated in your video!
    • You are finding that the AI hit you unfairly in what you are perceiving as aggressive AI
    • You have multiple people (including me) on this forum and by the sounds of it in another forum telling that the AI are fantastic.
    • We have a few people sharing your problem.
    So I've proven the AI are not too aggressive!
    You've proven the AI are too aggressive!

So what are the different factors?
    • We are both running the same game and AI so it's not that.
    • Some of us can see that your driving has something to do with it but this afternoon I drove like my grandma, breaking too early and all over the road but the AI were still smart enough to avoid me! unless I didn't something really stupid but it was way more obvious then anything in your videos
    The only thing that I can think of, the only thing that is different between you and me are our PC's?
    If it was buggy game or the AI was too aggressive we should be both experiencing the same thing if we are driving the same way!

Without knowing your PC specs and settings the only thing that I can assume is that your PC processor is struggling to compute the millions of calculations needed to run the AI and therefor even if your car comes within the AI's hitbox range your pc can't compute fast enough to avoid the collision.

So if it's a CPU processing problem then an AI aggression slider would do nothing to solve the problem as it is not the AI aggression that is the problem. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the perceived AI aggression is just a symptom of some other problem with your hardware (including anyone else who experiences the same problem)

So after my testing this afternoon I don't blame your driving anymore and concede that you have been pushed around by the AI.

BUT you have to also concede and ponder: "If other people are not having this problem, why am I?"
    It has to be hardware/CPU related. It's the only explanation

So to test that theory set up a test race that uses the least processing power as possible by..
    • using the lowest graphics settings
    • a single class car (eg not GT3)
    • only 10 AI
    Oh and what are your PC specs?

10. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt zero problems with the hardware.

I do not understand what is the problem if the game incorporates the option to regulate aggressiveness?

11. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Because the AI behaviour that you are seeing is most likely a symptom of a different problem...an AI aggressiveness slide won't solve your problem

It is blatantly obvious that the AI are bugging out on you sometimes and to me that sounds like your CPU can't keep up with the required calculations to prevent the collisions

You need to understand that many of us do not have this issue.....why do you think that is?

You say your pc isn't the problem ...
    What are your pc specs?
    What settings do you run at?

If you are not willing to work with me here to help look for solutions just say so and I'll ignore your posts like everyone is starting to do.

12. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    That would imply that the AI calculations are not a fixed set of algorithms but fall back to simpler calculations when a certain CPU load is reached or a certain level of HW is detected by RR. While it is not impossible I highly doubt that such a mechanism is built in the AI. Usually if the HW cannot keep up with the calculations you would see a drop in frame rates or worst case a crash (of the computer, not the AI). Maybe one of the devs could clarify that for us.

13. Rujasu

Rujasu New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can't provide definitive proof right now but I have done a long race with like a hundred GT3 cars or so on the Nordschleife. Game ran surprisingly fine but the AI were abysmal. I could pass several cars through the outside around the carousel.

Last I checked with a much smaller number of cars, they certainly weren't THAT slow.

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    generally unless it bugs i believe the 8-10 cars closes to you within 100m are the most intelligent Ai wise

Andi

15. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Is this an urban legend or is it true? I believe it is almost impossible to establish empirical. We would need to know from the quants. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's sorta what I thought at first BUT I've noticed a few things that tend to make me think otherwise
    1. the less AI on track the smarter they appear to be. (tends to say the CPU doesn't have to share the love around and can focus all it's processing power on fewer AI)

2. When I just recently upgraded my CPU from a i920 to a 8700K I'm sure the AI got a whole lot smarter as well.
      I'm running GT3 with 34 cars on track and the AI are bloody fantastic. I've had amazing side by side white knuckle racing and they do some of the best passes on me taking advantage of my mistakes...since my upgrade I can't remember one time when they ran me off the track where I thought it wasn't my fault

3. When I i had the i920 it felt like the more frame rates I had...the smarter the AI was
      I had the 1080ti with the i920 and the CPU was a huge bottle neck and my CPU was running at 100% flat at around 55fps on my tipple screens with shadows turned on.
      If I turned the shadows off I got a pretty consistent 80-90 fps and I'm sure the ai were less of a problem
      I could run 24 cars but I did notice some of things Nano is finding. If I ran 12 cars the AI was pretty good.
    So to be honest the only explanation I can assume is that the maybe the number calculations made to determine their accuracy is determined by how much the CPU can handle!

The faster the CPU > The more the CPU can check the location of AI and Player > The more accurate the AI is.

I'd love a dev to confirm that :)

If it's not that what else could it be that Nano is experiencing as I'm not getting any stupid AI mistakes like he's seeing!
    And I promise I haven't added an AI aggression slider to the game LOL

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  17. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt Stone

Specs

Intel i56400 2,7ghz 4cpu

16384 ram

Radeon R9380 GDDR5

Asustek Maximus VIII Formula

A curious question do you work in Sector 3 Studios?.

18. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Nah I don't work at Sector 3....
    I've just spent a lot of time trying to get my old PC running smooth with triple screen and through that experience I've noticed a few things.

I'd think your specs should be fine ..especially if you are only running one monitor

Two things..
    What frame rates are you getting? (gives us an idea on how stressed your hardware is)
    Have you tried racing with just 10 cars on the track? If so did they behave better or were they still ramming off the track?

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not a dev here, but can confirm that this is not the case anymore, at least not entirely. (Sorry ;) )
    This change in November 2017 makes it so the closest 8 cars including yours will always be calculated using the highest logic update rate. So the AIs in your direct vicinity should always be "smartest" regardless of how many there are in total.
    Maybe this change coincidentally coincided with your hardware upgrade?
    However, I do think that there's still some truth in this:
    If your CPU is working on or close to its limit I would still think that process prioritising and whatnot might have a negative impact on the overall performance, including AI.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @MattStone you're splitting hairs here, it has nothing to do with hardware. I watched @Nano 10 videos on Racedepartment and I'll be the 101 person to say he needs to lower the AI difficulty (by a lot) and be more consistent with his driving (especially if attempting to race at Nordschleife). It's not AI's aggressiveness, but you being way too slow and erratic.

1) Try an easier track first
    2) Learn the racing line and drive consistent lap times one after the other
    3) Choose a PROPER AI difficulty based on your lap times and finally
    4) Go racing

Until then, you'll keep complaining about the AI

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: May 24, 2018