Pit to car radio app available - work in progress

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Doh, I've spotted it. If you're in tenth it uses the files folder for 1st. Trivial fix but will be an hour before I can do it. Thanks Georg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Georg in tenth? Georg, you lost a tyre or something? :p

Great that you've spotted it mr_b.

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Still not sure why it didn't congratulate Georg for winning. Perhaps it hates him :)

Anyway, updated version's now on Google Drive with the P10 bug fixed

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    :D
    I guess his PC is just getting bored of him winning. ^^ Or his internal win counter has reached its maximum...

Thanks for the update.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. chrisserockt

chrisserockt New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tried the app for the first time today and it's great :) fantastic job :D

6. spin209

spin209 Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    All Korean user thanks~~

7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yet another update...

I've added a new event which triggers every 5 minutes and tells you how long you've been in the current session (for sessions that don't have a fixed number of laps). This should be helpful in non DTM races (timed rather than a number of laps) where it sometimes can be difficult to know how long you've got left to race. Note that I can't actually tell how long you've got left to race (the required info isn't in the data block), only how long you've actually been racing. So you need to have a look at the Session Info screen before you start :)

• Like Like x 5
  8. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I had a little more hacking time today and managed to fiddle with background noise.

I recorded a couple of minutes pit lane sound in a DTM 2014 session (parked in the pitlane with the player volume at zero). This sound is loaded into an instance of WindowsMedia player by the app. When a set of events triggers these are played by the existing audio player (the built in C# one), and that WMP instance is set to some random offset (background clip length - 30 seconds) and played concurrently with the events sounds.

This is all incredibly hacky at the moment - hard coded, DTM 2014 background only, and generally grotty but it does work. I'm reluctant to take this much further as PixelJetStream is in the middle of porting the code over to Lua, and running 2 separate sound player libraries from the C# app isn't a nice approach. I raise this here because I was wondering if it's worth tidying this up a little and putting it in the app - note that there's no way to know what kind of race series is going on, so it'd always be playing DTM 2014 background noise

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to post an "awesome app" post. Ran it over the weekend, downloaded the walkie talkie samples and had an awesome experience!

Keep it going!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. taxfree

taxfree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yup, maybe the beep and the squelch should be seperated.
    And then I think mr_belowski can handle that easily with his code.
    Also more variation sample of the beep would be nice.

The backgound noise is from its own sample.
    It was magnified while applying some effects.
    But it feels more natural for me.
    Anyway the old school type sample has no background noise and is nice too.
    Thanks!

11. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    The app supports multiple beep files (just add them next to the current one and it'll choose at random) but there's no distinction between a start and an end beep. I can add this very easily though - it'll take 10 minutes.

I'm testing another update which mixes a background file in with the radio transmission. Technically it's a grotty solution but it does work. The background is a recording of the game from the pit lane and if the app detects that the pit window is open (DTM only) it selects a different background (recorded when cars were pitting).

So all the event messages should be recorded without background (other than whatever white noise or whatever effect you want) and let the app add the pit lane noise.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Right... I've uploaded a new version. This adds a new event which tells you how long you've been in the current session (every 5 minutes), and adds real time mixing of background sounds. These 2 additions have increased the file size by quite a lot because there are loads of session time messages, and the background files are big.

I've got a bit of work to do with the background sounds so I'll try and do this tomorrow, but for the time being it does appear to work OK. When you cross the start-finish line it should really be using a background sound that's guaranteed to have the 'neee-oooww' of at least one car whizzing past in the background. It's shouldn't be hard to do this.

You can adjust the level of the background noise from 0 to 1 - the setting is background_volume in CrewChief.exe.config. It defaults to 0.9 currently but i think this might be a bit intrusive for some.

Machwebb - how's the recording work going? Sorry to add loads more sounds to the list :(

• Like Like x 2
  13. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I'll take a look at the new version and see if i can start chipping away at it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    just noticed an issue in the game state resetting. When online, sometimes the game time doesn't appear to start at zero. When you move from qual to the race, the game time is at some non-zero value (presumably this is the server's game time? I dunno...). This means that the game state in the app doesn't always get reset when going from qual to the race. Will fix that soon

15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    added an additional check (if the 'game time' in the sim is less than the last 'game time' in my app, it must be a new session so clear the state) so this issue should now be squashed

• Like Like x 2
  16. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    mr_belowski, sir! this app is just awesome! thank you.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    largely untested, but the Lua github version is now pretty close to c# next up I will improve the "simulations" system to be file-based as well and add simulations to test the various events.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Just used it the first 2 halfhourraces of our GTR3 championship and i really liked it! :D
    Bit motivative when necessary, bit satisfying when running well and informative in a right way..
    Thanks guys!

19. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hey @joaovidal62,
    You don't need to place the file anywhere, just unzip and run the crewchief.exe file. Once you've set it running, start the game. It finds your install automatically.
    You need to start the crewchief app first, every time, before you start raceroom.

20. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Tried it last night and I'm impressed. Very well done.

• Agree Agree x 1