Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean sitting in the car to watch the race of course, that has no sense and as you say there's probably an auto kick feature after X amount of time without any inputs. In case of severe damage in a short race i would like to be able retire to the pits and spectate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Ranking is calculated based on your place on the grid in relation to other drivers. So you would most probably loose rank. I don't know about reputation.

3. Owldy

Owldy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dear ravey1981,

I find your reply is lacking a large amount of respect. I may not be an elitist like yourself but my opinions and experience matter just as much as any other driver.

I do not appreciate being the target of your nasty, cruel and mocking tone and I would like to receive an apology though I doubt you will have the decency to own your faults. Prove me wrong, by all means.

If you need me to quote your disrespect then I will, but I pray it does not escalate that far.

As for the “5 points, which is absolutely no big deal in yhe grand scheme of things.” I got 5 points from one incident that I cannot be held accountable for. If I gain five points for an incident that gives me only 4 other allowances (judging that I don’t make ONE SINGLE mistake.) If I then get involved in a 5th incident I’m out of the race. I get a total of 6 incidents in a single race, NOT factoring in simple off-track, wall clipping and door rubing incidents.

It is rare that you will be involved in an incident and not run off the track or have contact with a wall or other car. For an incident on lap 1 you could easily amass over 10 points.
    In one race I received points for spinning my car (I guess that’s ok, I made a mistake). I then got further points for remaining still while other cars passed me safely. (Oh yes that sounds good, punish someone for not ruining other people’s races, good idea). Ok so everyone has passed, lets spin the car back around and keep going. (Oh, what’s that, I get another incident point for turning my car the right way around?)

I’m not going to argue that the system needs to be removed. All of this is aimed at moving RaceRoom forwards and I support that but the system needs its incident sensitivity lowered.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You need to remember that it's not only the amount of incidents that counts. I think my average is 10-15+ incidents per race and my rep is still very high. Because I still drive clean most of the time. I usually start 15-20 and usually move up about 5 places on the first laps. I rarely have more than 1 car to car collision per race. Usually it's none. I get the incidents from off tracks, static objects collisions, etc.
    I alway look in my mirrors before barking zones and I always leave space if I suspect someone might try to outbrake me and try to position myself to have better exit from the corner. It somehow magically works.

There is this motorsport journalist that said you can tell a great race driver from a good one by the number of incidents they haven't been guilty of. Great drivers just don't have incidents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    As it has been stated countless times before: it's just not possible to automatically put blame on anybody in a car to car collision in a fair way. Giving both drivers the same amount of incident points is the best way possible. Any intentional wrecker or careless driver will over time collect LOTS of incidents, while a clean driver only collects them once in a while - regardless who is to blame or not. Thus it will play out OK in the long run.

At the moment the ranked servers are just a test on collecting data. So no real consequences for anything. This is why you still have wreckers and just plain careless drivers on them. When the fledged out system will go live, server admins will be able to limit server allowance to drivers with a minimum reputation. Then you will get rid of wreckers very quickly, you will race only responsible drivers and collisions that make you collect any incidents will become very rare and really not important. But whining about how bad the system is based on the data collection beta test is enormously pointless, really.

And @Owldy you do know that you probably caused flag warnings for all other drivers when you parked your car beside the track? Like with anything that gave you incidents after that first collision this is solely your own fault and collecting incidents for this is actually what the incident system is supposed to do. This is what @ravey1981 was pointing out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Owldy

Owldy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yoori, all you have told me is you are already a great driver with great levels of awareness, good cautious planning and a brilliant safety rating yet you still score OVER 50% of the incident points and that can be without a car to car collision.

It is an open server for everyone to enjoy yet I keep finding myself in a race chasing people down for them to be disconnected before I can race them.

What do I need to say to prove that the incident systems is too sensitive and too board and the punishment is too harsh?

And let me add that “Great drivers just don’t have incidents” is a huge lie.
    Example:
    Niki Lauda
    Nigel Mansell
    Jim Clark
    Colin McRae (for those rally fans)
    Michael Schumacher

And let’s not forget Aryton Senna shall we.

I’m not trying to be an arse about this (I realise I am) but come on, who on Earth are you quoting?

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    5 points through no fault of your own, which would still have led to an increase in your reputation had you not gained yourself another 25 by your driving. As I said. Keep it on the track.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. Owldy

Owldy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok let’s recap

The victim/blame system: I agree with what you said @Arthur Spooner and I accept it won’t work.
    Overly severe punishments: Obviously my suggestion has been ignored so let’s forget the whole thing shall we. Not going to waste time writing things if they are not going to be read.

@ravey1981 , thank you for your apology. It was so elegantly avoided it was beautiful to read.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    First of all I haven't said I'm a great driver. Far from it. I said I try to be cautious about other cars and it pays off.

Where is this system too harsh? Incident points alone aren't a punishment. Drop in reputation score is and you can actual lot gain reputation while still having simmer incidents. I think that's fair. Check your score. I bet it's not that bad.

Reputation system is there to score you're ability to drive safely. So standing still on track, going off track and having collisions has to count as lack of competence overall or with particular car/track.

At things stage it a data gathering experiment and not a fully functional system. Calculations are tweaked like every week.

Feedback is necessary, negative as well. You just seem very intense about it and your argument are not solid at least to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Just wow.

Your ridiculous passive aggressive overreaction to pretty accurate post of ravey proves your approach to discussion is similar to your approach to racing. Small colision in the beginning of the race can throw you off just as easily as a forums post which doesn't fully agree with yours.

I just pitty people who have to deal with you daily face to face, assuming you have the same attitude in real life.

11. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Drama queen incoming!

Unreal, i snipped the rest, but oh, err, wait for it, wow, just wow!!!!!!

Ravey means well but does come across as condecending, patronising and a little arrogant at times, then you have to take into consideration language barriers and things lost in translation, an answer like yours, just like mine, no need!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  12. vicnet11

vicnet11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I try to get in and the game give me "kick of from the server....." . My internet conexion is good. This happend since the new servers are on line.
    Open Speed Test giive me:
    Download: 31.05 Mbps
    Jitter: 6 Ms
    Ping: 35.0 Ms
    Upload: 6.50 Mbps

Anyone knows what happend?

13. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Theres a ping limit of 250ms to the ranked servers aswell as added regional servers now. (3 in US, 2 in Japan and i think 5 in Europe). Many people were complaining lately about racing high ping players.
    Are you connecting to the server in your region?

I felt sad that the only options for Asia are GT4 and GT3. But I understand why that is..

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  14. vicnet11

vicnet11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Matt. I read about the ping limit. before i played in Europe servers but not anymore but I can play in public servers and they works fine. There are 8 servers in Europe with different car classes, USA and ASIA only 3. Is a lot of difference if the RR's people wants to build a ranking system. May be the solution will be, servers with less cars (until 20). That way we won’t feel so discriminated against.
    Regards

15. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    In a normal race i wouldnt care about stuff like this but if my rating and reputation are at stake id rather not see such last corner maneuvers.. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Probably just missed his brake point!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Good point :D

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to forward that video though and see if there's anything can be done to stop this kind of thing.....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Salzburgring has very effective bollards to prevent chicane cutting.They could be used elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i vote for quick sand

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1