AI drivers probably hate my guts...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcson, Sep 26, 2018.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian
    It absolutely fascinates and intrigues me how the AI works; the program logic must be in credible and the number of calculations per millisecond for AI cars to react, attack and defend must be huge.

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Illustrating Zolder chicane, and AI. A bit aggressive the line is. For itself stll acceptable, but it could cause problems if player is passing the chicane and AI behind tries to attack him on the inside of the right handed exit, maybe surprising the player who may not expect being attacked with that vector.

And this, nice player-AI duelling.

And a 20 minute race at Monza, during which a formidable all-race-long duel between Player (86) and AI (902) unfolded, changing positions several times. Maybe use the slider a bit during the first half. Clean driving from both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Btw, for those who haven't figured out what went wrong in this video:

here's a bit of a hint.
    This is exactly what not to do when racing against the AI (Raceroom or otherwise)
    He doesn't know the cars, he doesn't know the tracks.
    He hasn't even set up the FFB, so the first major crash he has nearly breaks his hand.
    Doesn't have a clue as to what level to run, he just arbitrarily picks 93 because "that's what I use in AC".
    Never mind the fact that the AC AI level only goes to 100, whereas R3E goes to 120.....
    Running qualifying might have been a good idea to see where he stacks up first, but apparently not needed.
    Second race he complains that the AI brakes too early, but doesn't apparently notice that he's running lap-times that are 3 seconds faster than the AI.
    He even has people in his own chat telling him that the AI is set too low, fer chrissakes.

None of which is to be taken as an attack on SimRacingPaddock, he just had the bad luck of someone else trying to use it to illustrate the 'bad' AI in R3E.
    But the two combos did look like fun, so I decided to give it a whirl myself.
    Same game, same cars, same tracks.
    The only difference is that when it comes to R3E, I actually have a small clue as to what I'm doing.
    So let's see what happens to the hyper-aggressive and homicidal R3E AI when you take it a bit more seriously than just flinging yourself into a race without any practice.

The GTR1 race wasn't as clean as I would've liked, but considering that it's only the second time I've run at Motegi, and the first time I've ever run the GTR1s, it was perfectly acceptable.
    The DTM race on the other hand was FUN. :D

EDIT: Typo-corrections.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    @CheerfullyInsane
    Nice, competitive races :)
    I don't really like this guy from Simracing Paddock... He doesn't seem too competent. He has done a serious reviev of a 7nm direct drive wheel from Simplicity by.... lowering his simucube torque to 7nm. Well... a bad method for any comparision

So it finally happened. An AI bumped me a little bit and... spun :D I couldn't resist giggling after this one thinking to myself "In your face! For all of those times you had hit me and just drove away!"

Anyway, I took all of your advices to my mind and had some great races lastly (or maybe because I didn't race a DTM?). I even decided to lower the AI difficulty a little. I expect AI to hit me in such ways I presented in my racing future but... who cares :)

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't know. Three days ago, I'd never heard of him. :)

Probably. I'm in no way saying that the AI is perfect in R3E.
    In the above DTM race I actually get whacked pretty hard in a braking-zone, which is the first time in ages that has happened.
    So incidents do happen, both against the AI and in MP races. It's arguably a part of racing.

What I (and others) am saying is that you can avoid most incidents by treating the AI like human drivers, instead of treating it like any other AI.
    Again taking the above DTM race as an example, I know that the AI tends to force the issue going through turns 4,5 and 6.
    (The twisty bit going over the hill after the back straight)
    So whenever I have someone right on my tail in that section, I try to take a defensive line so he can't get alongside me.
    If you don't want someone challenging your position, take away his ability to do so. Simples. :)
    Mind you, it doesn't always work. :D
    Sometimes I mess up the turns and I'm out of position in which case I have to let the AI get past. No point in fighting for a corner if you're already out of position.

But the most important bit (IMO) is still getting the right level set.
    Make no mistake, if I accidentally set the AI to 5-6 levels higher than it should be, I'm going to get run over as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah even I’ll admit that DTM ai has issues. I have a similar problem.
    I don’t have these sort of issues with the GT cars and WTCRs but the DTMs are frustrating

7. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Nico Kunze

In the video two in addition to the problems in braking points, aggressiveness, lack of awareness, strange behavior etc etc, you can see a physics of the cars totally unreal.

Think that the weight of the DTM depends on the season are on average 1,100 / 1,200 kg but move as if they ran on ice or as rockets.

They continue to accumulate drivers, testimonials, videos trying to contribute ideas and improve the game but the AI is getting worse.

And this does not just happen in DTM.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I haven’t raced on Bathurst but I will next time I game and I usually race with 25 cars so I’m not sure how that factors in.

I could imagine that the ai might have some trouble with the tight curves across the top of the mountain down through the dipper so you got me curious now

9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes, those videos dont look good.So do the physics. Ultra light weight toy car physics.

See if you get this behaviour with DTM2016 or GT3 as examples (latest physics standard). Or the Audi VLN (second last phxsics standard). All these give me very good experiences. I also like the door and bumper kissing in GT1,2.

That the AI varies across car classes has been described since longer time.

Open wheelers also are difficult to judge, due to the - open wheels making contact easily. The aI doe snot do the same job in all open wheeler classes in avoiding this. But then, many players, myself included, suck at avoiding that, too. :D

Try to

10. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    One thing to bear in mind with the GT3s is that it's a big class, something like 140 cars in it IIRC.
    And since each car comes with his own driver (and thus talent-file) picking 14 out of 140 may give bigger discrepancies than normal.
    It's not something I've looked at, but I'd try it with something like the GT Masters instead of GT3.
    Only 18 or so cars in that class, and it's the same cars.

As for the DTMs, they're not all that bad.
    Granted, it's harder to get them to cooperate than e.g. Audi TTs, but I'm not convinced it's an issue with the DTMs themselves.
    You get the same type of behaviour (to some extent) with e.g. the P1s and FRXs.
    I suspect it has more to do with these high-downforce cars being much quicker, and braking a helluva lot harder.
    So the closing-speeds are much higher and thus the necessary reaction-times become much shorter.
    Although it should also be said that high-downforce cars really isn't my thing, so it's pretty rare that I race them in the first place.
    But I did the DTM16 at Suzuka yesterday, and even though there were a few more contacts than usual, nothing punted me off-track.
    Even managed to go side-by-side through the chicane a couple of times.

11. DMJ77

DMJ77 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Although I've only played a few hours of Raceroom so far, it seems to me that hitting a car from the door handles back is just a instant spin for hitting/attacking car, no matter what the laws of Physics say. I get why, trying to prevent trolling online and such, but if you play any other racing game, it will quickly drive you mad.